HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What's considered a "large" fibroid? What's considered a "large" fibroid?

Unread 07-05-2008, 09:12 AM
What's considered a "large" fibroid?

I'm new here and just found out I have fibroids (3) that are in the 10-12 cm range. I have a 13 week-sized uterus. Everything I've read talks about "if your fibroids are vey large.." Well, I don't know what's considered "large". Also, friends are recommending that if I have a hysterectomy to have a vaginal hysterectomy. But when I read, the words "large fibroids" come up again-as in, "if you have very large fibroids, you may not be able to [have a vaginal hysterectomy". So can someone please give me an idea of whether my fibroids are considered big/small/medium size?
Unread 07-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Hello Simba...
I had my doctor ordered hysterectomy due to multiple fibroids and an enlarged uterus. The Dr. told me it was 10cm as well and if I understood him correctly, it was causing my uterus to enlarge. I also understood that he had to do a abdominal to remove my uterus. I believe that my Drs. felt that my 10cm fibroid was large.
Unread 07-05-2008, 12:55 PM
My doc said usaually when the uterus is larger than a 4 month

I am having a TAH on the 9th. I am a small peron 110 pounds, small frame. My doc said that my uterus is the size of a 4 month pregnancy from fibroids. He said that He would have to do the bikini cut. He said that I could probalby find a doc who would do it laproscopically, divinci or whatever He said that my uterus is to big and I am too small to give room with his instruments. I agree with Him, I don't want to take any chances. I want him to be able to take a good look at all my parts and make sure nothing is missed. I don't want him to have to fumble around with a scapul. This is my take on it. And if anyone wants to preserve there belly looks it would be me cause I'm a bellydancer. I also have a very physical job, I'm a physical therapist. So it will be weeks before I can go back to work. If Ihad the laproscopy it would probaly only about 4 weeks. So, the other thing is the size of the uterus is really pressing on everything down there! If there were anatural cure that would be the treatment of choice for me, but have not heard of any that really work.
Unread 07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi

I had a LSH on Jan14 because I had 2 submucual fibroids that where about your size i alittle samaller one alittle larger my uterice was 11 weeks size....I know ladies out there have much larger fibroids then ours but I feel like if your firboids are causing you misery like mine where there large. I was bleeding 3 weeks out of the month and anemic with bladder problems because they where pressing on my bladderand by the way my doc did call them large. Denise.
Unread 07-05-2008, 01:12 PM
"massive" uterus

Hello, my doctor said that my uterus appears to be (when I lay down flat) all the way up to about my belly button. She said this is like a 5 month pregnancy measurement. My ultrasound report described my uterus as "massive" and said it had innumerable fibroids with the 2 dominant lesions measuring in the 8cm range each. BTW, I'm having a TAH but did receive a second opinion that a LAVH could be attempted (without guarantees a TAH would't be necessary in the end, of course). Like previous posters, i'm not taking any chances, either.
Unread 07-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Hi Simba,

In pre-op, as I remember reading on Web MD...a fibroid that was 5 cm or larger was considered large. I had a 15 week size uterus with fibroids.

I got (2) opinions myself. My first Dr. wanted to do an abdominal hyst (TAH) due to the size of my fibroids. She said I was *not* a candidate for a less invasive hyst.

I got a 2nd opinion and he recommended a LSH, a laparoscopic hyst after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for the less invasive hyst. You might check lupron out. It is not for everyone...and it worked for me. My fibroids shrunk enough and I had a LSH. I am still very pleased with the results.

I might suggest you check out the *Hysterectomy Checkpoints* link at the top of the web site. Go to the *Pre-op* link on it. It goes over important questions to ask the Dr. if thinking about a hyst...and it also goes over the different types of hysts.

In the end...just do what you feel is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Sending Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Hello,

I had one large fibroid that was about 15-16 cm's on top of my uterus, and had it removed in May via myomectomy. I feel so much better (and I didn't have any of the classic symptoms!), but am just waiting to be able to exercise again and get the cut muscles in my lower abs back to shape. I felt that I looked pregnant--I am a runner & do pilates, and I was always trying to get rid of the 'bump' but to no avail. It was so noticable to me, and I was always sucking my fibroid in. Glad it's gone. Good luck to you.
Unread 07-07-2008, 03:24 PM

Thanks so much everyone! This was all so fast! Seems like I was still recovering from hearing the word "fibroids" and I was in the middle of an ultrasound. Right now MD is just "watching", since I have no symptoms (except frequent potty stops). I really appreciate how nice everyone's been answering my questions.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.