HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Abdominal hysterectomy recovery Abdominal hysterectomy recovery

Unread 05-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Abdominal hysterectomy recovery

I had TAH on May 7th. 10 days ago. I had endometriosis and adenomyosis. The pain was incredible before the surgery. I had my cervix removed just so the endo won't come back there. I kept my ovaries as I they were in great shape.

I am living in a 5 storey side split home. There are tons of stairs. They are no problem at all, although I won't make a special run upstairs unless I absolutely need to. Just in case.

The pain is just a tad worse than it was before the surgery, as long as I don't move too much. My belly is swollen and very tender but that is normal.

Avoid stuff that will give you gas. Gas pains are the pits. Walk as soon as you can after your surgery then walk, walk, walk. It will activate your digestive system and therefore easing the pain.

I spent 3 days in the castle. I was supposed to stay longer because of a lower back/sciatica problem that could have prevented my getting up and walking, if I wasn't so pig-headed . I decided to walk even if my back was sore and it was very beneficial.
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Hello Everyone! I wanted to throw my two cents in. On April 17 I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible abdominal pain. Painful enough to take an ambulance to our neighborhood hospital alone. I was afraid that my appendix was about to burst. It wasn't my appendix. After some very scarey moments and five days of tests and preop I had the abdominal hysterectomy. Since women of my nationality are more at risk for ovarian cancer the ovaries were also removed and since I'm 54 I really didn't mind. The only trouble I had postop was dealing with the nausea from the pain meds. (and the nausea medicine!) The surgeon found pus in my fallopian tubes and there was a fear that I could get sepsis which can be fatal. So I couldn't go home for five days after the surgery. Luckily none of the bacteria they found had infiltrated anywhere else and didn't grow in the lab so I finally got to go home after several days of IV antibiotics on April 28th. Since then I've been easing back into my hectic life. I'm going back to work for a few hours a day on Monday. My pain has been entirely managed with Motrin and that's a relief. I was worried about constipation so I drink hot water with my meals. When I go to the bathroom I use a pillow on my belly and that really helps so I don't strain as much. I just switched to a Tickle Me Elmo doll that happened to be in the bathroom the other day. It's kind of funny when I make Elmo giggle. The scariest part was the first 24 hours when we weren't sure what was going on. On the whole this experience really wasn't so bad. Andrea
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andieb4
Hello Everyone! I wanted to throw my two cents in. On April 17 I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible abdominal pain. Painful enough to take an ambulance to our neighborhood hospital alone. I was afraid that my appendix was about to burst. It wasn't my appendix. After some very scarey moments and five days of tests and preop I had the abdominal hysterectomy. Since women of my nationality are more at risk for ovarian cancer the ovaries were also removed and since I'm 54 I really didn't mind. The only trouble I had postop was dealing with the nausea from the pain meds. (and the nausea medicine!) The surgeon found pus in my fallopian tubes and there was a fear that I could get sepsis which can be fatal. So I couldn't go home for five days after the surgery. Luckily none of the bacteria they found had infiltrated anywhere else and didn't grow in the lab so I finally got to go home after several days of IV antibiotics on April 28th. Since then I've been easing back into my hectic life. I'm going back to work for a few hours a day on Monday. My pain has been entirely managed with Motrin and that's a relief. I was worried about constipation so I drink hot water with my meals. When I go to the bathroom I use a pillow on my belly and that really helps so I don't strain as much. I just switched to a Tickle Me Elmo doll that happened to be in the bathroom the other day. It's kind of funny when I make Elmo giggle. The scariest part was the first 24 hours when we weren't sure what was going on. On the whole this experience really wasn't so bad.
Andrea

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.