HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Magnesium Citrate-how long to work Magnesium Citrate-how long to work

Unread 06-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Magnesium Citrate-how long to work

I was wondering if anyone knows how long this takes to work. The bottle says 1/2 to 6 hours. For those who had to use this, how long did it take for you...

I drank 1 bottle at 2pm. I need to start the second bottle now. Nothing has happened. Maybe a few gas bubbles from the soda I mixed with it, that is all. I have to pee a lot. But nothing in my bowels. A little nausea from it.

thank you
Unread 06-29-2008, 05:27 PM

i only had to drink one bottle for my prep. i think it took between 2-3 hours to start working. the more i drank, the more i went. are you drinking a lot?
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:03 PM

It took mine 2-4 hours. Once you start, don't be very far from the restroom! And use baby wipes, if you have any. They really help!
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:22 PM

I only had to drink one bottle and it took about 4 hours to start working then it worked and worked and worked! Even once more before I lft for the castle the next morning! I had a complete clear liquid diet the day before my surgery so I think that's why my bowel prep took so long to start and lasted so long! I was able to sleep without interuption but I still had affects when I got up the next morning at 5 but then nothing again after that! Best wishes for a quick speedy recovery! See you on the other side! The wait is definitly the hardest part!!
Vickie
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:35 PM

I had to drink 1 bottle at 2 and another at 6 pm. I have been drinking constantly, since I can't eat. Boy, am I hungry.

But still nothing. It has been 5 1/2 hours since the first bottle.
I have IBS. I wonder if there is nothing there to clean out? That would be ironic.

Hints for others who have to drink it... keep very cold, lots of ice, and drink quickly through a straw. Otherwise it makes me gag and I can barely keep it down. I hate salt! It tastes so salty.
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Hi there Sue,

I too only had to drink one bottle--took me from 4:00-4:30pm to get it down (mixed it with just a small amount of Sierra Mist), and it didn't kick in until about 9:40pm. I had been on a liquid diet all day, and only went to the bathroom a handful of times...sure wish I had though of the baby wipes though, as Peaceful Storm suggested!

I wish you all the best for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery--please take care & let us know how you are doing

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 06-30-2008, 04:23 PM

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow July 1st at 1:15. I was told to drink one bottle. I drank it today at 11 am by 11:30 the MAGNESIUM CITRATE was paying off. It is now 5:20 and I am still afraid to laugh or cough for fear of having a accident on myself.

I am on a total liquid diet today. I tried chicken broth and it made me gag. I think I will continue drinking water and sprite.

Good Luck to you!
Unread 07-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Update:

Since I had started this tread, I thought I would let you know what happened. I had to drink a bottle at 2pm and 6 pm. I had been on clear liquids since noon.

It finally worked at 8:15pm. But it was only slightly looser then normal. (I do have IBS so mine tend to be on the loose side anyway).
I did have to go 3 more times that evening, but (TMI) all that came out was the MAGNESIUM CITRATE.(I ended up drinking the cherry flavor one.) It looked the same as when I poured it into my glass a few hours earlier.

But thank you to the wonderful suggestions. I had wipes and A&D ointment handy, just in case I got sore.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.