HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Do I need progesterone? Do I need progesterone?

Unread 06-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Do I need progesterone?

Hi ,
I noticed that some of you don't have your ovaries yet you are taking progesterone. My doctor didn't see the need for Progesterone as I don't have a uterus.

I have only been on HRT for 10 days and am trying to sort out what I need, how much, how often - you know the drill........

Anyway, I am taking a Tri-est cream (2.5 mg/ML) and a testosterone cream and some of the symptom are improving slightly. Just curious if I should ask about progesterone. Thanks.
Unread 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Do I need progesterone?

Hi!

I split your reply from a thread in the Hormone Jungle and moved it here to the Hormone and Menopause Central message board. I think you'll get the best support in this forum while you're still recovering from surgery and adjusting to hormone therapy.

There are definitely doctors who believe once the uterus is removed progesterone isn't needed. I think that's because progesterone is necessary for anyone who has a uterus and is using estrogen. Using estrogen unopposed can increase the risk of uterine cancer. Without the uterus progesterone doesn't have to be used but many of us find we feel better with it than without--regardless of what the doctors say.

We're not all the same when it comes to hormone therapy needs. Some women do very well on estrogen alone. Some need estrogen along with progesterone and/or testosterone. Usually we start out on estrogen only and work to get as balanced as possible on it before adding in additional hormones. It's easier to work with just one hormone at a time because symptoms of too little or too much can overlap, making it hard to figure out which hormone needs to be adjusted. It helps to keep a journal during this process so you can see how you're doing over a period of time. That beats trying to remember how you felt on any given day. This link is good to refer to: Too Much/Too Little.

There are some good articles about progesterone, as well as other hormone topics, in this link: Hormone Jungle.

I hope this helps!

s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.