HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

SEVERE low abdominal cramping pain SEVERE low abdominal cramping pain

Unread 04-29-2008, 05:14 PM
SEVERE low abdominal cramping pain

Hello
I had a TAH on the 11 April, due to an enlarged uterus. I had made a great recovery just pottering around the house, light jobs, then resting.

On Saturday 26th I went into town with DH, an hours shopping, stopping off for coffee, came home and rested. I am still taking regular pain relief and anti inflamatories (Voltaren/tramadol/buscapam).

On the afternoon of Sunday 27th I had the most horrific gripping cramping pains in my lower abdomen, the pains became so severe I had to get my daughter to call my DH to come home from work, I felt sick with the level of pain (worse than labour) as it was all centred around my bladder and where my uterus would have been. In the end we called an emergency ambulance, as I could not move and the pain was so severe. Thank god for IV morphine !!

The hospital suspected a haematoma/collection, but this did not show up on a ultra sound scan, no urinary infection either. They started me on IV antibiotics and I had 2 days of bedrest. I had some cramping pain that night controlled with IV anagesia and then a residual soreness.

I'm home now and resting big style !!

Anyone got any explaination? I'm scared that it may re-occur.
Sammy
Unread 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM

O honey you have had a rough cpl of days...you need to call your doc...something is just not right...you shouldnt hurt like that...

Good Luck...
Unread 04-29-2008, 06:36 PM

I'm so sad to hear you are having a rough time. Do keep in touch with your doctor. Perhaps you just over did it with the trip into town....The TAH makes not only the innards hurt but the outer incision area is very, very tender as well. Keep us posted on how you are feeling and what your doctor tells you!
Unread 04-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Sorry to hear that happened,since you did get better with treatment maybe an infection was starting & the antibiotics kicked it.See what the doc says when you follow up,scary as it was if infection was the cause & it was treated you wouldnt have to worry about it happening again.I was in the er after my daughter was 6wks old I went swimming in a pool & got a pelvic infection,very painful so I suppose an infection from surgury would be severely painful
Unread 04-29-2008, 09:41 PM

Did they do a CT scan?? Ultrsound is not the best test for the fluid collection. Just curious - if they did not and the pain continues, I would ask for a CT with contrast.

Good luck and I hope this is the end of it for you and you feel better from now on!!

Starbgirl
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Hope this is not TMI, but I have just had a BM and afterward had the same pain. All I could do was crouch over, the pain lasted about 5 minutes and was the same severe cramping pain. However it has now settled. At times like this I just really don't know, whether to phone GP or just present at ED.
I'm just resting now, afraid it's going to come again.
Will look up about bowel spasm.
Unread 04-29-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbgirl
Did they do a CT scan?? Ultrsound is not the best test for the fluid collection. Just curious - if they did not and the pain continues, I would ask for a CT with contrast.

Good luck and I hope this is the end of it for you and you feel better from now on!!

Starbgirl
Just ultrasound not CT.
Think it may be linked to my bowels.
Sammy
Unread 04-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Sammy - Like I said if the pain like this continues, I would ask my Dr about the CT scan. I know things hurt - trust me I had my fair share but doubled over pain at this point seems extreme to me. I did and so did alot of other ladies have that bowel pain. I would say I am fine until I have to give birth to my BM, then a while later I am fine again. Really I had to do the lamaze breathing with BM's just to get through - LOL. Maybe it's just that.

I feel for you and hope your feeling better soon.

Starbgirl

BTW - I did have fluid and it showed up on my CT.
Unread 05-01-2008, 04:03 AM

Just to keep you up to date.
I have had a couple more episodes of severe spasm pains, none as bad as last Sunday, with the worst one today lasting up to 20 minutes. I feel it is deep in my bowel. I just continue to take the pain mediations I was prescribed and anti spasmotic - buscapam. All I can do when this happens is try to rest/deep breathing and trying to calm myself. I'm hoping it's just my bowel recovering from being handled during the surgery.
Thanks
Unread 05-01-2008, 04:29 AM

You might want to call your doctor and let him/her know what's going on. Does your doctor know you went to the ER? S/he may want to see you and perhaps order more tests. Even if it is your bowels, I don't think you should be in that much pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.