HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Numbness/Tingling in right leg -- Nerve damage? Numbness/Tingling in right leg -- Nerve damage?

Unread 03-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Numbness/Tingling in right leg -- Nerve damage?

Here's one....

Ever since I woke up from my 6 hour TVH, AP Repair, and anal sphincteroplasty I've noticed this numbess and/or tingling feeling running down my right thigh just past the knee. It hasn't changed in intensity at all. It doesn't get better or worse. It's just there. It feels just like the spots on my gall bladder scar and my tubal ligation scar where the nerves never healed completely.

Has any experienced this? If so, was it temporary, long-term, permanent, etc.? I know that certain nerve damage was a risk. I'm just curious.
Unread 03-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Denise,

I've had numbness in both legs especially around the knee and back of knee area. My doctor told me that this is totally normal from being in the stirrups during surgery for over three hours. I've already noticed some return of sensation in my left leg in the last 24 hours. Hang in there and hopefully you will regain sensation soon; 6 hours in surgery was a long time for you.
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:07 PM

I called the sensations I had "pins & needles, without the pins & needles". The skin was numb but not the limb itself. I had it in both legs and even in one arm one day. It lasted longer in my legs - maybe a few days to a week (I should have kept a diary !). My surgery started as a TVH but quickly turned into a 4 hour TAH.
Hang in there - I've learned that the body does some strange things after a serious surgery like this.
I've also learned to never be afraid to call the doctor even if I think the question is stupid. I've called him three times so far and he's been wonderful each and every time.
All the best
Unread 03-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Thank you, Joann. I'm thinking more and more this is just part of the healing process. I had progress today.....took a shower all by myself! LOL Now I can spend the rest of the day in bed feeling I accomplished at least a little something.
Unread 03-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Denise - I know those slow and steady accomplishments. Believe me, you'll be feeling much better very soon. I'm 25 days post op and other than some bloating I feel great - better than I did pre op.
Be sure to rest up ALOT. Don't push anything. I'm taking my 6 weeks of recovery time (TAH) for all its worth. How many chances to rest like this will we really get in our lifetimes ??? LOL
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
numbness in leg

Hello everyone,

I'm so glad I found this site.
I had an abdominal hysterectomy on 3/7/08.
I must say, it was the best decision for me...I feel great!
I have really bounced back to the surprise of family & friends.
The only problem I have been experiencing is numbness in my right thigh. I was really getting anxious until I read your replies. I'm not as anxious , but I will still contact my Dr. on Monday. Does anyone have any tips on what I should be doing to improve the situation??
Thanks so much .
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM

I don't really have any "advice" but I have the numbness and tingling which starts just above my right knee and ends just below. Sometimes I reach down because I think something is wrapped around it. I asked my doc about it when I was there on Thursday and she told me if was from the 6 hours I spent in the lithotomy position and the pressure of the stirrups on the back of my thighs. We haven't really addressed it 'cause we're dealing with a lot of other things right now but I'm thinking it's one of those things that may or may not come back. It just depends on how much nerve damage their may have been.

Blessings,
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:43 PM
numbness in leg

Hi Denise,

Thanks so much for your reply.
I will speak to my Dr. . Possible numbness was never mentioned as a "side effect". I found it strange that it didn't start untill almost 2 weeks after surgery....it is annoying but to hear frrom others about their recovery I know I have been truly blessed...
wishing you my best!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.