HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone over 60 having Hysterectomy Anyone over 60 having Hysterectomy

Unread 05-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Anyone over 60 having Hysterectomy

Is anyone over 60 at a higher risk of complications having a hysterectomy. I see most of the people posting on here in their 30's to 50"s

I'm a little concerned as to how I will do with recovery, I am in good health otherwise. I have a fibroid uerus.
Unread 05-19-2008, 07:01 AM

Hi emd1126
I will soon be 55, so I'm not quite in your age range yet, but I wanted to say welcome. I know there are a few women your age scattered around the site. You're right, we don't see a lot. I'm guessing the older women don't tend to use a computer as readily as the younger ones.

I'm not aware of any special problems that occur because of age. If you're in good health otherwise that will help a lot. I would ask the dr about normal healing issues. I know that as we age healing can take a little longer with any kind of surgery. This is a long recovery, even for the younger women, so it's good to head into it knowing what an average recovery looks like and what your risks are.

There's a lot of good information in the resource section of the site here and you might also want to read through the Pre-Op Articles for information that will help you be prepared.

I wish you well, and hope everything goes smoothly. Hopefully you'll also hear from some of the older women on the site as the time for your surgery approaches.
's, Rita
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Hi, I am 65 and I will be having a DaVinci Robot hysterectomy in April. I am scared to death..but I haev been having spotting and cramping with repeated bladder problems for over a year. The doctor tried to get into my uterus to do a biop but couldn't, she then tried a D&C and still couldn't get in...I went to a gyn onoc and he suggested a hysterectomy becaue that is the only way they can find out if there is any cancer, orecancer ir whatever..
I hear this is a long surgery and I hate being put out ..
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Sounds like my situation. I had a large uterus removed vaginally because they couldn't get thru my cervix either to test inside my uterus to see if there was a cancer. Thankfully I was all okay but he removed my tubes and ovaries too. Not very painful at all I was gonna do the DaVinci route, met with a surgeon but chickened out of that and went with my regular OB/GYN
The only bad pain I had was gas pains because I didn't move my bowels for about a week. I am in my mid sixties too and recovered quite well. Don't worry, they will give you pain meds and ask for bowel meds so that you don't have gas pain like I had.

Good Luck
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM

The surgery is only about 45 min, try not to be scared I was a nut case too and just thinking about it made me crazy too but it will be okay, you'll see , write me when it's all over okay?
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Why did you not choose the DaVinci Roblt thing? I am just curious..there is something about that scares me and I am not sure what it is.
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Just scared of the machine thing and the Dr said my head would be lower than my body throughout the whole thing, just kinda scary. The operation itself is scary enough and the outcome of the biopsy, didn't need any extra stress about the surgery itself.
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:43 PM

I didn't know that your head would be lower then your body...I don't like that either. I need my head up...OMG I am so scared of this whole thing..Too old for this crap..
Unread 03-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Second opinions are crucial, friends...

There is no rush and alternatives to try first, I regret my quick decision and wish I would have researched more, gotten second opinion from an alternative doctor who knows about hormone issues and the fibroids that grow from estrogen dominance, the foods we eat that contribute to estrogen dominance and alternatives to try before taking this HUGE step.

Please think this through and read, ask and get different views on it.

God Bless and guide you ...
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:33 PM

(((emd1126))) and (((losing my mind))) Your head is lower than your body in virtually all the hysterectomy types. This is necessary so that the other pelvic organs are out of the way rather than pushing down against the uterus and ovaries. If this concerns you, do talk with your surgeon beforehand - perhaps he/she can allay your fears.

I did not have a da Vinci hysterectomy (my hyst was in 2002 and had to be done vaginally due to a very severe prolapse, so I would not have been a candidate for a da Vinci) but I can tell you that, from the surgeon's point of view, there are some advantages. For one thing, if it is a long surgery, they are able to be sitting down throughout the whole thing so they are less likely to be tired. Secondly, the camera that is used gives them a 10X, 3D view of your pelvic organs versus the one-dimensional view obtained with the cameras used in a regular laparascopic procedure or the unmagnified view in traditional open surgery. I have personally "test driven" one of the da Vinci robots and can say it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it and does give a much better view. The only concern with it taking longer would be if you have a history of having problems with anesthesia - that is something you'd want to talk over with the anesthesiologist.

Good luck with your surgeries!

s,
-Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.