HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Fibroids & long periods Fibroids & long periods

Unread 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Fibroids & long periods

SABINA FROM INDIA ASKS,

I am 43 years old. Felt fortunate to have come across your site. I was detected with fibroids at the age of 38 years when the size of the biggest fibroid was 5.5 cm x 6.5 cm and 2 small fibroids. The then doctor advised surgery but I thought I'd wait and watch. Over a period of 5 years , the biggest one has grown to 8.0 cm x 7.5 cms (12 wk pegnency size). During this period have tried all sorts of options -- Birth Control Pills, Homeopathy, Allopathy ... All these years I have had heavy bleeding for 2 days and my period lasted for 6-7 days. The cycle was regular. Since October'07 the cycle has gone erratic and periods last from anything between 10-15 days. In October '07 my periods stopped after 16 days after the Doctor gave me 'Trapic MF' to stop the bleeding. The only 'Treatment Option' I got from her was 'Hysterectomy'(She knew I had a Medical Insurance). She also asked me to take a course of 'Clingen Plus' just in case there was an infection. December, January, Februay --- my periods lasted from 7 to 10 days. This month (March), today is the 13th day and it is still on .. accompanied with pelvic pressure thought the bleeding was not heavy for the first time in 6 years. Today I have started with 'Trapic MF' again. Lets see how it goes ... I'm confused what to do .. should I go ahead with Hysterectomy ... are my fibroids too big or is it common to have such symptoms at this age? But after reading comments from my other friends, I am skeptical about surgical procedures.
Please Help !!!

Thanks & best regards

Sabina
Unread 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Fibroids & long periods

Sabina, I'm also 43, with similar problems to you.

My fibroids were the same size, putting pressure on my other porgans and causing infections. Also heavy periods meant I was anaemic and also very restricted when I was having a period.

My periods were not anywhere near as long as yours, quite regular, only about 5/7 days.

I was not happy with the options which included medication and injections.

Fibroids are hormone fed, so I was told that menapause would shrink them - but I could be 10 years from that. My fibroids were becoming more invasive and affecting my quality of life.

I had a SAH ( sub total abdominal hysterectomy), which ment a smiley face incision, kept ovaries and cervix.

I was told that I needed an abdominal because of the size of the fibroids.

You sound like you've tried quite a few non-surgery options, but are still suffering.

I think you come to the point where you realise that quality of life is so poor that something has to be done - that for me was the hyster. Your symptoms are not normal for our age. If your symptoms are interfering with your life, you need to do something.

You need to keep reading, try and find what all your options are.

I'm glad I had the surgery, but everyone is different. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

There is loads of help and support on this site. Keep asking questions.
Hope this helps...
Take care
x
Unread 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Fibroids & long periods

Hi Sabina,

First off..I agree...fibroids are not fun!!

It sounds like you have gotten a couple of opinions...wihich is always a great idea.

Possibly you are a good candidate for a myomectomy, removal of the fibroids only?? Or a UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization), a procedure that shrinks fibroids and leaves the uterus intact??

Or possibly you are a good candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a TVH, a LAVH, a LSH or the DaVinci Robotic?? You might go to the *Hysterectomy Checkpoints* link at the top of the web site..click..and go to the *Pre-op* area. Scroll down and it goes over the ~different~ types of hysts and questions to ask the Dr.

When I was diagnosed with two fibroids, they measured totally..a 15 week pregnancy. Yikes..I was scared!! My Dr. wanted to do an abdominal hyst. I decided to get a 2nd opinion and he suggested I do (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for a laparoscopic hyst. Lupron is not for everyone and you might check it out. After (3) months of lupron, my fibroids had shrunk to a 9 week pregnancy size and I had my LSH, a less invasive hyst.

I am still very pleased with the results. Since my surgery in 2004, I have seen several Hyster Sisters post with larger uterus size with fibroids then I had at the time of my hyst...and they were having a less invasive hyst.

I agree with Ellie 64 that my ~quality of life~ was being affected. I also had long periods...sometimes gushing when I stood up from a seated position on a couch or chair. It was embarassing sometimes!! I also had pelvic pressure 24/7, bladder incontinence and no energy.

Both my Drs told me that if I had done a wait-and-see with my fibroids, they would have most likely kept growing. A *big* motivating factor at the time for me to have my laparoscopic hyst was that I knew I was a good candidate right then...for a less invasive hyst. If I had waited... I might have only been a candidate for an abdominal hyst.

Generally, a hyst for fibroids is an elective surgery...a quality of life issue...and that can make the decision making more difficult. In the end...just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Fibroids & long periods

Thank you so much ellie64 and historylady for sharing your wisdom with me. I want more support from all of you in this troubled time of mine.
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Fibroids & long periods

My history is somewhat similar to yours - although I had Lupron to stop the bleeding - not familiar with Trapic MF. It was 5 years from diagnosis to when I decided that surgery was the best option. However, I am 52, should have been close to going into menopause and my Dr didn't really think the fibroids would shrink much when I went into menopause (I think she was most likely right). They were big - I looked about 4 months pregnant and the Lupron shots had become less effective in shrinking the fibroids than they had been when I first stared with it (altho Lupron stopped the bleeding, which was good).
Have you had a 2nd opinion yet? There are other options - maybe you'd be a good candidate for UFE, a basically non-invasive radiological procedure? Other options are available if you don't want a hysterectomy. My feeling is that to go with the surgery, you need to be 100% sure that it is the ONLY treatment that will cure the problem and that you can't live with the problem any longer. Mariah
Unread 03-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Fibroids & long periods

Thank you MORGAINEC for sharing your wisdom with me. I want more support from all of you in this troubled time of mine
Unread 03-15-2008, 04:45 AM
Fibroids & long periods

BooBoo--

I am 46 years old. I had very similar symptoms as you describe. I wish I had gotten my hysterectomy sooner. I waited until I was bleeding every day of the month and ended up in the ER. The hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did for myself. I feel a thousand times better. In my experience the fibroids become larger, the bleeding becomes worse and the other options besides hysterectomy either work temporarily or not at all. I had the hysterectomy and in six weeks I felt great. I no longer have to worry about heavy bleeding, anemia or fearing what else could happen. I know the decision is difficult but why feel like this for one more day when you do not have to.
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Fibroids & long periods

Thanks DONNA10908 for a simple but very encouraging opinion. Shall ponder over it. I need to make a decision soon as age may not be on my side after sometime. Thanks once again...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway