HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long do gas pains last? How long do gas pains last?

Unread 04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
How long do gas pains last?

I am post-op 6 days--oupatient LATV BSO and feeling not too bad, but the gas pains in my back, shoulders, chest, stomach, etc are still really bad, especially when I stand up. Sitting up in a recliner is painful after 10 minutes, my back feels uncomfortable with pressure. I am ok with BMs.

I try to walk around once an hour but after 5 minutes I am so ready to explode that I have to go lie down, I feel like an overinflated balloon.

How long will I feel these pains? It makes being more active very uncomfy!
Unread 04-30-2008, 02:13 PM

I think it varies!

When I had my tubal 2 years ago, I suffered with the gas pains for over a week.

With my hysterectomy last week, they only lasted 2 days.

I'm not sure what I did differently between the two (I did take Gas-X this time around).

Good luck! Those gas pains can be a booger!
Unread 04-30-2008, 02:50 PM

When I had my Diagnostic Laproscopy the gas pain was the worst lasted 4 days worst pain in my shoulder could hardly sit up but with my hysterectomy it only lasted 2 maybe 3 days and was worst when my bladder was full and I did not have shoulder pain this time guess I am in better shape then i was before the Laproscopy I found that rocking back and forth helped me move the gas around and out either side to side or back and forth slow motions though don't want to hurt te incisions.
Unread 04-30-2008, 03:05 PM

Hi Elizadoo

Those gas pains can be so nasty! Ellie mentioned Gas-X. It really does work if you haven't tried it yet. Try to avoid soda, and foods that cause excess gas such as acidic things, broccoli, beans, salad, etc. There's no set time period for when the gas pains will dissipate. Everyone's experience is a little bit different. The good news is it won't last forever.

I know it's frustrating but you're less than a week into your recovery. It's a slow process, and can get pretty old quite quickly. If you can prop yourself on your left side with pillows behind you when you're laying down that may help to get the gas to travel.

Remember to take this time to rest and let others take care of you. Follow doctor's orders and pamper the princess!

Hang in there. It WILL get better.
S
Unread 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM

My gas pains after my abdominal surgery lasted more than 3 weeks. I got desperate and googled for relief and I found many websites that listed peppermint tea. It really seemed to help me.

Good Luck!!

Starbgirl
Unread 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot I took peppermint and ginger (vitamin pill form) to help settle my stomach and get digestion back on track. That helped too.
Unread 05-01-2008, 12:48 AM

Hi, I know exactly what you're feeling.I am 2 weeks out now TAH/BSO and the gas pains are not nearly so frequent now,but when I do get them they have to peel me off the ceiling!! Moving around even a little shifts it but I found as mentioned Peppermint tea to be the best.In hospital they made a "windy cocktail" of Peppermint cordial,warm water 2 paracetamol and some antacid, not brilliant to drink but it really helped.
Unread 05-01-2008, 04:51 AM

If you've had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, GAS-X may not help with the pain. The carbon dioxide used to inflate the abdomen doesn't get into the bowel or stomach, so the Gas-X won't help the pain in your shoulders or back. I'm not sure how long the discomfort lasts but I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-01-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine
If you've had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, GAS-X may not help with the pain. The carbon dioxide used to inflate the abdomen doesn't get into the bowel or stomach, so the Gas-X won't help the pain in your shoulders or back. I'm not sure how long the discomfort lasts but I hope you feel better soon.
I thought that same thing. It's probably all mental, but when I took Gas-X post-op with this surgery, the gas pains in my shoulder subsided.

Not sure how that worked, as my DH and I were thinking the same thing. So we chalked it up as mental. I didn't care, it helped and that's all I worried about!
Unread 05-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Just got off the phone with doc's office. The nurse told me that the CO2 pumped in filled a lot of empty body cavities and it takes about 2 weeks! for a body to absorb the gas pumped in during an LAVH. The gas is pumped in around the ribs, etc.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.