HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What do I need to bring to the hospital? What do I need to bring to the hospital?

Unread 05-30-2008, 11:56 PM
What do I need to bring to the hospital?

I am having surgery Monday. I am having a cystocele repair and a vaginal hysterectomy. They are planning on leaving the ovaries. My doctor also said she would laparoscopically take a look at my ovaries to make sure they are okay because of right sided pain so there is a possibility the right ovary could go too. I am having this done because of cystocele and the uterus is starting to prolapse as well. I have not had children (I am 36). I just wanted to give a little background, so I do not have the experience with some of these issues that people have that have had deliveries and other pelvic surgeries.

Anyway, what do I need to take with me to the hospital? I saw people recommended chapstick. Also do I need an abdominal binder with a vaginal hysterectomy? Sorry to sound dumb here but do you need pads, do you have oozing/bleeding from the vagina? Thanks for any info you can give me.
Unread 05-31-2008, 05:59 AM

Hi. Yes, chapstick and hand lotion were my mostly used items. I also took some gum because I heard chewing it helps get the digestive juices going. I took pads with me and didn't need them. I had a LAVH and had very light spotting for two days and a panty liner was all I needed. Everyone is different though. The hospital should supply you with something, but they're usually big and bulky. It's nice to have your own things. As for the belly band, I can't help you there. I have some swelling throughout the day, but it's not too bothersome. From what I've been reading here, it seems the ladies with an ab incisions benefit more with that support. Oh, one more thing, pen and pad of paper was nice to have. Brain is kind of foggy sometimes and it's nice to jot things down.
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:14 AM

I found that I liked my mint flavored lip gloss WAY better then chapstick! The stuff I have from Bath & Body is so yummy!

The pain meds will make you very very thirsty, so gum and hard candies were my hero....

I had a LAVH and I only had a tiny bit of wipe & go spotting from recovery and I didn't need any protection after that....but everyone is different!

I brought magazines and a book, that I never touched...but I did use my phone for LOTS of texting

ALSO....I brought one of those eye covers for sleeping....my daughter had one from Xmas that said "Princess sleeping" ...so I brought that and it was SO VALUABLE for resting! (wished I had earplugs!)

AND bring some cash.....1) so you can pay for your TV and 2) so you can send someone to the giftshop for coffee or diet pepsi or snacks!

Breath deep...you will be JUST fine!!!
XOXOXOXO
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:17 AM

You can find a list of suggestions of what to take to the hospital here:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96849.htm
I took a lot more that i actually used when I had my hyst. I did use my chapstick, comb, toothbrush, robe ( to come home in ), my own bed pillow ( don't like skimpy ones ) and ear plugs - they were really helpful for all the hospital noises.

You might like to check out the article and Checkpoints - they have a great wealth of info and suggestions that are really helpful for both pre and post op.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pre.htm ( Pre-op )
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pst.htm ( post-op )

Best wishes.

S
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:05 AM

{{{myrarose}}}

Prayers to you for a successful surgery and a fast, pain free recovery. Looking forward to reading how well you are dong post-op.

Your are almost done!!!!

Take good care and Blessings,
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:28 AM

Hi myrarose,
You almost done!! I have not had my surgery yet, so I am still trying to see what I need to take with me. Good luck wih your surgery. I look forward to reading how you are doing.
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:33 AM

I took a lot of stuff, but only used chapstick, deoderant, Oil of Olay facial cloths, moisturizer and lotion. I also took gum and some hard candy to suck on. I took shampoo and stuff but just did the sponge bath thing until I came home. I wish tried to take a shower before I left because they have all those handles and stuff to hang onto in the shower! I had a TAH.
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:45 AM

Take a few toiletries like toothbrush and paste, deodorant, lip balm and lotion. I took a robe and slippers for walking the halls. I never used my own nightgown or pads. I used my cell phone to text my family a lot. I also took magazines and books and never cracked them. My family brought me the paper everyday. I also brought bigger panties to wear home.

Oh! I brought my own pillow from home, and that really helped me. The pillows at the hospital were not very comfortable.

I had a TAH/BSO. Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:55 AM

I had the same type of surgery you'll be having. I took several things to the hospital that I never used. I did use chapstick since I didn't wear any makeup while I was there. I brought a book to read, but never even took it out of my bag because I spent most of my time sleeping after my surgery. I did use my robe so I could walk the halls the next morning and I used my toothbrush and toothpaste. I had my cell phone, but only used it a few times the day after surgery since my family came to the hospital to visit. The hospital supplied the pads, but as was stated in an earlier post, you may want to bring your own so you don't have to wear the big bulky ones. I hope this helps. Also, the hospital will have most, if not all, of whatever you'll need.
Unread 05-31-2008, 10:57 AM

The items I felt most useful were;

My own feather pillow and pillowcase

A notebook for me or hubby to write what the doc says and types of meds I am taking and funny things I said and anything else as the drugs made me so loopy I didn't remember much at all

Blistex for my lips

Slip on footwear

Toothbrush and toothpaste and facial wipes

A watch as I had not idea of time

EAR PLUGS were my best friend!

Myrarose ... I wish you a gentle recovery and remember to be good to YOU!

Hugs,
Tracy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.