HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

5 Days Post-Op - No Bowel Movement Yet 5 Days Post-Op - No Bowel Movement Yet

Unread 05-25-2008, 08:30 AM
5 Days Post-Op - No Bowel Movement Yet

Had surgery Tuesday, May 20th, been home since Thursday, no bowel movement YET !! !! Have walked and walked, drank tons of water, taken Milk of Magnesia tablets, taken Miralax, other stool softeners, drank DanActive. Stopped percocet today because I know that is making the situation worse, hope I can tolerate the pain with less powerful meds. With long holiday upon us, I need your advice and experience to help me find relief. I know my stomach is swollen, extended because of the lack of movement. Have gas, just can't poop. HELP ME, PLEASE. I will consider all suggestions with my current condition and personal situation. Hopefully I can get the magic formula to give me some relief today. Thanks alot.
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Sorry I have no answers for you at this time. I too had my sugery on the 20th and have had only a small BM (today May 25)I was here looking for answers my self and wanted you to know that you are not alone. I too and feeling the same way I didnt talke MY pain pills today hopeing that might help. I have tried prune juice coffee and taking my colace and drinking lots of fluid. some one said to try eating triscuts as they are high in fiber I am also going to try apple juice. Hope and Pray you are feeling better
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:13 AM

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a problem. I have no advice for you but I wanted you to know you are not alone. The gas and lack of BM have been a problem for me too. I've also tried the walking, drinking tons of water, and making sure I am eating enough fiber. I stopped taking the Norco but not my iron, obtained permission from my doctor to take a laxative and finally found a bit of relief two days later. From what I have read, this sounds like a common problem. I hope you find relief soon.
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:16 AM

Hi!
I am 3 1/2 weeks post surgery. I used a glycerine suppository and it worked miracles to get the bowels going. Then I used stool softeners for a few days and really limited my foods to high fibre and easily digested and Lots of water. I'd say that by a week post-op, things were pretty good.
Good luck!
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Stopping the Percocet helped me at first, but then I had another bout of constipation, and couldn't even pass the gas that was building up, which scared me. Glycerine suppository resulted in one tiny BM, but I could tell it was only the tip of the iceberg, and I was still FULL of gas. Milk of Magnesia liquid worked for me. (I'm not sure if the ingredients are the same as MOM pills.) The bottle gives a range for adult dose, can't remember exactly, maybe 3-4 TBS, and I took the upper dose. At first I thought it wasn't working. My tummy gurgled for a few hours, but no BM Then, all of a sudden, an urge to rush to the bathroom and total relief! It took about 6 hours from the time I took it until BM. I've been OK since then with just taking Colace twice a day.
Unread 05-25-2008, 11:25 AM

HI there ... I can understand how you are feeling ... from previous posts, it is not uncommon for the firs BM to take a week or so.

I did not have my first bowel movement until Day 7 ..... drink lots of water and warm ginger ale, eat ruffage such as bran muffins, licorice, apricots, potatoes, veggies.

And walk as much as you can. If you look back a few weeks, you will see more posts giving different suggestions.

I know you will find 'relief' soon!
Unread 05-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Yup, a suppository does the trick and within 20 min you will feel sooooo much better. I used one the first night I came home from the hospital....it helps get the whole "wave motion" going and does not cause any extra pain! Grace
Unread 05-25-2008, 12:26 PM

I had surgery on the 19th and finally had a small bm yesterday (Sat) I've been taking Dulcolax and I'm still sticking to a soft diet and haven't really had the "urge" to go yet, had haven't had any heavy meals, so I'm not too worried yet. Hopefully things will get back on track soon.
Unread 05-25-2008, 02:11 PM

The best thing for constipation honestly, is just watching what you eat during recovery. No bread, pasta, things made with flour....they will sit in your stomach like a ball of dough! I don't know why doctors don't mention this! I had a huge piece of tissue removed by my colon, so planned on eating soft foods from the very beginning, so pooping would not be torture.

I ate nothing but cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, rice cereals or rice noodles for 6 weeks and I had not one problem going to the bathroom, even while taking vicodin. I tried to eat an olive garden salad at week 4, and got so constipated! Salad & raw veggies are not good to eat for a while either and they cause MORE GAS! Yogurt has the acidophilus that helps replenish natural intestinal flora that aids in digestion. I think the bowel prep before surgery can wash out a lot of our natural flora and therefore, cause constipation after surgery too. Pro-biotics can replace that healthy bacteria and get things moving again in there.

Miralax is too strong a laxative to be taking, only 5 days post-op. It can cause very painful intestinal and colon spasms that may prolong your pain and recovery. Be careful! It will happen....be patient, keep walking and eat softer foods and it will work and a benefit too, I lost 13 pounds! Good luck to you and feel better soon!
Unread 05-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Yeah - feel your agony! I too was having difficulty with bowel movements after walking several laps through the house and drinking tons of water. What seemed to do it for me was a huge bowl of honey nut cheerios. Cheerios always seemed to make me loose before the surgery, so I tried them and it worked in about 2 hours. So you don't have to suffer through the holiday, I would contact your doctor to see if a suppository or something else might help (don't forget the Cheerios!).

Good Luck!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.