HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Coffee okay before surgery? Coffee okay before surgery?

Unread 04-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Coffee okay before surgery?

Hi! I am going in for a TAH/BSO tomorrow at noon. My doctor said that I could have clear liquids and coffee up to four hours before surgery. Should I drink a cup of coffee or will I suffer later maybe from nausea due to the anaesthesia?
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:21 AM

Hi,
First, I hope everything goes good for you tomorrow.
I couldn't have anything after midnight before my surgery but I did have a few sips of coffee in morn. If you could limit to no more than one cup it would probably be best.
Again, good luck
Bett-Jo
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM

wow your lucky i cant have any solids for 2 days my surgery being tomorrow dr told me nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before it may make you sick id check with your dr again. im having slh
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:26 AM

No coffee for me too - I had a huge caffine headache before my surgery. Thank god they put me out of my misery with the happy cocktail.
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Coffee before surgery

Thanks for the QUICK responses! Guess I will forgo the caffeine tomorrow morning. Seems like I am going to be SO thirsty by the time of surgery.
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:58 AM

once they start the iv the thrist will go away they will give you fluids , ill be suffering with ya i have to be there at 930 but surgery isnt till 1130 so ill be thristy too !!
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:06 AM

Good luck Karen! I am also Karon (different spelling). I hear the waiting is the worst part. I sure hope so!

I am so ready to get it over with. Since November I have been in the ER twice due to exquisite pain either from ovarian cysts or fibroids. I have had enough!

Hope you sail through smoothly tomorrow!
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Take it from me. You don't want anything on your stomach! Nothing! I spent the entire operating time violently ill. I am so grateful my stomach was empty because you can potentially aspirate if you have something on your stomach.

Since you don't know how you will respond to the anesthesia I would hihgly recommend waiting.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:19 AM

good luck to you too see you on the other side ill be thinking of all of you. karon i hope all goes well stay in touch !
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:04 PM

Hi there, my DR told me I could have coffee the morning of surgery. They said no more than one cup no sugar or cream added. I was perfectly fine having it and happy, simply because they asked for another urine sample on surgery day. My surgery was at 1 pm. Don't know if yours is in the morning or afternoon, that may make a difference too. But always check with your Nurse or DR. Have a great surgery and speedy recovery, and everybody is right waiting is the worst of all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.