HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

1 year after my partial hysterectomy -dryness and loss of sex drive 1 year after my partial hysterectomy -dryness and loss of sex drive

Unread 04-04-2008, 08:35 PM
1 year after my partial hysterectomy -dryness and loss of sex drive

Hello -
After I had my operation 1 yr. ago , I came on here and before for information and the like..... but 1 year later, I have vaginal dryness , like I never had before and lack of a sex drive, which I never had before. I am very disappointed in the Dr. what can I do ? I am married , I know I will never be the same Thanks for any help!
Blondie64
Unread 04-05-2008, 06:24 AM

I'm so sorry you're going through this right now.

From your survey results, it looks like you had a total vaginal hysterectomy, but retained your ovaries. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy and retained my ovaries, and like you, I hoped that retaining my ovaries would mean my sex life would return pretty much back to normal, or even be better. Unfortunately, this was not the case for me, either.

Even though you retained your ovaries, it is possible that they are functioning either at a reduced capacity or that they have failed. I would urge you to ask your doctor to check your hormone levels. It certainly can't help to check, right?

Even if your ovaries are functioning, it's possible that you're going into menopause, which would mean the hormone levels would be dropping.

My ovaries are still working (in fact, I can still feel myself cycle every month) but my sex drive is still less than it was before and I deal with vaginal dryness at times, too. There are lots of great products out there to help with the vaginal dryness -- in fact, the Hyster Sisters store sells one.

You don't have to suffer in silence, and you're not alone. Please go see your doctor and get some help.
Unread 04-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Blondie64,

I had my hyster at the end of January and I am also having dryness (like the desert) and lack of sex drive (forgot how because it's been so long). I am not on HRT and both of my ovaries were removed. I noticed the decreased sex drive before my surgery (not the dryness though) and realized that I was probably peri-menopausal and just starting to experience symptoms of menopause. I noticed that your name is blondie64. Are you 44 years old like me? I was born in '64 (blonde too!). Just wondering if you could be in the same boat as me? Did you get to keep your ovaries? I am entertaining thoughts of starting a very low dose of estrogen cream just to see if this may help with both of these issues. Have you had a chat with your dr. to maybe consider it?
Unread 04-07-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff4me
Blondie64,

I had my hyster at the end of January and I am also having dryness (like the desert) and lack of sex drive (forgot how because it's been so long). I am not on HRT and both of my ovaries were removed. I noticed the decreased sex drive before my surgery (not the dryness though) and realized that I was probably peri-menopausal and just starting to experience symptoms of menopause. I noticed that your name is blondie64. Are you 44 years old like me? I was born in '64 (blonde too!). Just wondering if you could be in the same boat as me? Did you get to keep your ovaries? I am entertaining thoughts of starting a very low dose of estrogen cream just to see if this may help with both of these issues. Have you had a chat with your dr. to maybe consider it?
Hi Laura , yes I turned 44 in March, I HAD a partial hyst. as I STIll have my ovaries. I REally thought my sex life would be better cause I also had a posterior colporrhaphy so I THought I would be tighter. My hubby had no complaints, but sometimes it can be uncomfortable , at first it was VERY uncomfortable, but now its just I dont get wet like I used to and the lack of sex drive
i figured it wasnt tahta bad , so I didnt talk to a dr about it... figured it was normal I guess, it just stinks !!!!
ttyl
Blondie64
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:06 AM

I am sorry you are going thru this as I know from experience this is not fun.
I had profound vaginal dryness and vagifem helped. By profound I mean that when you walk or sit you feel like sandpaper is in your undies.

Vagifem is a tablet inserted with a very thin plastic (tampon type) applicator (tiny, tiny). With the tablets, no mess. My doctor had me use it very frequently at first and then twice a week and then as needed. I use it here and there when I start to have dryness issues (with my doctor's blessing). Prevention of dryness is crucial. It takes a while sometimes to get back on track.

Talk to your doctor about which options are available for you.

Unread 04-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle35
I am sorry you are going thru this as I know from experience this is not fun.
I had profound vaginal dryness and vagifem helped. By profound I mean that when you walk or sit you feel like sandpaper is in your undies.

Vagifem is a tablet inserted with a very thin plastic (tampon type) applicator (tiny, tiny). With the tablets, no mess. My doctor had me use it very frequently at first and then twice a week and then as needed. I use it here and there when I start to have dryness issues (with my doctor's blessing). Prevention of dryness is crucial. It takes a while sometimes to get back on track.

Talk to your doctor about which options are available for you.

ok, i will ty , I thought there was no hope 4 me
Unread 04-08-2008, 07:37 AM

it sounds like your ovaries are not working at 100% and you might benefit from some hrt. talk to your dr about it..there are a lot of things he can do to help you.
Unread 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue
it sounds like your ovaries are not working at 100% and you might benefit from some hrt. talk to your dr about it..there are a lot of things he can do to help you.
Even if I still have my ovaries??

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.