HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Recovery time after ovary removal Recovery time after ovary removal

Unread 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Recovery time after ovary removal

Hi JT

I was reading your email and saw that you had one of your ovaries and tube taken out. Could you tell me what the recovery time was for that and did you have any problems with your hormones since you only have one ovary left. I have to go to the doctors on Thursday (5/1/08) and see if my cysts have shrunk which I don't think they did and then I need to decicde what to do next. I was thinking of having my right ovary and tube out. Just wondering what your experience was.

Thanks.

ST65
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Hi ST65, I did have my right ovary/tube taken out at TAH on 5/7/07 & kept my left ovary/tube. I got a cyst in my left tube around 6 mos. post op (11/07) and saw the dr. in 02/08. She removed my left tube on 2/27 & I kept my ovary. I am almost 9 weeks post-op and now I have a cyst on that ovary ...ARGH! It hurts like HECK! My hormones other than developing the cysts have been great. I think almost better than before. I do not want my last ovary removed so I am trying BC pills and taking lots of pain pills. The healing time was about the same as the TAH but the pain was alot less. Same abdominal cut. I was up and around a lot faster with just the cyst removed. When I had my first ovary taken out though, I did have some meno. symptoms for about 3 weeks until my left ovary figured out that it was running a solo mission LOL Then it kicked in great. Good luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions!
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks JT. I can not believe that you have another cyst that really stinks. This whole thing really sucks. I had a tummy tuck with my TAH and I really don't want my doctor to open me up again and mess up the work that the plastic surgeon did it cost me too much money. I will know more when I go on Thursday. He put me on birth control to for a month and I had good and bad days. But since I have stopped taking them I have much more pain than I did before. Do you get that bloated feeling? I hate that more than the pain. I have thought about having both of my ovaries out but I don't want to go through menopause like that. I hope that the pills work you. Thanks again for all of your help.
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:10 PM

Yes, I feel bloated and IRRITABLE. The pain is bad and my tolerance for it is about done. I have been having daily pain since Dec. I had surgery in Feb to remove one cyst and that lasted 4 1/2 weeks....bummed. I don't want to go into instant meno. I know that we will all have to do it some day but naturally your body eases into it, not an abrupted stopping. I don't want to do HRTs because at 40 I have already had 4 core biopsies and 2 breast tumors. Let us know how your appt goes on Thursday. I really hope that they don't have to do any surgery because yes, that would stink to have the tummy tuck messed with!
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:19 PM

It is nice to have people to talk with about this because after a while you start to wonder if you are just imaging how bad you feel. I have been very irritable to especially with my kids. How many surgeries have you had? I have a feeling that when I go on Thursday I will have to do something because I am not staying like this. I can feel your pain. I am going to be 43 on Thursday and I don't want to deal with menopause until I have to. Thanks again for talking with me about this it really has helped.

ST65
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM

The only hormonal sign I had after having my right ovary and uterus removed was some hairloss, but it leveled out in a couple months. I didnt go bald or anything, but was loosing alot quick. I was back to work in 10 days, but Im a secretary and dont have to move much. This past April 1st I had my left ovary removed do to reoccurring cysts and adhesions encasing a majority of my intestine. I was back to work on the 14th for 3 hours, next day for 5 hours, third day 7 hours. But on the 17th I found out I pulled some internal stiches and was put back on bed rest for 4 days but Im back to work full time as of last Monday and feeling pretty good, other than the night sweats have kicked in and my husband says Im ****** , I say Im not, Im just speaking my mind a bit more. so basically, listen to your body. Good luck
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks. I will see what my doctor says and I guess go from there. Part of me just wants to have them both removed and done with so I don't have to deal with it anymore but I am afraid of the whole menopause thing. Although I do get night sweats now so I very well may be starting menopause. How long were in the hospital for? I just can't stand to think about having another surgery.
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Eww, forgot about the hairloss! I am finally getting 3 inch wisps of hair sticking out. I was in the hospital for 3 nights each time. I have had too many surgeries... 3 throat dilations for GERD, 2 c-sections, TAH, abdominal cyst removal, 2 breast lumpectomies, LEEP and a total of 4 core breast biopsies. Mandykat, good to see you up and about. Work bites but glad you are healthy enough to do that!
Unread 04-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the information. After hearing your stories I am thinking that for right now I may just have the cysts removed and leave it at that. I am sure that I will get them back and I guess I will have to deal with it than. Wow you have had your share of hospital stay I give you a lot of credit you have been through alot. Thanks again all of your information has really helped me.
Unread 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Most of it has been easy except for the TAH. The cyst removal wasn't terrible. Other than the c-sections, they are all outpatient procedures which is fine with me! I told my dr. that I would give my ovary one shot at removing a cyst and keeping it. It is now officially pushing it's luck LOL

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.