HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Any Suggestions for Meals Night Before Surgery?? Any Suggestions for Meals Night Before Surgery??

Unread 06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Any Suggestions for Meals Night Before Surgery??

Hi,
I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for what to eat the day before surgery . I am scheduled July 3rd for a TAH and will not need to do a bowel prep beforehand .

I know they told me to eat "light" but I was wondering what would be good, I was thinking about having rice & soup mostly.

Any suggestions would be very helpful~Thanks
Unread 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM

I had the bowel prep and I was on clear liquids like clear soup, popcicles, tea.
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Hi there. My doctor told me to eat light and if I wanted to, I could have a piece of baked chicken (no spices!) and rice. I don't have to have a bowel prep either. I wish nothing but the best for you my friend! Hugs!
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM

I, too, ate light. I knew that history would repeat itself and I would come out of surgery throwing up so I figured what went in would have to come out. The day before I had jello, broth and a fruit smoothie. My nerves we going and I really was not hungry anyway.
Unread 06-23-2008, 02:09 PM

I'd suggest something high in protein but light, like sushi or a chicken dish. If you generally "void out" your evening meal by the morning, then you don't have anything to worry about, but once you go into the hospital and they start the IV and wheel you in, whatever is left in your intestines is going to slow down while digesting and cause you some major gas after surgery.

I ate what I wanted since my system has been wonky after my gall bladder surgery. I was fine and didn't have bowel prep either. I just made sure to follow the "nothing after midnight" rule.

If you're worried about nausea, let the anesthetist know and they can give you something pre-op. I wouldn't do liquid diet though, fill up because it may be the last good meal you'll feel like eating for a while. Keep the soups and jello for post-op meals at home.
Unread 06-23-2008, 02:13 PM

hi . i am scheduled for july 15. totally scared. also dont have to do bowel prep. will probably drink prune juice so i go in the morning, i hope. i have problems with constipation.
thanks for the good ideas.
luv to all
Unread 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM

"Void Out" the next morning? No way!! I may not go but once or twice a week. Does that mean I need to start my fluids now - seven days out? LOL!!

Sorry, those once-a-day people annoy me!! Actually I think I'm jealous.

I'm in a silly mood - I'll blame it on the painkillers!!
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions
I had gallbladder surgery end of January and this concern didn't matter much then because I couldn't eat anything anyway so it was all good, but I was wondering for this particular surgery.
I have my pre-op with my doc. on wednesday so this is one of the questions I have on the very long list of questions I have for her.
Thanks Again,
Dawn
Unread 06-24-2008, 09:02 AM

i wish you luck and luv. so glad to share with you all.
Unread 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM

I ate a little bit of chicken with a little rice and carrots (lightly buttered). No spices and especially not garlic, you don't want your breath to smell bad! I was still hungry later, so I had jello and broth.
Best wishes to you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway