HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

After Laparoscopic Hysterectomy After Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

Unread 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
After Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

Hello!

Hi hystersisters..... I am new to this. I just had my laparascopic hysterectomy on Mon (12 May) and would like to share my experience and pain and get some advice.

I was mentally prepared for the stitches wound (anyhow, it was very small cut... 3 cuts plus the one on the umbilicus). BUt it was this bloatedness and gas trapped in my body that i am totally not ready for. First day after operation, i had tremendous pain on my shoulder. I was told it would be there and would go away. It did on the second day but last night, i had immense pain on my ribs, diaphragm, shoulder, neck, head and ear. Every breath i took was painful. I couldnt lie down and had to sit up. Pain was lesser but it persisted. Had to take sedatives to sleep and painkillers.

Took a lot of ginger tea and walked around neighbourhood but this bloatedness doesnt seem to go away. I look at my own body and it is so round.

Can anyone help me out here? I dont know if i will have pain when i sleep tonight and how else can i get the gas to go away? I dont lie down at all in the day.

Oh one more thing, just realised i gained 3 kg. Is it due to gas? I dont eat awfully a lot and maintained 3 meals a day. Will this weight go away? And the round abdomen and pain....

Thanks for hearing me out and hope to hear from you all
Unread 05-16-2008, 12:10 AM

I am 9 days post, and my belly is round also. It is the swelling from the trauma. From what I hear it will go away. As for the gas, I also had that. I would lay on the bed on my back and bend up my knees (like put your feet on the bed like doing sit ups) but dont do sit ups. It just seems that little bit of pressure helped the gas come out. I also would stand in the shower with the water hitting the lower back area and that seemed to help with the gas pains also. Just a thought, hope you get some relief.
Unread 05-16-2008, 01:15 AM
asante sana!

Thank you Amy! I will do as you have said. You had the same surgery and now 9 days and still bloated? Oh boy, today is my 3rd day only.

My doctor told me that there was 4L of gas pumped inside my body and not all could be pumped out. Some escaped to the shoulder and plueral cavity and so all this pain.

Will remember you in prayer, Amy. Keep in touch to see how we fare. My stitches will be taken out tomorrow. But i dont think i can wear my jeans or stuff like that. I just realised i am heavier by 3kg. Argh.... all this gas.
Unread 05-16-2008, 03:03 AM

Hi there,

This is my first reply, I saw your post and wanted to tell you what you are going through is normal.

I had my surgery on May 5th and I am still quite bloated, there is an article on this site that explains the pain in your shoulder so take a peek for it.

My post op instructions recommended walking, warm tea, solid food-rich in colour-(strawberries, green beans, fruit juices, a very small amount of prunes or prune juice daily) to help move the gas through your system.

Do lay down and rest as well-this is when your body can work on the internal healing. I found standing for too long really cramped up my back and made it difficult to breath comfortably.

When you start to eat more solids, walk, and drink warm beverages it will start more regular bowel movements and that helps work the gas through your GI tract.

I have had a lot less gas pain in the last couple of days but the first week was quite painful. Sometimes a dull ache and other time a sharp shooting pain.As of this moment the most irritated area is my right pec area and under my armpit.

My doctor's office has confirmed it's all normal and the pain can be (right side) from just under your chin down to the upper breast area, into your armpit, the back of your neck, and your shoulder area front and back.

It just takes time, but be reassured you are not alone I understand from all the post op info I had it takes time and it will lessen a little bit at a time.

Good luck with your recovery, feel better soon,
Michelle
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:31 AM

i had terrible gas pain after my lsh, so much that i couldnt eat or drink and stayed in the hospital on a morphine drip. i was really surprised at how painful it was because the surgery itself wasnt. by the third day it did go away to the point where i felt good. your weight gain is probaby water weight from the iv's you had will also go away. hang in there...it will get better every day
Unread 05-16-2008, 06:08 AM

I became constipated from the vicodin and the pain from that and the gas was much worse than the pain from the five small incisions. It was a good eight days before I was able to move my bowels. The gas probably decreased by the fourth day or so.

I am over 8 weeks pst op and still have the swelly belly. I found "flowing dresses" and elastic-waist pants on sale online that I am wearing to work now. Even though I feel "fat" in my new clothes, people at work are telling me how cute they are!

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Hi, I had my LAHV just this Wed and the upper body gas pain is probably my worst complaint. I've been getting quite a bit of relief by doing simple (easy) stretches. I bring my elbows back as if to hold a tennis ball between my shoulder blades and hold for a few seconds. Then I do the opposite, bring my arms foreward and round my back and hold. I do a few of these throughout the day and it seems to move those pockets of air. Also, that dreaded breathing apparatus they send you home with is helpful. Yea, it hurts to pull all that air in, but also seems to help with the gas. Good luck. Hopefully we won't feel like over-inflated beachballs for long.
Unread 05-16-2008, 08:56 AM

Hi Ladies. My LAVH was on 2/20. I had some of the gas pain issues where the gas went to my shoulder area. I had more of this after my tubal in 2005 though. This time my dr. (a different dr. than the one that did my tubal) suggested I put a hot compress on my neck/shoulders. It definitely helped.
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:22 AM

Make sure you drink plenty of water and try to move around. I remember the nurses telling me that to help the gas escape. I know it is painful but it will get better soon. If the gas pressure is in your bowls try Gas X it really helped with those types of pains.
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:06 PM

When I woke up and was moved to my room, my belly was bloated as well as being so thirsty. I drank 4 of those pitches they give you at you bed, within the first couple hours. I swear that is exacty what helped me. I also walked 2 hours after surgery. Maybe that helped me get the gas moving. When I came home the next day I did GasEx after I ate every time. But I really think it was the water and walking that moved everything out. Good luck!!

LSH 5/8/08 removed uterus and 22 week pregnancy sized fibroid

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.