HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Total hysterectomy plus removal of ovaries ~ what to expect? Total hysterectomy plus removal of ovaries ~ what to expect?

Unread 06-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Total hysterectomy plus removal of ovaries ~ what to expect?

I have been wondering how it will feel from having ovaries one day and then none the next. With such a rapid drop in estrogen how does one feel? Anyone have a total hysterectomy who can tell me what to expect?
Unread 06-29-2008, 02:59 PM

kearnsjpk

It's great to have you join us and we hope you'll enjoy the amazing information and support here!

I'm sure it won't be too long before ((others)) reply to share their experiences and, in the meantime, it may help you to check out our <links> Pre-Op and Hormone pages, which are packed with information.

Sending all good wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Unread 06-29-2008, 03:43 PM

I had a total hysterectomy and started estrogn the day after. I have felt nothing different at all, nothing. Still waiting for something to slam me. LOL I hope not!! Good Luck!
Unread 06-29-2008, 03:58 PM

The doctor put a patch on me right after the TAH BSO.
Unread 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi

Well, first off you need to know what type of hysterectomy your dc will preform on you, that means alot. The recouperation from an abdominal hyst is longer than the recouperation from the laperscopic or vaginal hyst. For me the worst I think was the gas pains from the gas they use to expand your abdominal area. I was in sooo much pain from the gas, the pain to me felt like I was having a heart attack, sharp pain inbetween my breasts down to my belly area. Also, right after my surgery I had little to no feeling when I had to urinate, I could pee but I needed to time myself to use the bathroom and I could not push to go...it's strange to explain, the urine just flowed out without me doing anything but that passed too. B M's where painful too and still are sometimes, my doc said it is probably from new adhestions forming. I had fibroids and was anemic for over 2 years, I was lossing my hair i was missrable...why are you having your hysterectomy? Denise.
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:24 PM

I had really heavy bleeding and so had a d/c and the path report came back with ? cells so I went to see an oncology gyno who thinks I need a hysterectomy. I havent officially been given a diagnosis of cancer but it is a concern. I think I can deal with the hysterectomy its the unknown of what they will find that worries me. I am having a divinci procedure which I understand is easier and makes recovery faster.
jody
Unread 06-29-2008, 08:01 PM

I had TAH/BSO in April and am taking no hormones. Not much of a difference! Very mild menopausal symptoms, which is a huge relief.
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:41 PM

kearnsjpk...

I had surgery 24 days ago. I had a TAH/BSO and because of endo I only received a shot of progestorone. I have not had that many problems at all. I have had a few light hot flashes, which has been more "warm" than hot. And a few night sweats that actually wake me before soaking everything. All of this has been completely tolorable to me compared to what I was living with prior to surgery.

Good luck with your surgery and may you have a fast and uneventful recovery.
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM

I'm 4 weeks post op and am not taking hormones. I started having mild hot flashes last week, but nothing major. I don't really want to start any HRT, but am considering something like Estroven.
Unread 06-29-2008, 11:27 PM

I had my LAVH/BSO on May 9. My doctor gave me a shot of estrogen in recovery and other than some minor hot flashes, I have felt great. I tried the Vivelle Dot but because of some skin irritation, I stopped using it and I've been without any HRT. I've been taking soy and supplements and I'm going to start estroven soon.

Talk to your doctor now to get an idea of what will work for you, but I can tell you that at 7 weeks, no ovaries and I feel great and have since surgery.

You'll be doing great I'm sure. Best of luck to you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway