HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does losing cervix affect sex? Does losing cervix affect sex?

Unread 05-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Does losing cervix affect sex?

Hi all -

I'm trying to come to some sort of decision about whether I'm going to have hysterectomy or not. When discussing it with my doctor the other day, I asked about keeping my cervix. He said that he routinely removes the cervix when he takes the uterus, so as to avoid the possibility of cancer later. My question is this: does not having a cervix affect sex in any way? I hate to admit how little I know about female anatomy, but I am curious as to what difference it might make in sexual sensation?

Anyone have experience with that they'd care to share? Thank you!

Peace,
Michelle
Unread 05-13-2008, 06:59 AM

Having just had a similar conversation with my Dr. yesterday, I can tell you he feels that the risk of cervical cancer is greatly diminished by routine Pap tests and that if something is healthy it probably shouldn't be removed.

Since we weren't talking about removing my cervix, we didn't get deeply into the topic of sexuality minus a cervix, but he did say that LONG TERM results were similar while short term (within 2 years) women who had to have their cervix removed did experience problems. (not just sexual, other ones as well...) AND, as I understand it, some orgasms are a result of cervical stimulations, so there's that.

He was also candid enough to say that just because something is routine doesn't mean it's always the right thing to do.

There's also the issue of risk and recovery. Removing the cervix is much more invasive and involves much more tissue trauma than 'just' removing the uterus.

This is ONLY MY OPINION so take it with a huge grain of salt, since I'm about as knowledgeabe as you are, probably less, but this seems like a situation where a second opinion would be warranted.

Best of luck to you!
Beseda
Unread 05-13-2008, 07:11 AM

I asked the same questions of my doc. Some of the things he asked me to consider (I have endometriosis):

Did I have pain with intercourse? Yes. Alot of times that is with the cervix, he will know better when he gets inside.

Was I able to have orgasm with clitoral stimulation? Yes. Then I should be able to continue to have orgasm.

For me, with the endo, it may be best to remove the cervix and remove one more opportunity for endo to grow.

Each person has to make their own decisions, good luck with yours.

Shelly
Unread 05-13-2008, 07:23 AM

Trust me, I lost my cervix and sex is WONDERFUL! Much better than Pre-Op.
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:22 AM

I was worried too , but it didnt change sex well it made it beter no more pain and bleeding. Hubby said he noticed but didnt change a thing!
lots of luck
hugs
lisa
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:50 PM

Hi, Michelle:

I am having a LSH on May 29th. I am keeping my cervix and ovaries. After doing lot's of research, I found that there are positive benefits of keeping these organs if they are working well. You may want to get a 2nd opinion.

Good luck,

Eunice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle523
Hi all -

I'm trying to come to some sort of decision about whether I'm going to have hysterectomy or not. When discussing it with my doctor the other day, I asked about keeping my cervix. He said that he routinely removes the cervix when he takes the uterus, so as to avoid the possibility of cancer later. My question is this: does not having a cervix affect sex in any way? I hate to admit how little I know about female anatomy, but I am curious as to what difference it might make in sexual sensation?

Anyone have experience with that they'd care to share? Thank you!

Peace,
Michelle
Unread 05-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Hi Chelle523,

I kept my cervix with my LSH. I was a good candidate to keep it since I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy.

You can get two schools of thinking on keeping the cervix or not. The cervix is the size of a large button and the neck of the uterus. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that the he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. True for me. Also, he said that 3% or less of women get cervical cancer. I read on Hyster Sisters that over 70% of that 3% also have a HPV. Since I knew I did not have a HPV, that just added to my decision to keep my cervix.

If a Hyster Sister keeps one or both ovaries and the cervix..there can be a chance of a mini-period in post-op. Generally, ladies report needing a pantyliner at that time of the month. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and that has helped me to not have any mini-periods in post-op.

In the end...just do what is *best * for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 05-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi, Mary:

Thanks for the information. I wrote you because I knew you had a LSH. I am having mine on 5/29/2008. I am keeping my ovaries and cervix.

I keep hearing that so many women are experience a low sex drive after their hyst. And I am afraid that this may happen to me.

Also, I am reading about a swollen belly after surgery. Did you experience a swollen belly? And how long did it last?

Help!!!

Thanks again,

Eunice

Quote:
Originally Posted by historylady
Hi Chelle523,

I kept my cervix with my LSH. I was a good candidate to keep it since I had normal pap smears for years and my cervix was sturdy.

You can get two schools of thinking on keeping the cervix or not. The cervix is the size of a large button and the neck of the uterus. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that the he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. True for me. Also, he said that 3% or less of women get cervical cancer. I read on Hyster Sisters that over 70% of that 3% also have a HPV. Since I knew I did not have a HPV, that just added to my decision to keep my cervix.

If a Hyster Sister keeps one or both ovaries and the cervix..there can be a chance of a mini-period in post-op. Generally, ladies report needing a pantyliner at that time of the month. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and that has helped me to not have any mini-periods in post-op.

In the end...just do what is *best * for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM

For: Eunice

My LSH is still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

In answer to your questions...I feel in my case, my sex drive has not diminshed since my hyst. I did keep my ovaries and cervix and I think by keeping both, it has helped me in the area of sex.

On the swelly belly..I did have it for (10) days post-op. Some LSH ladies report a shorter time...and some report longer. I was able to get back into my work clothes by the 2-week mark.

Hope that helps.

Mary
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM

i kept mine so i dont know if there is a difference without it but i would suggest you get a second opinion. your dr telling you that he routinely removes the cervix (which would mean even if it was healthy) is just not right. why would he want to remove something thats healthy? i dont understand that school of thought at all. if you have any doubts and think you might want to keep it...either tell him how you feel or find another dr to discuss it with. good luck with your decision

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway