HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Switching from Premarin to Estradiol Switching from Premarin to Estradiol

Unread 05-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Switching from Premarin to Estradiol

Hi! I haven't posted for quite a while!!!! I am almost 3 years post-op and things have been going really well. However, I just can't afford the Premarin any more so am thinking of switching to estradiol. I was on .625 Premarin 2 times a day, so not quite sure what to switch to. My OB from surgery left town so I have talked with a different one who tells me just to play around with the dosage. Has anyone switched from Premarin to estradiol and what were your results? I am just really scared because the Premarin works and I have felt better in many ways since before the surgery, but the cost is killing me. Any help would be appreciated! (I did search here, just looking for more input. Thanks!
Unread 05-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Maybe you can talk to your pharmacist and see what he suggests. I do know that Estrace pill is very inexpensive. Estrace has estradiol in it . I take the patch form Vivelle dot and I like how it works.

s
Unread 05-07-2008, 08:47 AM

I switched from premarin 1.25 to estradiol 2mg I split the dose am and pm, I let it disolve under my tongue, the transition was not too bad, I did have a couple of bad hormonal headaches, but that is it. It takes a little while for estradiol to build up in your system.So give it time, it is biodentical,that means it is more like what your ovaries produced , I know it is scarey to change HRT when something is working well. Estradiol is very inexpensive. That is just my experinence, everyone is different. Good luck to you!!!!
Unread 05-07-2008, 11:36 AM

blue couch...my first instinct s to say say don't change if its workng, but I understand your problem.

I did try premarin and still like it best. Problem for me is any pill. My body seems to be in constant flux. same with creams, gels patches. Right now, usiing femring...love it's steady dosing, love my hair finally growing back...but I'm so tired. I've added testosterone and that makes it better, but not as good as takng Premarin was for me.

When I switched to just estradiol, I get so tired I become almost catatonic...no matter what brand or what delivery system. There is something in the Premarin for me that works much better and makes me feel much better.

Is there any way you'r doctor would gve you some samples to help?

Good luck on your decison.
Unread 05-09-2008, 12:07 AM

I switched from premarin 1.25mg a day to estradiol 1.25mg a day and feel so much better now then I did on premarin. Hope you find something that helps you and sorry to hear about your problem and hope you find something to help you!
Unread 05-09-2008, 05:50 AM

Isn't that interesting and what makes this so hard, is how everyone's experience is different.
Unread 05-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and made the switch. I started the Estradiol on Wednesday. From what I've read it will take a few weeks to take effect, am I right? Right now I am feeling pretty weepy, but I figure that I haven't had the Premarin for almost 4 days and if the Estradiol isn't built up yet that could be why. I know I said things were going well with the Premarin, but some more research has me thinking about that too. I have been having hair loss, enough that my hairdresser noticed a really thinning almpost bald spot on the top of my head. Also, I have had a tummy bulge I haven't been able to get rid of for the life of me. Maybe those things were from the Premarin and they will get better with the Estradiol. One can only hope right!?!?!? My libido had been better than it had been since before having kids(11 years ago for the first one), so I hope that doesn't change with the Estradiol.
Keep the thoughts/ideas coming! I'd love to hear anything you have to offer.
Unread 06-13-2008, 08:14 PM

I was on premarin and switched to estradiol and have been better then ever. Recently I had problems but that was because I forgot to increase the dose when I started losing weight. My dr put me on 2mg, increased my progesterone cream and antidepressants until it starts working. Hope this helps and even though I keep increasing the dose I still have less side effects then I did on premarin. Good luck and give it time to work it's been worth it to me
Unread 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM

I was switched from Premarin to Evamist. It is a new delivery system (I think). It looks kinda like an asthma inhaler. You spray it on inside of your forearm. I was on Premarin 1.25 and now about a quarter of the dose using this new system. So far so good. I was given a sample. I ask the pharmacist about the cost and was told it was far less than the Premarin.
The Evamist is Estradiol.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.