HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Why do I keep getting a low-grade fever (5 days post-op)? Why do I keep getting a low-grade fever (5 days post-op)?

Unread 05-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Why do I keep getting a low-grade fever (5 days post-op)?

Through each day I've been fine but each evening I keep getting a low-grade fever (99-100.5). Anyone know why this is? Is this normal? I don't have any other symptoms except feeling a little rundown as I normally do with a fever. Any ideas?????
Unread 05-11-2008, 08:59 PM

you just had major surgery, so your body is healing. But, I would suggest calling your doctor tomorrow morning. Good luck!
Unread 05-11-2008, 09:44 PM

It's not uncommon. I had them for months. I suggest doing a search on this site for "low grade fevers"...lots of great information that made me feel so much better. While they were going on during my recovery, no one could answers my questions about the fevers. One day I just happened to do the search, and I was amazed at how many people had these same low grade, in the evening fevers. I'm also amazed that my doctor couldn't tell me more about them!!! The good news is that they are not anything serious. However, they sure made me feel crummy when they came on! Know that they won't last forever and best wishes to you!
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:18 AM

As long as they don't go above 101 the doc won't even consider them a fever After 101 they will and usually say go to ER Just keep tabs on it I had a staph infection after surgery I didn't check temp till 10 days after surgery when it was 101 but I didn't take them seriously when they said go to ER The next morn it was 104 plus and I was back in hospital with big drugs They said very rare, you are probably fine and just healing well Good Healing
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:23 AM

As long as it is a low grade fever, it is normal. Your body is just trying to heal from major surgery.
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:54 AM

My doc said anything over 100.2 was a cause for concern, could be a infection starting, at 2 wks I went in, I had a low fever for cpl days as it turned out I had a yeast infection. Better to be safe than sorry I would call the doc.

Good Luck and Have a GREAT Day!
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:17 AM

Call your Dr you might have an infection. I've had 6 infections...thats right 6 since my surgery. You need to see if you have some type of infection and get on antibiotics before it spreads to your kidneys or becomes very serious.
Unread 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM

I had a low grade fever for 10 days post op. It never went above 100.2. Since I had it in the hospital they told me not to worry unless it went above 100.5. But, if your Doctor did not tell you that, you should call him/her. All Dr's handle things differently.

Good luck!
Unread 05-12-2008, 03:21 PM

I'm glad people wrote in...I have now started to run a low grade fever...but only at night!!! Starting at about 4:00 , Ill start to get a fever....by about 7:00 the temp will be 100-101 degrees...chills, aches and just miserable...I'll got to bed...trouble sleeping too...and I'll wake up and feel CURED! No fever, I feel good again...and then by 4:00 PM I "ll feel like crap again...I am going to the DR on 5/13 at 2:15 and he had better give me an answer or drugs or something...its freaky...I feel for you sister...follow up with your DR and keep track of your symptoms
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM

I would call dr to at least let him/her know.

Another thing is to make sure you are getting enough fluids in your system, preferably ones having low sodium or no sodium at all. I get low grade fevers from not having enough fluids.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.