HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hormone pellets Hormone pellets

Unread 04-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Sotto pelle user

Hi - I get the Sotto pellets. I live in DE and I had a total hysterectomy July 2006 at 40yo. I had endo & fibroids; had several procedures before the hyster. Anyway, I get the pellets and have to say that I can definitely feel a difference. I don't have nightsweats; my mind feels a little clearer, like I can think better; I feel like I am in a consistent good mood, and sleep is pretty good. However, I still wake up around 4am every morning while rolling over!?! But, I do love those pellets. Expensive-yes, especially since my insurance company won't pay for it. Worth it-I think so. The actual procedure isn't too bad.
I was curious if anyone taking them has had any other issues? Like I feel like my deodorant isn't working as good anymore.
Unread 04-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Hormone pellets

Babs1965 -- Had testosterone pellets inserted late Feb, TAH/BSO March 26, then started estrogen/progesterone compounded cream. My endo. doc was amazed at my progress 9 days after surgery and was convinced that the testosterone had really helped me regain strength and begin healing faster. I agree, but I give my surgeon a lot of the credit also. One of the things I noticed before I began the estrogen, and when showering was still difficult and not real frequent right after surgery, was the deodorant failure you mentioned. I guess the testosterone made my armpits smell stronger. I keep thinking of that old Irish Spring commercial -- "made for a man, but I like it too". Things are better since the estrogen has balanced out the testo., and I can shower more often. And I switched to Right Guard -- just kidding!
Unread 04-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Hormone pellets

It has now been a little over a month since I had the pellets inserted. I went to the dr yesterday to go over the last blood work results. My testostrone is up to where it needs to be but the estrogen and FSH is still low. But the good news is that I am now sleeping. No night sweats, no hot flashes, no vaginal dryness and the libdo is slowly returning. I could tell before the blood work results that the estrogen was still low. I do feel better but not the best that I could feel if that makes since. I suspect that when I go in June to get the 2nd insertion that it will make a world of difference. I have to say that for me the pellets have been a life saver.
Susan
Unread 04-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Hormone pellets

I'd be interested in knowing how many pellets you received and if this is your first insertion. I've had two inserts and he gave me 3 estrogens this time vs. the 2 estrogens the first time, but kept the testosterone at 75mg both times.
Unread 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Hormone pellets

I have had pellets for 6 months now (50 mg Est and 37.5 Test) and I love them. I have had no negative effects at all and feel better than I have even in the years before hyst. My ovaries failed in my early 40's and I am 53 now. Hyst was a year ago Sept. I think my body was hormone starved for quite awhile. I have had to get 3 inserts so far as I am blowing through the estrogen but I will gladly pay the money for the improvement in my life!
Unread 04-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Hormone pellets

I have been using pellet since last year and I am on my fourth insert. I am feeling great. For those who have been on pellets for a while, you should ask your doctor to try submitting to your insurance company. My insurance company just started covering pellets in January and my last insert cost me $16.50! I was paying $220.00 per insert.

I have a pretty common insurance company...it may be worth a try!

Susan
Unread 04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Hormone pellets

This past injection I only needed the testosterone pellet. My FSH & estrogen levels were still fine. I usually get 2 pellets. I've written a letter to my insurance company -twice -they pay for the labs, though. The pellets are lasting approx. months. When my levels drop, I can tell!!
I've had many suggestions as far as the deodorant deal. I am now trying the Secret Platinum and it's worked so far. As soon as the temperature goes up outside, then we'll see!
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Hormone pellets

I've been on compounded tri-est and progesterone for years (orally). I've never heard of pellets. Are they relatively new? And where are they inserted and how often? Thanks for any info.
Unread 04-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Pellets

They are called Sotto Pelle. The doc injects them into your upper buttock area. You first get your labs check to see where your estrogen & testosterone. I usually get 1 pellet of each inserted. They can last anywhere from 4-6 mnths. Mine last about 4 months. They have helped me sleep better, have better moods, mental clarity, greatly reduced night sweats and hot flashes and increased libido. My insurance company will not pay for them. My doc charges $40 per pellet and then the office visit. I am so happy with them, I'd pay anything. Then you get more blood work one month after injection and then 3-4 months after injection, to check your levels. I usually can tell within days when my levels start to go out of whack.
Unread 04-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Hormone pellets

Mine lasted a full 6 months and after the initial high levels of estrogen, they were fine, but now I can't afford them, but my insurance said that if my doctor would write a letter saying I needed them, it would be considered, but my deductible has not been met yet, and I am broke from all of my hospital bills from a pelvic problem. I am back on the patch and testosterone compound, and I can tell a difference in my libido. I haven't had libido like some women
some women talk about with the pellets, but I could count on it being pretty strong at least every 2 weeks, and things went well.
Now I am not having hardly any desire, and when we do have sex, it doesn't complete.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway