HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Tortuous Twisted Bowel Tortuous Twisted Bowel

Unread 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

Hi Ladies,

It has been a long time since I have needed your help; however, I do and I was hoping someone could answer my questions.

Anyone ever hear of a Tortuous Twisted Bowel?
If so, what is it and how is it treated?
Unread 03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

Hi (((Carrie))) Long time no see! Tortuous just means twisted. A twisted bowel can become impacted, and that is risky. Sometimes it's treated by watchful waiting and sometimes DRs want to be more proactive.

Often the twisted bowel is caused by adhesions from prior surgery, like a hysterectomy. In that case, surgery could be performed to take down the adhesions; the problem is that surgery for adhesions sometimes results in more adhesions.

If nothing is done, in the event that there is an impaction or obstruction, it is usually necessary to be hospitalized for treatment. Sometimes the treatment just involves lots of fluids and watching to see if the obstruction resolves; sometimes an enema can help; or it could be necessary to do a colectomy (removal of a portion of the bowel).

Have you been diagnosed with a twisted bowel?

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

Thanks for the info. Yes, I just had a colonoscopy the other day and when I was done the nurse said it was a Twisted Tortuous Bowel due to scar tissue. I have an appt with the GI Doctor in 2 weeks to see what he tells me. I have just never heard of it. When I had the colonoscopy, I woke up during it with pain. I am thinking that the Dr. found the twisted bowel and was trying to move it but due to scar tissue, it would not budge.

Thank you so much for the info. I tried to look it up on the Internet, but I could not find anything.

How are you doing? Are you better?
Unread 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

Hi Carrie I am doing pretty well; of course, life is very different now from before all the surgeries.

I had, in addition to diverticulitis, a redundant colon before my colectomy. A redundant colon means I had an extra 'loop' of colon, a 360 degree twist, which meant that when the GI DR tried to do a colonoscopy the scope wouldn't pass - that's how it was diagnosed. The extra loop was removed during the colectomy, but the DR assumes it had contributed to a lifetime of constipation before that due to the extra pressure required to make "stuff" pass through that loop.

Let us know how the appointment goes, OK?

s,
-Linda
Unread 03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

Glad to hear that you are doing well now. You have been through a lot. I have adhesions, can feel them, it makes eating difficult, but you have been through so much more. All I can do is thank you for the info, based on your experience, as it is hard to find info otherwise.

I will keep you posted as to what the Dr. says on my appt; I honestly think I know what is next though.

Thanks again.
Unread 03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

monty i am wondering what were your symptoms and reason for having a colonoscopy. i am also waiting for an appointment to have it done and my main problem is chronic constipation since after surgery.
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

I have had the same problems since my TAHBSO, constipation, pain, weight gain, pulling, bloating etc. I had severe Endometriosis with adhesions. I have since had my gallbladder removed, I had 4 inches of my bowel attached to my abdomen and that was removed along with my appendix. Although I was feeling much better I was still adapting to adhesion /twisted bowel by not eating too much, not much excercise that was until last year. Last year I had to have sinus surgery, bone spurs, polyups, scar tissue, broken nose in two places etc. Well once I woke up I started to breath through my nose and I had this great burst of energy and have ever since. Once I could breath, I was more active, could eat, exercise, and all that did was bring surface the twisted bowel and the pain, weight gain etc. I went to see the surgeon to remove move adhesions and together we decided that all tests showed be done first in case adhesions could not be found and there was more to it. I only had the colonoscopy to rule everything out and that was the test that found the twisted colon. I had the small bowel follow through, a Cat Scan, and the colonoscopy this week and I am glad I did.
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

Monti,

I don't have twisted bowel (as far as I know), but I was hospitalized a few weeks ago for a bowel obstruction most likely caused by adhesions from my hyst almost 15 years ago. Luckily, I didn't need more surgery - the GI tube did its job and cleared the obstruction. I haven't had a colonoscopy yet, but I probably will this summer just to make sure everything is OK. I hope I never have pain like I had with the obstruction again. I'm glad you're doing better. Keep us posted on your progress!

Denise
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Tortuous Twisted Bowel

I was hospitalized twice this last year due to obstructions. Boy, did it make me feel awful.I also had the GI tubes, which did help. I had a colonoscopy, which showed a very redundant colon. I had a transit test and other test a few weeks after my last hospitalization for the obstruction. The terrible constipation the last several years has caused me alot of pelvic floor problems. I had 54 inches of my large colon removed in Jan. I am still having some abdominal distress, but at lease I am now able to have a bm.
I had a barium series done of my small intestines this last Sat. I am waiting for the results. My surgeon was thinking I may have a partial small bowel abstruction due to adhesions.

Peggy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.