HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

So constipated, fecal impaction/enema, help some ?'s So constipated, fecal impaction/enema, help some ?'s

Unread 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM
So constipated, fecal impaction/enema, help some ?'s

Hi all I just had my surg May 28th. My first time returning to computer land & I'm sooo tired & hurtin!

I took the drugs in hospital for pain and found myself constipated and with a fecal impaction last nite - even after drinking lots of fluids. Today I saw my doc and he suggested a home enema. I got home slept as I only got 3 hrs sleep, then did the enema. I had a bit of success.

I am wondering if anyone else has had to do this and if so was it more than once (that day or next day?) I forgot to ask my doc when I should expect another bowel movement. Also I am taking colase (softener) I wonder if I still should or what experience anyone has had.

Thanks - this is just really sucking so bad especially after this kinda operation!
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:33 PM

Hi guitara
I'm sorry you're suffering with the constipation. I didn't have an impaction but struggled some to get my bowels moving. I finally was able to go on day five, but it took quite a bit of effort.

I took stool softeners from day one in the hospital for a couple of months at least. My dr told me not to worry about taking them and I didn't have any problems when I quit. The stool softener alone wasn't enough to get me going. They aren't a laxative, they just make it less painful by keeping the stool soft. I found I needed to be sure to eat lots of fiber plus drink my water.

I would continue with the stool softner and try to up your fiber intake. I drank prune juice and ate granola until everything was moving without so much effort and pain. Right at first many women have a struggle. I hope this won't be an ongoing problem for you. Keep us posted on how you do.
's, Rita
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM

Hello Guitara

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have been at the colo-rectal Dr many times over the last year for an anal fissure repair and hemorrhoids. Believe it or not all of this was brought on in 2000 by another sugery on my shoulder which I took a lot of pain medication for. Soooo I asked the Dr what to do to avoid a reoccurance of problems from pain medication. She said, drink lots and lots and lots of water, eat fiber, take colace. She emphasized the water several times. She said take 200 mg colace twice a day, or if needed 3 times a day - the only thing that would happen is that you would have a very "loose" BM then you would know you took too much and back off on the Colace dosage. Try another home enema tomorrow if this one did not get things moving along. In the hospital that also gave me Senecot a mild laxative. My best advice from previous problems is to stay on top of it. I find eating mini-wheats or Kashi (some kind of high fiber but tastes great) cereal first thing in the AM sets the day off right. It seems like such an "old people" problem - this talking about bowels, but it sure can make you uncomfortable. Sorry if too much info - good luck.
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:58 AM

Hi Guitara;

I know how frustrating that can be I cried many times in the bathroom because I wanted to go so bad and just couldnt

I did take colace 2 pills each morning, I took it for about 6 weeks, plus drank lots of water, and took fiber all everyday, those two helped lots.....

hang in there, it does get better, and eventually, you get normal again.....
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Oh thank you everyone from the botton of my heart!!! I am so grateful for your responses and the details are pricesless at this point It was so horrible & I was so sore & tired from everything being less than a week post - finally got some sleep last nite. I only ate a few grapes & pineapple yesterday & drank fruit juice & then I had some broth & I kept throwing up. I am hoping to have a better experience today.

Do you guys make sure you poop everyday?

thank you I would buy you all spa days if I could!
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:58 PM

I will take you on that offer thanks...ha, ha

I did not use to go everyday, but I didnt either before surgery...do what your body is used to...just dont let it pile up...I would go every other day to be on the sure side....

be praying for you sweetie, hang in there
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:07 PM

Hi-I was about 3 weeks post op and was severely constipated even though I was still taking the stool softeners everyday. I sent one of my family members to get a fleet enema for me just to get relief. I continued to take the softeners until I went for my 6 week check up. I also drank a lot of water, walked and added prunes to my diet. That seemed to help. Even up until 1 week ago I would have some difficulty and have been using Miralax a couple of times a week to keep things moving. If you are concerned however, you should call your doctor Good luck and hope everything is better soon.
Unread 06-04-2008, 07:45 PM

Colace is a stool softener...so you end up with a colon full of soft stool...no good. Senokot-S is a mixture of a stool softener and a natural vegetable laxative. You titrate it according to your Bowel movements. Start with one a day, if you need more help twice a day. Depending upon the amount of opiod narcotic used you can get up to 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM. (That would give me diarrhea) ALL of the MDs should tell everyone taking opiod pain killers that you also need to start on an agressive bowel regime. Heck, the constipation can make your pain worse.
Good Luck!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.