HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long do staples stay in? how long do staples stay in?

Unread 05-03-2008, 06:44 AM
how long do staples stay in?

I had an bikini incision of about 7". The dr removed half of the staples the day I was discharged from the hospital and replaced them with Steri-strips. The rest were removed at my 10 day post-op visit. It did not hurt at all - a little sting sometimes.

Unread 05-03-2008, 07:27 AM

Mine came out at 12 days post-op. I took pain pills about an hour before my appointment to have them removed, because I was terrified to have them taken out. It wasn't bad at all...I hardly even felt them getting removed! There was only one that caused discomfort and then it was a bit tender after they were all removed. It bothered me more to look at them during those 12 days than it did to have them taken out.
Unread 05-03-2008, 10:50 AM

My staples were removed on day 5. Didn't hurt at all.
Unread 05-03-2008, 05:03 PM

My staples were removed 10 days later in the Dr office. He just clipped them with something that looked like wire cutters and puled them out. We just sat there talking the whole time, I really honestly did not feel a thing!!

Good Luck!!!!!
Unread 05-03-2008, 05:32 PM

Mine were removed day 4, the day I left the hospital and they didn't hurt at all
Unread 05-03-2008, 06:42 PM

It really depends on your dr how long you have your staples but most times it is 5 to 7 days with steri strips after.... becareful of the steri strips though some people namely me are allergic and get major blisters from
them...had 3 c-sections and all 3 times got major blisters even after I told them that I break out with blisters they used them..... Wonder what this dr will use instead of the steri strips hopefully she is more intellegent then my babies drs were...
my surgery is scheduled May 20th and wish you all the best...
Unread 05-04-2008, 01:05 AM

whocanitbe,
At your pre-op, ask your dr about using Durabond instead of staples. Basically, Durabond is similar to a superglue, and it is used to glue the edges of teh incision back together. It is being used more frequently now, in most major surgeries. I have even seen it used on an open heart sternal incision. Much nicer than either staples or sutures, and does not have to be removed, the body just reabsorbs it when the incision is healed. Also leaves less of a scar
Of course, you will have to see what your Dr's preference is, and what he suggests, just thought I'd throw another option out there.
Unread 05-15-2008, 08:10 AM

Mine came out 7 day check up, I was a nervous wreck and I too took a pain pill before, however, it didn't hurt at all. But my doc said if it did, he would give me local to ease the pain.
Unread 05-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Usually staples as with stitches is 7-10 days. I had mine out 9 days after surgery. Then they swabbed my incisions with an antiobiotic and attached steri strips. I was told to leave them on 1 week. My scars are healing well. Once the strips came off I applied Vitamin E oil to the incisions 2 x per day. Once they looked really good, I started using the Mederma. I am 12 weeks out and can hardly notice 2 of my scars.
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:25 PM

thanks...I am soooooooo scared of the staples...All I could envision was my dr using a huge staple remover :::SHOCK::::

thanks for putting me at ease....now what else am I going to fret about?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.