HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what is general anesthesia like? what is general anesthesia like?

Unread 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
what is general anesthesia like?

So, my surgery is scheduled for next week, and I'm starting to freak out a little bit about general anesthesia. I've never gone under a general anesthetic before, and I'm pretty phobic about it. I'm trying to prepare myself for what to expect, so I've been asking everybody I know about their experiences, both with going under and waking up. Eventually it occurred to me that I should ask the ladies here.

So, for the ladies that have had their hysterectomies (or any other operation involving general anesthetic), what was it like going under? And more importantly, what was it like waking up?
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM

It's just like falling a sleep and waking up. I have done it twice. Very easy. This time, I was asleep before we hit the elevator on the way to surgery. I woke up in recovery as I would have waking up from a restful nights sleep. The only difference was that a friendly young man was there and asking if I wanted some ice chips. LOL!
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:04 PM

I think it feels so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like an out of body experience??????????????????????????idk kinda really like a really good nites sleep
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM

I've had general anesthesia several times (as recently as 1.5 months ago when I had my cone biopsy). I was given something to calm me down before they wheeled me into the operating room. I remember trying to move from the gernie (sp?) to the table, but that's all I remember.

Other surgeries I remember settling down on the table, counting backwards (only counted about 3 or 4 numbers). Other surgeries, I only remember being wheeled down the hall. That's all.

The next thing I remember is being in post op.

I hope all goes well for you!
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:12 PM

i referred to my anesthesiologist as the 'bartender', so i asked him if he had a mai-tai for me! within a few minutes, i quickly felt really 'fuzzy' (kind of like the out-of-body experience) ... i told him 'wasn't expecting a double!' everyone laughed, he and my doc started talking to me about random stuff, for a minute or two, then i woke up with the 'ice chip' guy! it seemed like i was asleep for 2 minutes! good luck to you
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:31 PM

Hi, My TVH is Thursday and I am terrified of the anasthesia. Like you, I've never gone under before. This is really the only part that I am feeling nervous about. Good luck!
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:34 PM

Had it back in 1996 when I had colon surgery. All I remember was counting and then nothing until I woke up feeling nauseus.(sp?) They gave me something for it and then wheeled me up to my room.

Hope all goes well!
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:42 PM

The last time I had surgery I didn't have the ice chip guy, I had the nurse with pain meds and anti-nausea meds! :happydance: She did get ice chips for me later, but the meds were what I wanted at the time!
Unread 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM

So long as you follow all your instructions carefully in terms of food, drink, etc. beforehand, you should expect nothing more than what's described above--one minute you are here, the next minute you are finished! It really is that easy and simple! I too have a great fear of "going under" even though I've gone under already a few times. However, I've never had complications beyond problems with my lung when I used to be a smoker years ago.
Unread 06-09-2008, 11:11 PM

I was afraid too as this was my first experience of having a general. It's not really like going to sleep - it's quicker than that. One minute you're awake and then next you're awake again without even having realised you've gone to sleep in the first place LOL If I'd known how easy it was beforehand, I certainly wouldn't have stressed about it

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway