HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Abdominal hysterectomy recovery time Abdominal hysterectomy recovery time

Unread 05-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Abdominal hysterectomy recovery time

I'm trying to research the recovery period for the open abdominal incision surgeries, not the laparoscopic ones. And I see many include TAH, but I'm trying to determine the ones that had the open incision vs. lap incisions. I know recovery period is much less, so I want to be careful about being too optimistic with the responses I get!! How long did you have a difficult time getting up and down?
Unread 05-14-2008, 08:11 PM

I had the abdominal hyst (TAH) with everything taken out & it was not near as bad as I thought it would be. Im 7 weeks tomorrow & have just very minimal discomfort now. the hospital sent me home with an abdominal binder that I wore most of the time for the 1st week, that helped me alot. A small pillow to hold around the incision is also good, especially for coughing and sneezing & for the trip home----very important!!! There is quite a bit of soreness but for me it was manageable with just motrin and resting after moving around for a little bit.
good luck!
Unread 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy with everything removed on 4/15th. I came home two days later and with the exception of some swelling and little pain the first week (I just took Extra Strength Tylenol ) I can't complain. Now in my 5th week, I am almost back on track as far as doing chores, except I have been told by everyone NO VACUUMING for 6 weeks. I still have a swollen ridge above the incisions and I feel periodic twinges of pain, but not bad enough for Tylenol. Those pains are from nerves regenerating, a sign of healing.

It was torture for me not getting to do much. BUT, I wanted to heal properly so I obeyed doctor's. orders. I am SO glad they took everything because both of my ovaries were diseased and my uterus was very enlarged, along with about seven fibroids.

Good luck! Looking back, the surgery was worth not having to have female problems anymore in the future. PLUS I can't get gynecological cancer since cervix, ovaries, tubes and uterus was removed.
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:42 AM

Why keep the cervix? My doc never even gave me the option, but I don't see what the purpose of keeping it is? Can someone tell me?
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM

I too am obsessed with this site... spend way too much time on here in the morning!! I had a SAH/BSO on 2/27. Was in the hospital from Wed through Sunday afternoon. I was originally having the hysterectomy because of fibroids but the Dr discovered Stage 4 endo and I had a more complecated hospital stay because of that... lots of vomiting, bowel issues, etc. Since being released my recovery has gone well except for a few minor issues... itching for weeks from the anesthesia or the dye used to check my ureters, blood pressure, hot flashes, allergic reactions to various meds... those kinds of things. No problems with infection, no serious pain. I was back to work much sooner than I should have been... I'm a flower shop owner and we had an unexpected increase in business.

I kept my cervix but everything else is gone. My right ovary and tube were 5 inches from where they should have been tucked back behind the uterus.

I still have swelly belly.... possibly because I am on my feet too much and lifting too much!

Wish you the best! My Dr and his staff are the greatest!
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:57 AM

I had abdominal hysterectomy with cervix and ovaries removed, they also stiched up my bladder (make sure you ask about it) on 4/9. I had heard horror stories, so I of course, expected the worse. However, it really wasn't that bad. I did need the painkillers and continued them until I felt ready to go off of them (approx 4 weeks) although some people said they didn't need them at all. My suggestions are to make sure they give you anti nausuea pill before surgery, and take stool softeners as soon as you get home and continue with them. Also, I take gasx pills and that helped alot with the pain. My doctor also used a new pain type of pump that went directly into my incision, I did not have much pain there so I am sure it worked. It was in after surgery and taken out before I came home. This is different than you pain pump that you control. As for steps I was also afraid and did not go upstairs for 3 days. I did go up backwards and it helped and I had no problem. I also stayed on my recliner couch, which is a great help as you are not laying flat on your back. I am now wearing the support they gave me from the hospital and it is great help. Good Luck to you.
Unread 05-15-2008, 08:01 AM

This is a bit awkward, but I had my cervix removed and although my DH and I haven't had intercourse I have had the pleasure of experiencing the big O. I had 5 in a row! In the past, the most I could do was 2. I can't believe I just admitted this. LOL
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:11 AM

Everybody is sure going to be jealous!!!
Unread 05-15-2008, 11:49 AM

One thing that you have to remember is that everyone heals differantly. and handles pain differantly.

I had an abdominal and had it all removed.

With 2 previous -- could it be cancer?? with other parts of the body -- I decided to not take the chance with cervical cancer even being an option. If you have just the cervix and something goes wrong with it -- my doctor told me that it can make it a very difficult surgery to remove it by itself.

as for the recovery -- listen to your body -- if you are tired then take a nap -- but there is no reason to totally quit existing and doing things. BUT do take care of yourself.

I am a goer and a doer -- so for me sitting was hard -- but i listened to my body -- and had a great recovery. for me -- I really was never in a lot of pain after the surgery -- i admit -- i took the pain killers to sleep -- but actually did not have restful sleep when taking them.

Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery and your recovery
Unread 05-15-2008, 12:37 PM

hi there....another response from 'the other side'. I had a TAH May 2nd....when you see TAH or SAH, those include the abdominal incision (bout 6 inches or so,longer than I expected)...the mini incisions are the laparascopic ones, and typically are done as part of the vaginal hysts.

on the cervix....my doc gave me the choice....I ran through the list of pros and cons as I understood them, and she responded as follows ..(no promises that this is a complete list)
1. impact on sexual sensation -- doc said studies showed no adverse impact, and what I could find online, seemed mostly inconclusive on this issue
2. length of surgery -- she said it would add no more than 5 minutes
3. no personal hx or family hx of bad pap smears -- she acknowledged that was certainly a positive thing, supporting a decision to keep the cervix
4. cervix needed for support of pelvic floor -- she said that the way she stitches everything in place, after the uterus is removed, this is not an issue
5. possibility of fibroids returning, if cervix is not removed -- she said that it was rare, but it was certainly possible, in which case a 2nd surgery to remove the fibroids and cervix would be very similar to the initial
hysterectomy
(and I was unconcerned about light bleeding,if I kept the cervix, so I didn't even mention that).
These were just my concerns, and my doc's comments -- check with your own doc. for me, #5 was the final straw....there was no way I was willing to risk even the slightest chance of having fibroids come back.

Hope this helps

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.