HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Noticed change in texture of hair? Noticed change in texture of hair?

Unread 03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Noticed change in texture of hair?

I had my ovaries removed January 23rd of this year. Since then, I have noticed a big change in the texture of my hair. It's much frizzier than normal. It's also very coarse. Is this possibly caused by the hormone change? I'm taking Estratest.
Have any of you experienced this? Is there anything I can do to get it soft again?
Melissa
Unread 03-11-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswanson502
I had my ovaries removed January 23rd of this year. Since then, I have noticed a big change in the texture of my hair. It's much frizzier than normal. It's also very coarse. Is this possibly caused by the hormone change? I'm taking Estratest.
Have any of you experienced this? Is there anything I can do to get it soft again?
Melissa
You are still so early post-op that I would suspect anesthesia, and all that is related to the actual surgical procedure itself. That's a bigger insult to your body than HRT and I understand that anesthesia can affect your hair, among other things. We're all different - just something to think about.
Unread 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Melissa,
I have problems with my hair after each surgery I've had after the hysterectomy. I also had major issues after my tah/bso. Anethesia and anti botics seems to affect me in the scalp and hair the most! Since my hysterectomy I take Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oil, which has helped. I also pamper my hair more. Here's an interesting thread about hair issues The Hair Report

Have you discussed this issue with your doctor? Do talk with your doctor before taking any supplements.

Unread 03-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Hi Melissa!

Since beginning Estratest, my hair has gotten wavy and thicker and my nails stronger....and I love it! I had stick-straight and body-less hair before, and my nails always tore off even if I put on hardener. Now I can grow such nice long nails that people assume they are fake!

But if your hair was thick and curly to begin with, I can understand you wouldn't need a "boost" in that department. I suggest that you ask an experienced hairdresser to recommend a product to soften and tame your hair.

Best wishes,
Unread 03-25-2008, 11:28 PM

yep....I had my subtotal with left ovary removal Dec 27 and my hair is even straighter and limper than before...use volume boosting products to no real avail

Looking forward to getting my tests back from ZRT labs so I can get on my bioidentical hormones. While I think the stress from the surgery and anesthesia is a contributing factor, I do think horsmones make a HUGE difference.

I remember my mother have a TAH when she was 36 and she had wonderful wavy hair, thick....then it just went flat....don;t know if she is on HRT or not...either way I am fighting tooth and nail LOL

Good luck and no, youre not alone I feel most the time like I am living in an alien body...

Hugs
Michelle
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:52 PM

I am so glad to see this post!!! I had a LAVH/BSO i'm 3 weeks post-op, I actually cut my hair before surgery so that it would be easier to manage since its curly, and put a lite straightner in it (didnt work burned cause of hormones and antibiotics a little 411) anyway my hair is very thin to begin..I was hysterically crying yesterday (my first emotional outburst thankyu) Because in the shower it was coming out and no matter how much condioner i used while wet it felt so corse and nasty like easter grass you know all bunched up..and thats how it looks it back. I am on Premarin for the 3 weeks thought maybe thats a side effect. I have been using this olive oil serum, and a leave in condioner (spelling sorry), I will blow dry it flat so it feels softer for the day, until i wake up after night sweats then its all yucky again..Years ago we used to use a mayo & egg in our hair and wrapped it for about 30 mins to a hour, I might try it again now that i am grown up. I turned 35 and i am concerned tho cause my skin is doing the same thing it feels horrible no matter what lotion, and looks even worse, very very dry, scaly, then my arms are bumpy..Well have a great night, and happy hair and skin remedies..Lots of Hugges.
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM

Ditto - coarser, thicker, wavier!
Whose hair IS THIS!?
Unread 04-03-2008, 08:38 AM
hair

Does it change and go back to normal? Mine is getting worse by the day,..Any suggestions on a shampoo or condiontioner? I get my eyebrows waxed and i used to be able to go at least 3 weeks, now its like 3 days the hair is fully grown back, forget about shaving..My skin even feels weird..HMM i'm not happy.
Unread 04-03-2008, 05:54 PM

My hair was straight and flat. Now it's wavy and full. John Frieda makes shampoo and conditioner for blonde, red and brunette hair. In the brunette line there is one called lustrous touch smoothing shampoo. After I used it for about a week it really did make my hair softer and shiny. I am still shedding a lot of hair but hairdresser says no balding and it feels thicker.
Just one more mystery to add to our lists. Does anyone know if the shedding goes on forever?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.