HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anybody With Mesh Problems Have Latex Allergy Anybody With Mesh Problems Have Latex Allergy

Unread 06-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Question - Anybody With Mesh Problems Have Latex Allergy Anybody With Mesh Problems Have Latex Allergy

HI

I am curious if the woman who is having or has had problems the the mesh (TVT) has any allergy such as latex.
I am currently 9 months passed having a TVT and am still having problems. I do have a latex allergy but my DR said there was no latex involved in the mesh.
Unread 06-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Anybody With Mesh Problems Have Latex Allergy

I actually had the mesh erode through the urethra. I have no latex allergy, but I am allergic to kiwi and they treat me like I am allergic to latex. When I have surgery it is latex free. I think mesh is probably not such a good idea. I had a sacralcolopepexy and am now eroding that mesh through the top of the vagina. What type of problems are you having? Before the mesh eroded through the urethra I had a hard time urinating, felt like I was urinating through a tiny coffee straw. My urethra hurt very bad all the time.
Unread 06-19-2008, 11:02 AM

This is very interesting. I was told by an anesthesiologist at one of my pre-ops that there are 'cross' allergies between kiwi allergies and latex. I have no idea why. And guess what else? I also have an allergy to kiwi. I can't even touch it without it blistering my hands and mouth. In addition to that, if latex bandages aren't removed from me quickly, they will cause blisters to form. However, I am not 'deathly' allergic to latex and don't have problems breathing around it like some people do. [FYI--I am also allergic to raw shrimp (cooked is fine), deathly allergic to Brazil nuts, and often raw walnuts and raw pecans will bother me.]

Also guess what? I had the mesh erosion problem. Does the polypropylene mesh have any similarities to the latex then? I know polypropylene is some sort of soft plastic material. I personally don't think it should be used in women at all but perhaps it shouldn't be used in any of us who have ever had ANY type of allergies EVER for sure.

This is certainly food for thought....
Unread 06-19-2008, 07:43 PM

I don't know if the polypropylene mesh has any latex or not.. My MD said told me there was no latex because I double checked this before my surgery. My latex problems are bandaids, swelling when receiving iv's if there is latex in the tubing.

As far as problems with my mesh I started out from surgery ( 9-08) bleeding (like a period) for about 2 months then I have been spotting. since then. I had repair surgery in April 2008 which appeared to help but I have started spotting again. I had the TVT and also another piece of mesh put in the same time. I can't remember the name of 2nd procedure but I know we took care of incontinence and cystocele at the same time.
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:24 PM

I had mesh erosion.
I'm not allergic to latex. I did, however, have a previous problem with sutures. I passed permanent sutures through a completely healed incision 3 months after the surgery. Within 7-10 days after the Hysterectomy and prolapse repair I started losing sutures that caused the repair to come undone. With each subsequent surgery I had some sort of a suture problem. You have no idea how many times I questioned the surgeon who recently performed my gastric bypass. Titanium sutures were used. I did develop a leak during surgery and the surgeon had to go back in to resuture it closed. So far so good.
Michelle
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:31 PM

I was told I had a possible allergic reaction to the mesh...like tingling and itching with no rash and chest pains. I was told it was similiar to a latex allergy where it get's worse with every exposure. Everything else was ruled out and was put on prednisone for a week. I am seeing a UroGyn that specializes in pelvic support in 2 weeks to see if the sling needs to come out.

I was also told by my PCP and two surgeons that this was really rare.
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:49 PM

Nicole, I was told the same thing. My Uro/Gyn is a pioneer in the field of mesh use for prolapse repair. He said he has only seen my type of reaction 2 or 3 times. He tried everything to keep the mesh intact, Pudendal Nerve Blocks for pain and inflammation, oral steroids, antibiotics, Pelvic Floor Therapy, nothing worked.
He removed about 99% of the mesh. I still have pain in the posterior vagina that my Gyn feels is due to the mesh arm bands that were left intact. They were not removed because they were enmeshed with my vaginal tissue in an area that has a lot of nerve innervation. The Uro/Gyn felt that removing it would cause more nerve damage. Whenever I have a BM it's very painful. It feels like the rectum won't stretch. Because of this my stool comes out thin and flat.
Now I'm having bladder problems, urgency, frequency, bladder spasms and leaking. I'm having difficulty with side effects from the medications prescribed and the Drs mentioned Interstim. It's sort of a bladder pacemaker that's surgically implanted near the spine. With my history I think I'll stick with bladder leakage. Me and foreign bodies just don't seem to get along!!!
Michelle
Unread 07-20-2008, 03:36 PM

Michelle, before they took the mesh out from the anterior/bladder side did you feel like you were getting sharp pains in the vaginal area. Everytime I go to the bathroom it is very painful afterward. Same when I get up, sit on a hard surface etc. I don't have any mesh on the posterior side but do have issues with my bowels. I have developed a very small rectocele but my bowels are skinnier than before...don't know what that's about. I have no mesh protruding in the vagina but she can feel the whole sling being pushed out.

What other symptoms did you have or having related to the mesh?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.