HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sore teeth after surgery? Sore teeth after surgery?

Unread 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Sore teeth after surgery?

Since about day four after my surgery, my lower teeth have hurt. One tooth seems to wiggle now too. I talked to a friend that is a surgical RN and she told me that it may be from the way I was positioned in the surgery and/or how the appliance for the tube was inserted. In any case, has anyone else had sore teeth? If so what did you do? Jennifer
Unread 05-26-2008, 02:27 AM

Hi Niffer: I have just been trying to phone my dentist today, as one of my back teeth has been hurting for weeks. It could just be a coincidence with the surgery, or I wonder if I am noticing it more since I have been off work and had a lot of time to think about my various aches and pains. There is nothing you can do but go to the dentist and have it checked out. Apart from using the sensitive toothpastes for a few days to see if that settles your sore gums down. All the best.
Unread 05-26-2008, 04:32 AM

Your teeth troubles could be from being intubated, this can make matters worse (tooth-wise) if you have a history of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease attacks the bone and tissue that supports and holds the teeth into the socket. With severe periodontal disease your teeth can actually become loose and move. Add this to a tube running down your throat....well you get the idea. Also other troubles have been reported with intubating, esp. in emergency situations where they have to put the tube down your throat quickly.. I have seen people with broken anterior teeth, cracked fillings, broken crowns, loose crowns etc. I would see a dentist ASAP an infection of any kind in the mouth is not a good idea anytime, esp. after a major surgery. This bacteria can travel to other parts of the body making you very sick.
I am a Registered Dental Hygienist
Unread 05-26-2008, 08:43 AM

I thought about calling the dentist because I do need to get a front tooth looked at anyway. I was on meds for UTI which helped. However, once that was done the pain came back. I guess I'll be calling tomorrow! Thanks for the info! Hugs! Jennifer
Unread 05-26-2008, 09:02 PM

you should call the dentist and get any damage documented. During the process of intubation the anesthesiologist uses a laryngoscope to look down your throat. If they aren't careful, they can cause dental damage. If you do have some damage AND the dentist believes it is related to the inbutation, call your hospital's Quality Management department and get it documented. They may be willing to cover any related dental bills
Unread 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM

I have a crown on one of my lower center teeth. It's been there for 12 years with no problems. I had an abscess there 10-12 days after surgery. I'm guessing it was from the tooth getting jostled with the intubation. (BTW, It went away with antibiotics and I'm at almost 5 months, now

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.