With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
I go to my doc tomorrow to schedule my hyst. I am nervous , and nothing even is really happening yet, just a quick check up and then the scheduling.
I am trying to get a grip on when this could actually happen, so was wondering if people could give me a rough timeline of how long it was between actually scheduling the surgery to getting in and having it done. I understand that all doctor's timelines are different, just looking to get an idea of what a reasonable average is.
Let's see, I called last Monday (9th) to schedule, 10th was a preop visit w/ OBGYN, yesterday was my preop with the hospital and I have an LSH on the 20th - my doctor wanted to schedule for last Friday (13th) but he was already booked (he schedules surgeries on Fridays). According to him, the longer the wait, the worse your nerves get, especially for hysterectomies...I agree. So it could be as short as a few days, but as long as several months depending on the hospital and surgeon. Oh, and insurance! My SIL had to jump through a LOT of hoops with her insurance. Fortunately, (or unfortunately) my condition is costing my PPO so much that they gratefully approved the surgery.
ETA: However, I think I am on the low end of the waiting process. I'd say a month is close to average.
Thank you. I know it shouldn't be too much of a hassle with my insurance, as they deem it necessary, and would rather spend the money all at once, instead of multiple smaller procedures, just to do the hyst anyways.
My doctor is pretty speedy about scheduling things like this, so that helps.
I had a consultation with the gynecological surgeon on 6/9. At that point, since I has seen 2 other doctors before, I was pretty sure she was going to recommend hysterectomy too. She did, and surgery is scheduled on 6/24. I am glad I only had a short wait, since my nerves are a mess already.
I had a visit in May (woke one morning to huge lump, fibroid thankfully). Dr scheduled US for next 'period' but was on vacation that week so ended up with that being early July and then Dr wanted 1 lupron injection pre-op so that was early August with Surgery in September.
The funny thing is, I wasn't nervous that whole time. At first I was and then I was ok until I was scheduling my pre-op.
I don't have a date yet. Have a appt. on the 27th of this month to see the gyno/surgeon, along with having another US. I think he'll be going over the results with me the same day. Probably decide about hysterectomy that day as well, since last time I was at the office I didn't give the PA I saw a definate answer on doing the hyster. or not.
Then there's having the dr. getting it approved by our Ins.
Not that I see it happening, but has anyone here had the ins. co deny or give you trouble about a hyster?
I went to the surgeon on the 12th, and my hyst was scheduled for the 20th. I think a lot of it has to do with your medical situation; if I was not in danger, I probably would have been put off, but he was very blunt with me - mine is an urgent case.