HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Painful Breast Cyst Painful Breast Cyst

Unread 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Painful Breast Cyst

I have been having terrible left breast pain for about 1 month...I finally went to my family Dr. who immediately sent me to have a mammogram and ultrasound done the same day(yesterday). Today, his nurse called and said that the Dr. was trying to call me and left me a message stating that the tests showed that I have a cyst in my left breast and that the radiologist is recommending a repeat of both tests in 6 months to see if it grows.
I don't understand??? Are cysts in breast common? Should I be worried? How long should I expect to have pain?
Has anyone experienced this before?
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Painful Breast Cyst

Hi In a word, yes, cysts in the breasts are common, especially in postmenopausal women or others who are estrogen dominant. Normally nothing is done for them, as they tend to come and go over time; that's why they would suggest just repeating the tests in six months.

You might ask your DR about using some progesterone to help minimize the discomfort; it can reduce the incidence of these cysts. You can read more about this in Dr. Lee's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer" (which is not just about cancer ).

I hope the pain subsides very soon - it shouldn't be too long.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Painful Breast Cyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe
Hi In a word, yes, cysts in the breasts are common, especially in postmenopausal women or others who are estrogen dominant. Normally nothing is done for them, as they tend to come and go over time; that's why they would suggest just repeating the tests in six months.

You might ask your DR about using some progesterone to help minimize the discomfort; it can reduce the incidence of these cysts. You can read more about this in Dr. Lee's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer" (which is not just about cancer ).

I hope the pain subsides very soon - it shouldn't be too long.

s,
-Linda
Surferbabe----

Hoping you might be able to give me some advice too. I have dr. lees books on hysts, but not breast cancer. I will get it soon. In the meantime, if you can offer advice I would appreciate it.

You mentioned that progesterone can minimize the discomfort. I am concerned, because I am on prometrium 100mg, have been for almost 8 weeks and just started having sharp shooting pain in one noticeably larger breast. Do you think it could be from the prometrium even though it is just in one breast?

My last exam was about three weeks ago, and last mammo was in oct. No problems, other than at first a suspicious spot that was a low lying node.

I am undiagnosed as of yet, with a small complex ovarian cyst, enlarged uterus, and thickend endometrium returning for ultrasound in three weeks .

The pain waxes and wains a little but is pretty much constant, but doesn't sound as bad as the thread originator's. Do you have any ideas? I am also on spironolactin for fluid retention.
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Painful Breast Cyst

No, I don't think it's the progesterone that's causing the breast pain. I think it's estrogen dominance. The spironolactone works by reducing the level of androgens (testosterone), which means that proportionally, you are swinging your balance towards estrogen dominance, which encourages breast cyst formation.

If you are only taking the spironolactone for water retention, I would look into something with less hormonal implications (Lasix, for example?) and see if restoring your balance fixes the breast pain. And, of course, it goes without saying that you need to talk with your DR about this and see if they want to do a mammogram just to be safe.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Painful Breast Cyst

I had spoke w/ the dr.s office yesterday. They of course want to do an exam but can't get me in for a couple weeks. I have an appointment coming up, so I will have him look at it then. I am on a very low 25mg of spironolactin at dr.s suggestion to help w / the prometrium and pms symptoms. Dr.'s office suggested watching caffeine which I have been guzzling to counteract my tiredness right now. I also had one of those energy drinks yesterday and wonder if that did not add to the pain. This mornining they (both) are a tad sore but no shooting pains.....yea.....

Anyway, thanks for your advice. I really hope I am not estrogen dominant right now. My other problems don't need that. I will discuss the sprionolactin at my visit.

beachloversis

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.