Serous drainage (seroma) from incision | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Serous drainage (seroma) from incision Serous drainage (seroma) from incision

Unread 06-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Serous drainage (seroma) from incision

During my stay at the hospital my incision came open just the tiniest bit. They put steri-strips on it and I have had to dress it several times a day. However, last night it started gushing out serous drainage. I went through 4 4x4's , 2 surgical dressings, 4 washclothes, and 1 hand towel. My husband took me to the Emergency room where they told me they think i have a seroma ( a build up of fluid behind the incision) they also felt I had an infection in part of it although I have run no temperature and have felt pretty darned good for being just a week post op..... I have to go and see my doctor tomorrow who's nurse told me they will either put another stitch in it....or.....pack it......YIKES.....neither sounds like a great time..anyone else have this trouble?? how painful was it?? I am so ready to just feel great!

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2008, 10:05 PM

I have had problems w/ my incision, but not to your extent I don't think. I have had a part that came open at the top and is still draining and closing. I saw one of my dr.s and they treated it w/ silver nitrate and it is still draining. I constantly wear a gauze pad and change it at least 7 times a day. A stitch doesn't sound that bad, that would probably make it heal faster.....either way, it shouldn't be painful. Good luck
Unread 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Hi,
I am so sorry this has happened to you. It happened to me a week out. My incision opened up and left a 9 cm hole that had to be packed twice a day for 8 weeks by a home health nurse. I also had to see my Dr weekly to make sure there was no infection.
Having the area packed really didn't hurt. It does feel a little strange when they remove the packing though.
Please take care of yourself. This can be very dangerous if infection gets in the wound.
Good luck.
Melanie
Best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Hi;

I had problems with my incision aswell its not fun, and it takes lots of patience, but eventually it does close and you get your life back

let us know how your doctors visit went today....
Unread 06-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Ok, my husband thinks I am just being irrational about this whole deal.....this is what happened today.....

I called my surgeon yesterday, had to leave a page for him since the ER doctor said I needed to be seen on Monday. He didn't return my call. I ended up talking to his nurse who made an appointment for me today (tuesday). Yesterday I still had drainage.....although as the day progressed it got to be less saturation..had to get up 2 time last night and change it as it was still draining...This morning, very little drainage.....by noon.....no drainage at all...NO DRAINAGE when I saw the doctor. He says..the opening is very very small...so doesn't think anything is necessary to be done..I am like GREAT!!!! it is all done...won't have it happen again.....he doesn't want to see me for 4 more weeks...LIFE IS GREAT!!!! right???

WRONG...I get home....decide to go shopping after dropping off my husband......He gets out of the car..I slide in.....and all of the sudden I feel my pants are wet and there is stuff flowing down my calves.......I get back out and my pants are drenched...dripping from the bottom.......I was like "what the heck"???? then it hits me...it has drained again.........and drained it did...my pants were drenched...my panties...my pad........Leaned over to take off my pants and panties and it started spurting onto the floor nice little lake formed around me..ok so not lake but most assuredly a pond........went through 2 surgical pads...they were drenched and dripping......finally decided to try what someone else had suggested here...the old maxi pad thing on the panties......went through 1 of them...now is just draining a tiny bit......I called his office.....not call back within an hour so called again.....Talked with his nurse about it..she said she would call him..and either she would call back or he would.....Well she called back..and said..he didn't know what to say...these things happen....and that it would continue to happen until it was filled in....I could either put up with it....or he could take me back to surgery, reopen the wound and re-sew me back up........I asked about packing or wicking but she said she didn't know why he didn't want to do that..that this was my 2 options..... I told her that neither were acceptable... I KNOW if it were him having this..he would NOT tolerate such a thing.....Ohh the nurse also told me to sit more and just hold a towel to the area just in case it opens up again....like I am going to do that for another 4-6 weeks....I thought the whole thing after surgery was about getting back up and around and recovered????. My husband says I am just being unreasonable...that if it happens to open up when I am out shopping etc...then so what/???? Yeah? like he would stand by me if that one happened...he would be even more mortified than I am about it!!....

i know that i am stuck going to this surgeon...that no other doctor will take over since they didn't do the work.....but I don't know what else to do......am I truly being unreasonable???? I have read here where this truly can go on for weeks ...I can't imagine it.......Please, if i am truly being unreasonable...tell me......I know that I am thinking with emotion at this moment...but it just doesn't seem right to me.......

can anyone give me direction?

Unread 06-17-2008, 05:43 PM

I should add...that I did tell the nurse that i would give it one more week...and I would write down when it drained and how much...and if there wasn't any slowing that he would have to consider a different option........ She thought it was a good idea as well......

Unread 06-17-2008, 06:53 PM

Woe!! what an ordeal just when you thought all was clear.....uhhhh.....I dont think you are being unreasonable hon...I understand how you are feeling.....apparently when the doctor saw it, the whole was very small, do you see the whole? did it get larger or is it the same? its amazing how all that liquid came out from that tiny whole

I think that what you are doing is the right thing, give it a week and write down how often and how much is coming out....remember that we heal from the inside out, so we will pray that the whole gets somewhat healed soon enough to stop the drainage and then continue to heal until the skin gets to the top.

I am not a doctor, but I think that since the whole is so small, packing is not necessary(probable a 4x4 gauze pad would not fit in it), try to calm down hon, and take deep breaths, can you just really take it easy, like laying down when possible, resting in bed, give it a few days see if the whole gets a little filled so that the drainage stops.....give it a shot before even the thought of going back to OR or even packing (heard is not fun).
blessings being sent and lots of and
Unread 06-17-2008, 07:34 PM

thank you for your kind thoughts......i truly do appreciate them........i do not want to go through the whole surgery thing.....that is not an option...guess I am going to have to just be patient....Thank you again.......
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:28 PM

I will be praying for you incision to heal and close
hang in there, it will soon be over....
Unread 06-18-2008, 06:53 AM

Hi,
I was thinking about you and wondering how your appt went. Being that I have gone through this ordeal myself I know how scary it is.
I don't understand why your Dr is brushing this aside?? I don't mean to frighten you and make you more upset, but if your opened incision area were to get infected it could be very dangerous.
It sounds to me by the description of the last 'leakage' the opening of the incision has gotten larger.
Did your Dr take any measurements of the opening?
Please call your Dr and ask him to examine the area again.
Best of luck to you!
Melanie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register