HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Combipatch Question Combipatch Question

Unread 05-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Combipatch Question

Help please. Does anyone know why you can not take the Combipatch if you do NOT have a uterus? I have seizures, and the market testing has shown that progesterone helps counter act the estrogen. Combipatch is the only patch that I know of available with progesterone; the other patches have the synthetic hormone. But I no longer have a uterus. Any help would be appreciated.
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Combipatch Question

Hi!

Women who don't have a uterus can still use progesterone or synthetic progestin. Many of us do very well post-op with the addition of progesterone to our estrogen. Some don't do well on it at all. It's an individual thing. Some doctors say that without the uterus progesterone isn't needed but that's not the same as saying it shouldn't ever be used after the uterus has been removed. I think the confusion comes because women who still have a uterus shouldn't use estrogen without also using progesterone and from that the leap is taken that women without a uterus don't need progesterone. Many women (including me!) would disagree.

Combipatch is a combination of estradiol (a bio-identical estrogen) and norethindrone acetate (a progestin which is not bio-identical progesterone). I don't know of a combination patch that is totally bio-identical. If you want to use all bio-identical hormones, you need to ask your doctor about separate prescriptions for your estrogen and progesterone. Bio-identical progesterone can come in pill form (Prometrium) from the regular pharmacy or another options is to get it in cream form either over the counter if you're careful to get one that is USP progesterone (like the one sold in the Hyster Sisters store). It can be purchased, with a prescription, at a compounding pharmacy, too.

Discuss your options with your doctor and hopefully you'll come up with the right combination for your circumstances.

I hope this helps!

s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.