HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Pain at 6 weeks post-LAVH Pain at 6 weeks post-LAVH

Unread 05-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Pain at 6 weeks post-LAVH

Keeping in mind that "normal" is really just a setting on the clothes dryer (ha).....I wondered where you are/were at six weeks recovery?
I had a LAVH on March 31st. Today is that magical date of "six weeks" since surgery, and to be honest, I am NOT where I imagined I'd be. I have my post-op tomorrow, and my dr. will decide if I return to work or not.
I still have periods of time where it feels like severe menstrual cramping, and MAJOR swelly belly most afternoons/evenings. When it swells up like that, it can be excruciating.
To be honest, I figured that by three or four weeks I'd be pretty much healed, which in retrospect seems pretty cocky. This surgery has really been humbling in that there is NO "mind over matter". I dread telling my doctor what I'm really feeling. Somehow I feel like a failure for not "popping back" more quickly.
It doesn't help that today a coworker called to tell me that a friend of hers had surgery the same day as me and was riding four wheelers this weekend.
I'm genuinely thrilled for ANYONE who is recovering so amazingly - I just feel down in the dumps because my body is not cooperating.
Anyone else still having pain at six weeks?
Thank you in advance (and thank you for letting me vent!)
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM

All I remember about 6 wks is being very tired still and having the bad swelly belly. I went back to work at 4 wks and that was way too soon - this really is an initial six to eight week recovery, even if you don't have the big abdominal incision. And the rest of the recovery does take a while. At 5 months am doing everything I normally did but am still tired, still swollen. I also thought that I would be just great by 3 or 4 weeks. You shouldn't dread telling your Dr how you feel - it isn't abnormal and you shouldn't be embarrassed. As for the woman out riding 4 wheelers - she might find herself physically paying for that adventure in a couple days. Mariah
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:28 AM

I will be 6 weeks out on Wed. Last Friday I was OK'd at my postop for everything after the 6 weeks is up.
I am tired and need to rest several times a day. And my belly swells up if I am up and about for a couple hours. I will be calling the HR department at work today to let them know I will be only part time for the first 5 work days. I scheduled 4 days of vacation after that! WOOHOO!

I agree with morgainec that the gal on the 4wheeler may be sorry. She could pull stitches or have some internal bleeding and maybe adhesions.

Normal for you is whatever your body is telling you it needs. Listen well!
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:35 AM

I am feeling very frustrated at almost three weeks so I can only imagine how you are doing at 6 weeks. I am still taking tylenol and motrin a couple of times a day as my tummy feels like I have been kicked a few times. I so expected to heal faster and not to be laying around at this point.

I want you to know you are in my thoughts Evergreene and I hope it gets easier from here.

Hugs,
Tracy
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Hi Evergreene, I am about 4 months and still get very tired by the end of the day - I work as a temp for the school board and have decided not to accept jobs for the rest of the school year.

I think you should tell your Dr. how you REALLY are feeling - everyone is different and there is no need to push yourself just because "someone knows someone who was better faster than you". Take care of yourself, our bodies went through a huge thing and we all need time to slowly recover. take care, Veronica

TAH - vertical incision
(kept ovaries)
Unread 05-12-2008, 10:42 AM
At ten weeks

I am ten weeks out and today is my first full day back at work. I had two weeks of half-days. I tried to go back at six weeks out and nothin' doin'!!! I could barely walk without bad pain and since I work in a adult men's prison and my job requires a fair amount of lifting, walking up and down stairs and to other buildings...my doc ordered me out for two more weeks. I was thankful; my (female)supervisor was ticked. (and too bad, right??? ;-)
Anyhow...everyone is different. I thought, too, that at six weeks I would be back in the saddle, everything cool, working out again, life back to normal...NOT!!!! I cried a lot out of frustration. But, during those two extra weeks, I really felt myself healing. I could walk better, farther. I was up on my feet more. I went out on the Harley. It was AWESOME. I still have the swelling around the incision but not too bad. Wearing all my old clothes, no problem. But...still can't lift and can't walk really super fast. And, sex is very, very painful. I'm going to see my doc tomorrow about that. I hope it's just that I'm still healing because believe me, the desire is there!!!
Every day gets better, I swear it. Keep walking, keep drinking tons of water, eat right, and hopefully we can all say in no time that we are done with this post-op business.
Yes, that four-wheelin' chick probably hurt herself--I waited nine weeks to start swimming again, but I have been also walking a lot, every day, since day one, and doing light hand weights to stay in minimal shape. I think it helped. It's kind of like, force yourself to do something, but don't overdo it!! It's a fine line, but you know your body.
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM

I am 7 weeks tomorrow, I had my six week post-op and was NOT released. I have been back to work @ 5 1/2 weeks and that is fine but, I still have stitches not dissolved & swelling @ my cuff. I still can not lift anything over 10 pounds, no vaccuming & no Sex for two more weeks. yes, we all heal differently and you know your body. DO NOT push it. My Dr. told me that I am stil swollen probably because I did too much early in the recovery.
Mine was an LAVH also, but there was an uexpected fibroid on my rectum so, I think that is why I am recovering slower than I thought I would ve.

Hang in there. I was pretty discouraged after my six week post op appt. but, my DH is very supportive & told me to "just take care of myself first".
If you aren't read DO NOT go back to work.
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM

Guess it all depends. I can lift heavy stuff now and I am right about 5 weeks. I just get tired easy, is all. My doctor okayed me to start riding my bike a little, as of week four. I have ridden two short rides since - felt fantastic after first short 4 miler, but yetserday felt like crap after another 4 miler. I guess there will be good days and bad days.
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:51 AM

I am six weeks post-op and I haven't returned to work. I have some discomfort, but not that bad. I still have the swelly belly. My problem with returning to work is anxiety and just plain tired. I feel so guilty that I haven't returned to work. I don't know what to do. Doc doesn't care. He just said, "Go back whenever you want to".
Unread 05-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Do not get discouraged. Everyone is different and this is one operation no one can predict how you are going to feel after so many weeks. There might be mile markers so to speak, but they are only guidelines. I am at my month check point. I returned to work full time after 6 weeks. I probably over did it but I am still tired. I had a total hysterectomy and had them take my ovaries. My fibroids degenerated but they could not tell that for sure until after the surgery. I went in not knowing for sure because they could not see my ovaries. Turns out the fibroids hid them. Just get all the rest you can and do not be hard on yourself. The fact I bounced back fast was not appreciated at home or at work. People just assume no big deal. It is a big deal. Do yourself a favor and be fair to yourself.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.