Staples Does it hurt taking them out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Staples  Does it hurt taking them out? Staples Does it hurt taking them out?

Unread 07-24-2001, 01:43 PM
Staples Does it hurt taking them out?

Could anyone please tell me if it hurt when they took your staples out? I have 15 of them and they are sore already and a little red. I can feel them pulling and I am sure it will be better when they are removed tommorrow. Just wondering that since some of the sensation has come back into that area if it hurts when they come out? Did you take anything before going to the doctors? I was thinking of taking my pain pill 1 hour before going to the doctors. At least my regular doctor will not be removing them but my nurse. And I know she will try and be as gentle as possible...

Hugs,

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2001, 01:59 PM
No pain at all....

They took my staples out 2 days post-op.I didnt feel anything at all because it was all still numb there.I think it is a good idea to take the pain meds before you go as long as you have someone to drive you there.At least then if you do feel some discomfort it will help with it.
Unread 07-24-2001, 02:45 PM

Michelle,

In all honesty, it stung a bit. But it wasn't too bad -- it was quick and then the stinging stopped until the next one came out.

It sounds like you feel safe with your nurse, since you said she was gentle. That will help a lot. Tell her how you're feeling when she's doing it. Some people like it done quickly, no matter what. I found it easier if she stopped after 2-3, just for a few seconds, and then started again.

Another thing that helped me was having her take them from various places, instead of going in order ... this way, it gave one area a chance to recover before she went back to the same area again. That really helped me a lot.

The whole thing only took about 10 minutes or so. And I felt so incredible after it was over. Somehow having those staples out made a lot of difference to me, in how I felt about recovery.

Hang in there -- it will be over before you know it.

Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2001, 03:07 PM
took a pain pill

i was afraid of painduring ride to dr so i took pain pill. i didnt have only one that hurt coming out,i wonder if that is because i had 2 c-sections last one thirteen yrs ago. so for all this time that area has been numb. not sure but what ever reason it didnt really hurt Sandy:sing:
Unread 07-24-2001, 03:18 PM

I took a Vicodin about an hour before mine came out. They were starting to poke me and burn, so I was looking forward to getting them out. Some of them stung, depending on far out they were.
Not bad though....

Take care,
Eve
Unread 07-24-2001, 04:22 PM

Hi Michelle!

I just wanted to let you know that like the pre-op waiting, the dread is worse than the actual event. It does sting a bit, but with the aide of a pain pill-which you'll need for the trip anyway-you will be fine. When they say hold your breath, do it.

It takes all of a second per staple to remove them and compared to what we've been through it isn't bad at all. Take care to do as your Dr says as far as incision care, it is very important to pamper that area and the rest of you too! I am placing Johnson & Johnson Nu-Gauze pads over my incision to ease the friction of belly and clothes-works well.

Hugs to ya!
Unread 07-24-2001, 04:31 PM

Chiming in- since I've had 2 c-sections, one pretty recent (last year). It doesn't hurt especially if you have a gentle nurse. With my first I don't remember them hurting at all when taken out- last year I had a very UNgentle nurse in the hospital (I was there for a week after delivery) and it STILL only stung for a second- like if someone was pricking you with a pin- very quickly... not really pain. I think mine hurt more because she wouldn't stop for a second when I asked her too- I'm sure you won't have that problem.

Don't worry about it. It will be less pain than you think, I'm betting on it.
Unread 07-24-2001, 05:06 PM

Can you please tell me how many days post-op you were before your staples were removed?
Unread 07-24-2001, 05:16 PM

I had mine removed 6 days post op and it didn't hurt at all. I didn't bother with any pain meds before or after and the most I felt was one or two tiny "pin pricks" while the nurse was taking them out. Everyone has told me that staples are less painful than stitches when taken out. Since I've had neither I didn't know what to expect and but it really didn't hurt at all.
Unread 07-24-2001, 05:26 PM
staples

Hi Michelle,

I had my staples removed 5 days post-op and didn't feel a thing. I was as nervous as you prior to having the removed, even had my DH hold my hand. I have a wonderful doctor and didn't even feel him removing the staples.

Hope all goes well

Marie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register