HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long to schedule? How long to schedule?

Unread 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
How long to schedule?

I go to my doc tomorrow to schedule my hyst. I am nervous , and nothing even is really happening yet, just a quick check up and then the scheduling.

I am trying to get a grip on when this could actually happen, so was wondering if people could give me a rough timeline of how long it was between actually scheduling the surgery to getting in and having it done. I understand that all doctor's timelines are different, just looking to get an idea of what a reasonable average is.
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:55 PM
How long to schedule?

Let's see, I called last Monday (9th) to schedule, 10th was a preop visit w/ OBGYN, yesterday was my preop with the hospital and I have an LSH on the 20th - my doctor wanted to schedule for last Friday (13th) but he was already booked (he schedules surgeries on Fridays). According to him, the longer the wait, the worse your nerves get, especially for hysterectomies...I agree. So it could be as short as a few days, but as long as several months depending on the hospital and surgeon. Oh, and insurance! My SIL had to jump through a LOT of hoops with her insurance. Fortunately, (or unfortunately) my condition is costing my PPO so much that they gratefully approved the surgery.

ETA: However, I think I am on the low end of the waiting process. I'd say a month is close to average.
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM
How long to schedule?

Thank you. I know it shouldn't be too much of a hassle with my insurance, as they deem it necessary, and would rather spend the money all at once, instead of multiple smaller procedures, just to do the hyst anyways.

My doctor is pretty speedy about scheduling things like this, so that helps.
Unread 06-17-2008, 03:24 PM
How long to schedule?

my dr's first available surgery date was 8 weeks from my appt. i did get moved up a week and ended up having my surgery 7 weeks after i saw him.
Unread 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
How long to schedule?

Just depends on the doctor's schedule. I only waited a couple of weeks.
Unread 06-17-2008, 04:20 PM
How long to schedule?

I had a consultation with the gynecological surgeon on 6/9. At that point, since I has seen 2 other doctors before, I was pretty sure she was going to recommend hysterectomy too. She did, and surgery is scheduled on 6/24. I am glad I only had a short wait, since my nerves are a mess already.

Hope all goes well tomorrow!
Unread 06-17-2008, 04:26 PM
How long to schedule?

I had a visit in May (woke one morning to huge lump, fibroid thankfully). Dr scheduled US for next 'period' but was on vacation that week so ended up with that being early July and then Dr wanted 1 lupron injection pre-op so that was early August with Surgery in September.

The funny thing is, I wasn't nervous that whole time. At first I was and then I was ok until I was scheduling my pre-op.

I am sure your timeline will be far quicker.

Julie
Unread 06-17-2008, 04:51 PM
How long to schedule?

I don't have a date yet. Have a appt. on the 27th of this month to see the gyno/surgeon, along with having another US. I think he'll be going over the results with me the same day. Probably decide about hysterectomy that day as well, since last time I was at the office I didn't give the PA I saw a definate answer on doing the hyster. or not.
Then there's having the dr. getting it approved by our Ins.

Not that I see it happening, but has anyone here had the ins. co deny or give you trouble about a hyster?

Thanks
blondie08
Unread 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
How long to schedule?

I went to the surgeon on the 12th, and my hyst was scheduled for the 20th. I think a lot of it has to do with your medical situation; if I was not in danger, I probably would have been put off, but he was very blunt with me - mine is an urgent case.
Unread 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
How long to schedule?

My gyn could schedule surgery with a 6-8 week lead time, which ended up being slightly longer.

My uro/gyn had a 4-6 weak lead time and the 4 seemed to work.

I had no problems with my insurance. I went with the uro/gyn for a variety of reasons, not just less lead time. I am very happy I had the surgery.

Best wishes for your surgery - Joanne

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway