HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

No Motrin or Aleve before surgery!?!?  Help! No Motrin or Aleve before surgery!?!? Help!

Unread 06-05-2008, 03:17 PM
No Motrin or Aleve before surgery!?!? Help!

I got the pre-op package from my surgeon's office in the mail today, and instead of reassuring me, it's managed to stress me out more! It says that for ten days prior to surgery, I can't take any medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a problem for me, but my period is late this cycle (I think my uterus knows about its eviction notice) and is likely to start sometime within the ten days before surgery.

My menstrual cramps are horrific. Terrible. Agonizing. Torturous. With regular acupuncture treatments and 600 mg of Motrin as soon as the bleeding starts, I spend only about a day at <a href="http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97119.htm">five or six on Andrea Mankowski's pain scale</a>. Without Motrin? Honestly, I'm scared to even contemplate it. On the bright side, I'll be reminded of exactly why it is I want my uterus gone, but... I'm in tears just thinking about how much pain I'm going to be in.

I called my doctor's office, and they said Tylenol would be okay, but believe me, over-the-counter Tylenol is not capable of even relieving my menstrual pain. Most OTC drugs aren't. Except for the ones I can't have. I'm hoping the doctor will call me back and prescribe something useful, because otherwise it's going to be a miserable and excruciating few days.

Anyone else been in this boat? How did you get through it?
Unread 06-05-2008, 04:00 PM

try not to worry, I am sure that your doctor will prescribe something that you can take in the meantime...just have tylenol handy.....I am pretty sure there are other sisters that have had to take pain killers before surgery, so they can share their story with you....hang in there hon

will have you in our prayers.....
Unread 06-05-2008, 04:05 PM

if your dr doesnt call you in a pain killer, you might want to ask him for the 800mg of tylenol. it might not work perfectly but it should do something. good luck with everything.
Unread 06-05-2008, 05:48 PM

Serious:

1st - Love the eviction thing - very appropriate.

I too, have been told no NSAIDS or aspirin 2 weeks before surgery (they thin the blood) and yes - I'll be starting what will be my FINAL period at exactly that time. My cramps and pain (for me two separate things) are tremendous. That's coming from someone who passed 3 Kidney stones - 1 without pain killers and 1 while - YES WHILE I had pneumonia. My Dr. said to try my next cycle without them - and if it gets bad she will get me something else. I'm gonna get some from my Doc before my next cycle whether I need them or not - I do not need the extra worry, fear, anticipation, etc. I'd just as soon be prepared. The one thing I know - women tend not to complain or ask for things - EVEN WHEN WE REALLY NEED THEM. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so keep squeaking at your DOC till he gives you some good meds.

You know - the funny thing is - my last period wasn't that bad - but yesterday's & todays ovulation was HORRIBLE (just a reminder of why I'm doing all this) and I don't know about you - but the stress and pressure that I put on myself just knowing that I'm fixing to have a period is extreme to be mild. Keep fighting and asking, you are your best advocate.

Blessings and good wishes
TANK
Unread 06-05-2008, 06:46 PM

You might want to ask your DR. I am on Lortab as needed for my endo pain and the pre op nurse said I could even take it the day of the surgery if I felt I needed to. Do you have a heating pad? Sometimes they can be relieving too.
Unread 06-05-2008, 07:03 PM

I had a TAH 17 months ago. I did not have real bad cramps but I DO have very bad arthritis. Like yourself I could not take Aleve. I had to take Tylenol. For me taking Tylenol is like taking a placebo. I took it easy 10 days before my surgery and I DID make it. Hang it there and good luck to you.
Unread 06-05-2008, 08:19 PM

I agree with the other ladies. Your Dr should be able to find a pain killer for you.

I too, was told no aspirin and no alcohol two weeks prior. I am in the wine biz.....no wine for two weeks prior was tough as I taste as many as 30 wines a day. But, I did it, even though it meant having pomegranate juice at my pre-op party while all of my guests drank my wines!!! Including French Champagnes! OUCH!

Your Dr. should be able to give you something that is allowed.

The reason they tell us no aspirin, no alcohol is that they are blood thinners. Most here will never have been told the alcohol *thang* but in my biz, my Dr. had to tell me no there too. Good thing that she was paying attention.
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM

I was told I could take advil until two days before, and just no alcohol the day before. I guess every Dr is different. Hmmmm makes me wonder about my pre op party Saturday night now.
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:15 PM

I have horrible pain, too. I used to take a combo of tylenol & ibuprofen that took the edge off the pain. Of course, if I start my period before the surgery, then I won't be able to take the ibuprofen.

I've had several periods where I just didn't bother taking pain meds because they didn't work that well anyway. I'd go to bed w/ 2 heating pads (one for front, one for back). I discovered that pain ebbs & flows - hurts unbelievably bad, hurts a little less than unbelievably bad. I found myself riding on the waves of pain, sometimes at the peak, sometimes in the valley. I would focus on the pain, try to locate my evil uterus thru the pain. In my head I would try to describe the pain to myself. I would observe how intense the pain was, then notice when it eased off a bit.
I would focus on breathing. Breathing in deep, making my abdomen expand, breathing out deep, w/ my mouth in an O shape, making my stomach as flat as possible while I was exhaling. I would notice how the air felt going in my nose, how I'd open my mouth to get a deep breath, etc, etc.

It may sound really odd to focus on the pain, but noticing/observing & then descibing the pain, or focusing on the breathing, was a fairly decent form of distraction.

Another form of distraction would be to also incorporate imagining a happy, sunny place, maybe try to "hear" the sound of water lapping on the shore or the sound of water in a stream bed, gurggling along it's path of rocks, etc.

Distracting myself in this way was similar to breathing during childbirth. Sometimes, when your breathing stays on top of the contraction made it seem like it hurt less.

I don't think I could explain this in any other way, but I hope you find these distration suggestions helpful.
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:45 AM

I haven't had my pro-op yet. I have it 6/9, but I have heard the same thing about not taking meds for a few weeks before surgery. Good luck with your surgery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.