HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Black cohosh, soy or progesterone cream allowed when you have had breast cancer??? Black cohosh, soy or progesterone cream allowed when you have had breast cancer???

Unread 07-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Black cohosh, soy or progesterone cream allowed when you have had breast cancer???

I am recovered from hyster/oopher, had an intestinel abscess two weeks after had to have drain placed in intestine and stayed in hospital for 4 days. Doing fine now!

I am having mild hot flashes but the the sleep interuptions is what is driving me crazy!

Can you take black cohash or soy when you have had breast cancer??? What about progestrone creme?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated>

Daniella
Unread 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Black cohosh, soy or progesterone cream allowed when you have had breast cancer???

Hi Daniella,

I had carcinoma in situ, not full blown breast cancer, but my doctor does allow all of the above. They do seem to help both the sleep problems and the hotflashes.

Good luck,

Margaret
Unread 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I would see my oncologist to see what he wants you to do. Black cohosh and some of the other supplements act like estrogen in the body.

I have a friend who had breast cancer and she is not allowed to take soy, black cohosh or any kind of hormones.

You might try vitamin E , Evening Primrose Oil, Flaxseed oil, acupunture, and other prescriptions that can help with the hot flashes that your doctor can give you. Efflexor is an anti-depressant and that is what is being given to those who cannot take hrt, and can lower hot flashes up to 60% which is much better than herbs or supplements.

Here is a link that might be helpful:

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/men...ot_flashes.jsp

s
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:22 PM

Hi Daniella,
I'm glad to hear that you're doing much better now. I am not familiar enough with the items that you mentioned to help you, but I've heard that they are both very helpful to some pple. A nurst told me that isolated soy powder helped her and she NEVER had one hot flash. I have it and used it right after my oopherectomy, but I wasn't haven't hot flashes yet. I didn't them for a couple of wks. Now, they are coming more often. They are annoying, but I'd rather have them than cancer. The sleep interuptions are what bothers me the most, too!!!!! I wake every morning at three-thirty or four-thirty and I am the kind of person that needs uninterrupted sleep. I've been told Melatonin helps. I will try that after I ask the doctor. Just make sure that your doc okays whatever you will take, as some doctors don't think those things are a good idea (soy). I hope that we will both be sleeping well VERRRRRRRY soon. All my best for a speedy recovery and sweet dreams........Jen
Unread 07-08-2008, 11:24 PM

I've heard very good and very bad things about Effexsor. Are there any ladies out there who have any personal experience with it? Jen
Unread 07-09-2008, 01:42 AM

Hi Jen, I'm take generic effexor for depression/panic attacks. I've only been taking half the dose right now though. I haven't had any bad reactions or anything from it. I do think my appetite is less than it use to be.

Ruth
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Effexor

Hi Ruth,
Thanks for resonding and so quickly. I had panic attacks too and doc wanted me to take it. I read soooo many people on webMD had probs. If they didn't take it at exactly the right times they hallucinated, had bad headaches, dizziness, etc. I read on and on about it there. They mostly said that it helped the panic attacks, but when they tried to get off there were many horrific side effects like I mentioned above. How much are you on? I could stand to lose about 7 lbs. Glad it is helping you. Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie08
Hi Jen, I'm take generic effexor for depression/panic attacks. I've only been taking half the dose right now though. I haven't had any bad reactions or anything from it. I do think my appetite is less than it use to be.

Ruth

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.