HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Dermabond - allergic reaction Dermabond - allergic reaction

Unread 06-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Dermabond - allergic reaction

Hi all..I haven't really utilized this wonderful network of sisters since I joined....and I actually came across this post by google searching Dermabond allergic reactions... I had my LAVH a week ago today...I came home from the hospital that next day..incisions seemed JUST fine..

Well..By Sunday around my navel incision seemed to be "leaking" or weeping . I thought it MIGHT be an allergic reaction to the glue, but since it wasn't on my other incisions..AND since I'd had the glue before..I wasn't convinced...

All seemed ok Monday...but by about 3 am Wed. morning (must be that charming hour for everyone ) I woke up and was itching like crazy..One look in the mirror and I was almost horrified. I had a HUGE welt around one of my incisions (I'm talking raised up..extending about 1inch from either end of the incision to 2 inches from the top and bottom of the incision)..my other one was almost as bad...and my belly button was just "yucky" and blistered looking.

It took all I could to keep from digging my own skin out too. I went to the Dr. later in the day to have her take a look.

I ended up being put on a VERY strong corticosteriod cream. And an antibiotic (though that was for a cuff infection and cellulitis)... She told me she has NEVER seen someone have an allergic reaction to Dermabond and to definitely make sure that is now on my Allery list.

She also told me that I was going to have to gently peel off the rest the dermabond so as not to have my skin still blistering underneath it ... THOUGH.. I OF COURSE DON'T RECOMMENT ANYONE TO DO THAT UNLESS THEIR DR. SAYS TO.

Odd note: like 3 am on fire..I too had no other allergies other than bee stings prior to this..and I have had SEVERAL surgeries.

I would think Fleurdelis..If your skin gets too red, raised or itching till you're about to make the surrounding tissue raw..I'd go to the ER..or maybe see if your Dr. Has any Nurse practitioners that are in that you may be able to have look at the sites

Best of Luck...
Unread 06-19-2008, 08:01 AM

My allergy involved large reds welts/circles around all 5 of my laproscopic inccisions, but I did not let it get to the point of blistering this time (I had blisters last year after an allergic reaction to a dressing adhesive following a post-mastectomy procedure). My reconstructive surgeon told me at that time that often a patient's skin becomes more sensitive with successive surgeries, and she prescribed a strong corticosteriodal cream for the rash, and also a Medrol dose pack (an oral prednisolone).

The day after I got home from the hospital this time around I was already itching so I cleaned away the thin layer of dermabond on my skin around (but not immediately over) the incisions. I waited a week before carefully peeling the remainder off along the lines of what you described, after unsuccessful attempts to get a call back from my surgeon's office. It took over 3 weeks of using the strong corticosteoid cream (fortunately I had refills available after my rash last fall) in order for my rash to clear to the point where I could stop applying the cream. I used ice packs the entire time (and for another week after) to dull the maddening itching.

I am happy to report that the rash is gone today (one month after my surgery). I hope that others do not suffer our fate, but if anyone has severe itching and redness at a site where a surgeon used Dermabond, I highly recommend contacting the doc for follow-up ASAP as my rash definitely would not have cleared without the prescription skin cream.
Unread 06-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Glad to hear that your rash is finally gone. Unfortunately, my welts are STILL here..grr. I have a follow up Wed. It was just amazing how it can come on so suddenly, or progress from weeping to blisters. OUCH.

I too hope others don't have to suffer our fate. It can drive you mad... (not to mention the physical ails that come with it.)

Have a great week. Again, I am happy to hear you are doing better now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.