HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Is sex different for your partner after a hysterectomy? Is sex different for your partner after a hysterectomy?

Unread 05-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Is sex different for your partner after a hysterectomy?

Hi there.
Surgery in two more days and all of a sudden a male friends alerts me to the fact (in his experience) that sex IS different for a man and a woman afterwards, in other simpler words, it feels different for the man also.
Anyone have a real trustworthy hubby/partner that is willing to be absolutely truthful and answer this question?
HELP!! Surgery is at 7 a.m. Monday and I can ask the dr. if the tumor alone can be removed, and the benefits/advantages, etc. but I'm curious what all you helpful kind people think of this questions!!
Thanks so much for sharing!
BG
Unread 05-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Hi!

Answers on this are going to vary. Neither my husband nor I notice any difference in how it feels other than it's nice for me not to have my prolapsing cervix bumped anymore. If you or your partner enjoy that sensation, it obviously isn't going to feel the same if your cervix is removed.

There can be differences as far as the vagina is concerned if you are having repair work done. Sometimes the vagina is tightened but when fully healed it should be elastic and stretchable as before surgery. Some women experience more dryness which can be dealt with by using a personal lubricant or with vaginal estrogen in the case of vaginal dryness/atrophy caused by a lack of estrogen in those tissues. You shouldn't notice any change as far as the length of the vagina, either. Here's a good article to read that explains: Vagina - Hysterectomy Make it Shorter?.

If you're a candidate for surgery less than a hysterectomy, that's great! Definitely discuss your concerns with your doctor.

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:07 PM

Awesome. I knew you wouldn't let me down. Thanks for your answer. BG
Unread 05-31-2008, 06:14 PM

Neither I nor DH have experienced any difference in sensation. The only difference I, myself, have is prior to surgery I would have a prolonged pulsation of the uterus after orgasm. Obviously, without a uterus, that's gone, but I also have orgasms easier because there is no pain. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 05-31-2008, 08:49 PM

My partner has noticed a difference, but that difference is that I am enjoying myself more now
Physically, he hasn't noticed any difference at all.

Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2008, 09:19 PM

The prevailing reason for you to have this surgery should be your health. You should have the least invasive surgery possible, too.

By "tumor" I assume you're talking about a fibroid? Yes, it's possible to only remove the fibroid (the procedure is called myomectomy) but of course it's possible that there will be more found or that it won't be possible to perform a myomectomy when it's time for surgery. In addition, it is possible for fibroids to regrow -- but of course even if they regrow, they may not produce any symptoms.

As for your intimate life, again, I say this -- you should have whiever surgery is best for your overall health. Most report that their post-op intimate lives are as good (or better) than before surgery. Some say their sex lives are diminished. But I don't really think that you'll "feel" any different. (I don't know how else to describe it.) And even if you do, it's something to which your partner will be able to adjust because you'll have your health back.

As for me, my dh isn't any more or less sensitive than anyone else, and he's never mentioned that anything is different for him since my surgery. He couldn't tell I had a cervix before and can't tell it's missing now -- and neither can I.
Unread 05-31-2008, 09:34 PM

I had my a full hysterectomy done in mid Oct, so I am 7 1/2 months post op. And I like the article mentions, have said to my husband everytime, either he is too big now for me or they made me smaller. It is getting less painful and more enjoyable, but I have to still watch the penetration. So for me, I am still having issues, my husband said he doesn't notice it feeling any different, other than I am guarded and can't let him go all the way in.
Unread 06-01-2008, 08:04 AM

I still have my cervix, so nothing in the vagina has changed.
Unread 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Well my hubby loves for me to tell him that his is bigger now! Thats his best part/
Unread 06-01-2008, 04:18 PM

No change for him except the positive one of my not bleeding all the time!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.