HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Low lithotomy vs. high lithotomy position Low lithotomy vs. high lithotomy position

Unread 08-02-2001, 08:06 PM
Low lithotomy vs. high lithotomy position

Okay ladies, it's me with another weird question that I've never seen on the board before, so here goes. We are all familiar with that wonderful low lithotomy position we are invited to take during our gyn exams (you know the routine--"feet in the stirrups and scoot down". I know that when they did my abdominal hyst, I was put into the low position (after I was unconsious, thank God)--and my legs were literally velcroed up into place since not too many unconscious women can hold their legs up by themselves! Apparently the high lithotomy position is used during vaginal hysts. My question is what do they do to you during the "high" position? Do they crank your feet up over your head?? Jeeze! Are there any health care professionals who would care to comment on this?
Linda
Unread 08-02-2001, 08:17 PM

Holy crap!!!!!
Call me a weenie, but I don't even want to know this!!
Eileen
Unread 08-02-2001, 08:55 PM

Hint: Search the archives for "frog leg".

The good news is that they have these wonderful high-tech blue-gel-padded lightweight aluminum supports (with Vecro, I suppose) that hold your legs up. I remember seeing them when I went into the OR for my pre-hyst lap (was supposed to be an ablation). They are designed to keep pressure off of sensitive nerves, and not interfere with blood flow. My legs weren't stiff or sore at all afterward. Alas, if they could only make desk chairs so carefully.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do some gentle warm-ups and stretches in pre-op, to loosen up the muscles. (Don't overdo it!)

For any TAH sisters out there, you'll be relieved to know my paperwork called it a "closed leg procedure".

p.s. Eileen! You crack me up. Don't worry, you won't know a thing about it. Probably the only reason I even saw the things was that I wasn't the least bit nervous, so they weren't giving me any fun drugs before going into the OR.
Unread 08-02-2001, 09:10 PM

Croak! Croak! Ribbet-ribbit-croak!!
Jeepers, no wonder my legs felt so stretched out after surgery!! I was frog woman! I didn't get to see much of the equipment in the OR because they gave me a face mask full of gas while I was still in a bed. They didn't move me to the operating table until I was all the way under. Now my only question is was I a closed leg frog or a full-out open legged frog? (Heh-heh-heh!)
Unread 08-03-2001, 12:58 AM

Okay, NOT that it really matters now but you are kinda freaking me out. Why,I don't know. LOL

I guess I thought that they just put my legs in the stirrups -are you saying they jacked my legs up over my head or what? LOL All I remember is being asked to scooch over on the operating/surgery table and they were putting my arms on these things and then a gas mask came at my face just as I saw my dr's attending nurse walk up to squeeze my arm and comfort me that everyone was going to be alright... I do not know what they did with my legs after that.

egads, never even thought about this!
Unread 08-03-2001, 11:07 PM
I remember....

I was in the OR & had just wiggled my way over to the OR table....
Wish that I could remember what it was that I asked someone right before they put me out, cause the answer was "after you are asleep."
I am thinking, that MAYBE I asked if I needed to put my legs in the stirrups??????????
cause I do remember seeing these pole-like leg holders, that were wheeled up to each side of the OR table. I also remember staring at two dangling chains (that were making a clanging noise from dangling on the metal) and looking at some weird velcro closure strap attached to it.
I was wondering to myself at that very moment...."What the %$#@$##!! ARE THOSE?? They don't look like any kind of stirrups that I have used before!!!"
Unread 08-04-2001, 11:21 AM

Stephanie,

You may well have solved our little puzzle here.... My roommate in hospital had bladder-repairwork done. She was convinced that just before they "knocked her out" she saw two theatre nurses holding chains! We rolled about laughing (not easy two days post-op, ouch), thinking it was some medication-induced SM hallucination! So maybe she wasn't hallucinating at all! Thanks for solving this for us!
Unread 08-04-2001, 11:53 AM
eek

Gals,

I read my surgical report and saw dorsal lithotomy postition. Never thought about it though. They have to prop your legs up to cut you in your abdomen? Geesh!, thanks for the info. So I suppose because my vaginal passage is abnormal because there was never a cervix. The doc had the resident take a look while I was zonked. I also have stenosis which means it is a short passage. Guess they could test elasticity while I was relaxed. HaHa. Nothing in surgical report on that. I suppose the nurses would have protected me. The whole operating room could have had a discussion on vaginal passages and such. I know I freaked out a nurse when I first went to a doc in1988. What else could they have propped me up for? Besides the catheter? The position help with blood flow and circulation? Oh Brother! Again thanks????

Best Wishes,
Adria
Unread 08-04-2001, 12:58 PM
Tiny...

Glad that I solved that mystery for you!!! ha ha ha...
Kinda reminds me of 2 people seeing the same UFO.....
makes you wonder!!!!
Unread 08-04-2001, 01:50 PM

Oh my as I'm reading this I'm thinking..do I really want to be awake with an epidural? I guess only people that have had epidurals and have been awake can answer this. Good thing I heard now as I need to get working out my legs. I had knee surgery and can't even imagine if they go overboard. OUCH!!!!! CHains??? That would freak me out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.