HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

laparoscopic oophorectomy recovery laparoscopic oophorectomy recovery

Unread 03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
laparoscopic oophorectomy recovery

I had a tah in November and was recovering fine for a while. I started getting achy and crampy and then bloated and just felt bad. The doc found fluid in my abdomen in an ultrasound and recommended a lap to see what was wrong. By the time surgery rolled around I could barely eat, breathe, or function. She found hemorrhagic cysts on my ovaries which had flopped over and got stuck to my cuff incision. I also had adhesions everywhere. She took out the ovaries and tubes, cleaned me out, cauterized my incision, cleaned out the adhesions. I had three lap incisions. At first the worst pain was the pulled muscle feeling I had at and below my belly button incision and to the left, and I only hurt on the left. Now I hurt everywhere, BAD! Sometimes it's just achy and sometimes it's a linger stabbing pain or shooting pain- but it really hurts a lot more than I was expecting it to- and for longer. I don't want to take my pain pills because they make me so out of it- but I don't want to always hurt either. My doctor wasn't suprised two days ago that I still felt bad- but she's so vague when I ask about my recovery. What is the experience of girls out there with similar procedures? My lap for endometrial ablation wasn't close to this bad. How long until I feel kind of normal? I don't think I thought it would be as big of a deal as it feels like it is- I knew the tah would take a long time to recover from- but I just don't know what to expect.
Unread 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM

I didn't know there was a whole thing about ovaries! I can probably find my answers while reading yall's stuff. They just moved me here!
Unread 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM

So I take it you sound as surprized and confused as I've been. My doc was so wrong when it came to recovery time. Would you believe he told me 1 to 2 weeks? I guess it all depends on how much repair has been done on top of the BSO. This has been very difficult. It knocked me for a loop! I'm about 11 weeks post-op. The improvements were slow, but week after week got better.
I would have apretiated being warned so I could have been better prepared, and I hate to complain because the lab results could have been worse. But if you had repair work done and the BSO you'll be better off realizing you need plenty of R&R for a while more.
I really hope you get back on your feet sooner than I. But this is a tough one isn't it?
Unread 03-27-2008, 03:14 PM

11 weeks and you still don't feel right? crap! That's as bad as the hysterectomy time- I hope it's not that long. But I can certainly see how that could be. I feel a little better in general today but dizzy. I'm supposed to go back to work next week, but I just don't see how I'll be able to- I'm a special ed teacher so my job is so stressful and hands-on every second. My kids can't just sit and quietly do work by themselves. I wish I had more support and understanding from the people around me- mostly my husband- my moms all helped out right after surgery- but they all live far away and can't help me day to day. I try to be appreciative of my blessings- I really do- but sometimes I can't help but be bummed out by how crazy my life is right now!
Unread 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm fine now- I was just saying everybody is different, and it may depend on how much repair work you had. It took me 6 weeks before my full strength was back and things were consistant (energy, mood etc.). I've had sleep and hormonal issues I wasn't prepared for. Thank goodness no other infections. My patience went out the window ( along with my help) by week 3.

Most the research I've read says 3 to 6 weeks. It feels like forever. And its all you can do to take care of yourself... let alone a home and family. But this is surgery. And this is the hard part. It takes time to heal but you will get there. You will. : )
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:56 PM

Okay, 3 to 6 weeks sounds better. I can live with that. What exactly do you mean by repair work? Removing adhesions, etc? I know that the doctor was in there an hour and a half longer than she thought she'd be- mostly removing the adhesions carefully. I feel better today after resting all day. I do see the light at the end of the tunnel!
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:31 AM

Hey ladies...I had an ablation in 06 and then a TAH. I was out 4 solid weeks and then went back to work part time for 2 weeks. Obviously there was still healing after that, but my laparoscopic cystectomy and left ovary/tube removal last month was much better. It was a little more than I expected, but I was only out of work for one week and then part time one week. Spiceflower...TAKE your pain meds. Your body is going to have a hard time healing and it may take longer if you are in pain all the time. I did learn that quickly; pain meds are not a bad thing when used correctly. I had a grapefruit sized hemmorhagic cyst and lots of adhesions on my colon so it wasn't a simple laparoscopic surgery. In fact, they almost opened me up, but didn't have to. Surgery took 2 hours instead of 45 minutes. Be good to yourself and take the pain meds. Remember...you're a princess again so pamper yourself!
Unread 03-28-2008, 12:24 PM

I've had 3 laps and now a total hyster. Some of my laps I healed better than others. I think it may depend on the skill of the surgeon. They have to move parts around to operate. I've had adhesions removed too they are not fun-very painful. I agree with the other posts you need to take your pain meds so your body can heal. I wouldn't rush going back to work. You want to heal correctly. But it is easy for me to make that comment it isn't my life. Do try to rest. I've noticed I'm healing better from my hyster than I did from any of my laps. HUMMMM maybe because I know I won't hurt anymore and I'll have my life back again. (I have endometriosis it is very painful.) I hope you feel better!
Shelly
Unread 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM

I don't like that foggy drunk feeling I get when I take the pain meds- I'd do it if my kids weren't home- but there's too much commotion all the time to think and function as it is. I can sleep late and I can pretty much just sit around and read and rest until someone gets hurt or someone breaks something! My kids are older but it's still crazy- like right now I have 3 13 year olds here and my 9 year old. They're good- but any moment someone could come inside with some kind of injury! I should've set it up better with my kids- and my husband is so nonchalant about things that it makes it hard. Anyway, I'm doing a little better, still having some pain, still don't have much stamina or energy, still feel kind of dizzy and weak, can't bend over much. I just swept two rooms and that wore me out and made me sweat profusely, and hurt.
I'm supposed to go to work next Monday- it'll be two weeks but I really don't think I'll make it. If I had a desk job or something less stressful I could probably make it- but even then I think it'd be pushing it. I teach special ed and when my kids are in the room they take all my attention and energy- and it's very stressful and busy. It's a hard job when I feel good and healthy. I will think about taking the pain meds when my husband is home or at night when I can go to sleep.
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:36 PM

spiceflower- I am in the same boat as you. I had a laproscopic oopharectomy and adhesions removed on 3/11. My ovary was stuck to my bowel and bladder. I am miserable! My belly hurts so bad by the one incsion I want to cry. I thought by now I would be feeling better.
I completely understand about the special needs children as my youngestest is in early childhood special ed. He has Autism. My boys have been on spring break all week and my husband had to go back to work on Tuesday. So, I'm home with an 8, 6 & 4 year old boys (4 year old has Autism). They just give me no peace! I love them to pieces, but all I want to do is lay in the bed and watch tv, but they want to go out and play. So, out we go. I am sure paying for it now and on top of everything else, I am starting to get a low grade fever and of course it's the weekend. I am going to call my PCM tomorrow morning and hope they can see me.
Anyways, speedy recovery spiceflower! Please let me know how your recovery goes. I'm hoping I wake up tomorrow and all the pain will be gone

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.