HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sister Pregnant And Has  Stage 3 Cervical Cancer Sister Pregnant And Has Stage 3 Cervical Cancer

Unread 05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Sister Pregnant And Has Stage 3 Cervical Cancer

Everyone My Sis-in Law Is 6 Months Pregnant And Just Found Out She Has Stage 3 Cervical Cancer. She Has Had A Extremely Rough Pregnancy. Her First Pregnancy Was 5 Years Ago And She Lost 78 Lbs And Had Preeclampsia, Preterm Labor, Her Son Had A Spot On His Heart, When She Had Him She Tore From Front To Back. Her Second Preg. Resulted In Miscarraige At 6 Weeks Back In September 2007. This Time She Has Had A Zofran Pump For The 1st 3 Months And Has Lost 50 Lbs From Being Sick She Is A Single Mother Again, And Had A Abnormal Pap At 2 Months The Dr Did Not Tell Her About It. She Had An Abnormal Afp Levels And They Said This Baby Boy Possibly Has Spina Bifida Or Down Syndrome. U/s Determined Baby Was Fine, But Her New Ob Was Reviewing Her Charts And Asked Her About Abnormal Pap, She Had No Idea About It And The New Ob Said Her Cervical Cancer Was A Level 3. How Could Her Old Ob Not Tell Her About Her Having Cancer? They Are Gonna Scrap Her In July When She Is 7 Months Pregnant And If All Goes Well She Is Having A Schedule C-section On Oct 1st With A Total Hysterectomy On The Same Day. So Everyone Please Pray For My Sis-in- Law.
Unread 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM

Done ...How sad such a happy time with a dark cloud I pray her delivery goes fine ,the cancer is gone and she can go with her life and enjoy her baby...sending prayers

much love

VS
Unread 05-29-2008, 02:44 PM

I will pray for your sister in law. I just wanted to say that I know this scenario all too well. I was dx with cc just after my baby was born so I did have the cancer during my pregnancy and no one knew. I think it's so wrong that after having paps and numerous tests done that some Dr.s can't figure out someone has cancer. How do they know it's stage 3? Just wondering. Usually a cone or leep can make a definite dx.
I truly hope she will come out of this fine and may angels watch over her and her baby.
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:20 PM

YOur sister in law and her baby are in my thoughts and prayers!
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks Everone rincess:
Unread 05-30-2008, 12:45 PM

prayers for your sister in law
she should contact "Pregnant with Cancer", they are a helpful group and can offer support and information.

just to let you know I had cc during my pregnancy and went through chemo during my pregancy. Your sister should see a onc/gyn about her cervical cancer. I suspect if they are talking about "scraping" she is cin3, which is serious but not full blown cancer (usually cannot diagnose that w/o conebiopsy and/or mri).

But no matter what she should be consulting with a gyn/onc as well as her ob. My drs talked monthly during my treatments/pregnancy.

I had my c-section then hysterectomy-done by my gyn/onc. They joked that the ob had the easy part-10 minute surgery while the gyn/onc had the tough 5.5 hour surgery.

please feel free to pmail me if she needs someone to talk with.
Unread 05-30-2008, 12:51 PM

Okay Thank You Very Much For The Thoughts And Prayers I Will Tell Her About It!!!!! rincess:
Unread 06-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Are you certain that it is a stage 3 cancer? That's nearly impossible to diagnose without surgery and biopsies. Has your SIL had biopsies?

Pap smears don't diagnose cancer stages. They aren't even very good at finding cancer. The PAP smear finds pre cancers, usually long before it becomes cancer, when it can be treated fairly easily.

Might your sister in law have a cervical dysplasia, at stage CIN3, rather than a cancer, stage 3? PAP smears do find these dysplasia cells, which can usually be removed without a hysterectomy. This website explains it far better than I:
http://www.gynalternatives.com/cervical.htm

A PAP smear that came back as a CIN1 is usually ignored and retested in 3 to 6 months. They often reverse themselves. So it wouldn't be terribly unusual for your SIL's doctor to take a 'wait and see' attitude rather than alarming her about something that is likely to go away without any treatment. Remember, it is NOT cancer, but abnormal cells on the cervix.

If you SIL is found to have cancer, please encourage her to see a gyn/oncologist and have him/her at her delivery and hysterectomy. Gyn/oncologists are the experts in cancer and will know what to look for during her surgery, what to sample for biopsy, etc.

Here's hoping that your SIL does NOT have cancer but has dysplasia that can be treated.

Janie
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing as Jane. Are you sure it's not CIN 3 which is pre-cancer? I have never heard of a pap diagnosing stage 3 cancer.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.