HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Any tips on getting the bowels working again? Any tips on getting the bowels working again?

Unread 07-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Surgery 7/8 and successfully over the hump

I had a vaginal hysterectomy Tuesday mid-day and all went quite well. Had never been under general anesthesia so was quite nervous...but it was no sweat. They gave me anti-nausia meds with the anesthesia and so I did not experience any of that nasty nausia that many complain about. Yay!

Came home in less than 24 hours after very good care in the hospital and am now just doing ibuprofin for pain. Yesterday I needed the codeine. No trouble peeing, though I seem to have endless amounts of gas which is quite painful and no fun!

Any tips on getting the bowels working again? I don't feel consipated yet, but I am concerned that I will be shortly.
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Any tips on getting the bowels working again?

Hello! to Hyster Sisters!

It sounds like your recovery is going well so far! I remember gas pains as being one of the worst parts of my recovery.

Did your doctor give you instructions as far as activity? Mine suggested short, frequent walks, gradually building up the amount of time that I walked each day. Drinking enough fluids is helpful, too.

There's information in this link that you may find helpful, and no doubt your new Sisters will be along to share ideas as well: Constipation After Hysterectomy.

Best wishes for your recovery!

s
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:41 PM

The things that worked for me are:

Colace (stool softener) 100 mg twice a day. I was started on this in the hospital and am still using

Walking

Staying hydrated - I try to drink as much water as possible throughout the day

Eating soft foods and lots of fiber - I particularly like Fiber One bars and cereal, oatmeal and prunes (believe it or not, the individually wrapped ones are pretty tasty). I am also eating lots of fresh fruit. I can't handle my usual amount and types of vegetables yet, as they give me gas

I am a coffee drinker and my morning cup of coffee sometimes helps things move along. I think any hot beverage would have the same effect.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Hi there & welcome!

I have to agree with everything that zoeyjoey stated above! I too used Colace 100mg AM and PM, drink water, a little coffee sometimes, walk as tolerated...

I also took Gas-X (2 chewables) twice a day for the gas pain, which got better in about 4-5 days.

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery, and please take care

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

I too am having bowel issues. I am doing all the stuff they said. I called the Dr. today and they told me to use a suppository to get things moving. It has given some relief. I need to stay on the Colace until I am done with pain meds. Hopefully, this will have jump started things and away we go.
Unread 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM

I had bad bad gas and my DH looked online for relief and found out that chewing gum helps. So he gave me some and it worked great for me. Also found like pain if you stay on top of you BM your better off Milk of Mag keeps thing moving!!

sub hyster kept ovaries
Unread 07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
getting bowels going

If you are allowed dried fruits, mixed in the bags, Sun Maid or Mariani, mission figs are good too, do that, just a few pieces at a time once or twice a day. I cut mine with a kitchen shears and "snack" on them. Also a stool softner if you can do that. Mine does not give me the runs, just softens your stool as the nurse told, so you do not strain. I had a total vaginal hysterectomy and cystocele and had a great hospital experience also. I was terrified of general anesthesia too....and thanks to the wonderful concerns and care of the doctor and anestheologist, all went well. I was given ZOFRAN for nausea in my iv...and wish I could afford to take it at home...It is $150.00 for one rx...Take care, get better every day. JJS-TVH/cystocele-June 11th-Joan
  Quote:
Originally Posted by wengc
I had a vaginal hysterectomy Tuesday mid-day and all went quite well. Had never been under general anesthesia so was quite nervous...but it was no sweat. They gave me anti-nausia meds with the anesthesia and so I did not experience any of that nasty nausia that many complain about. Yay!

Came home in less than 24 hours after very good care in the hospital and am now just doing ibuprofin for pain. Yesterday I needed the codeine. No trouble peeing, though I seem to have endless amounts of gas which is quite painful and no fun!

Any tips on getting the bowels working again? I don't feel consipated yet, but I am concerned that I will be shortly.
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:13 PM

wengc,
I agree with all the above ideas. I too have tried them all and have been happy with the results. My DR did send me home with a suppository. I used it the first night home and within a half an hour it did the trick.
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:18 PM

For me, stool softeners and tons of water. I didn't get constipated until about 13 days post op, was ok up til then. I didn't want to use laxatives so I just kept up with the softeners and water. They did kick in about two days later. Good luck!!
Unread 07-10-2008, 06:06 PM

I used Senokot twice a day and GasX 4 times a day, one with each meal and one before bed. That helped quite a bit. I weened myself off the Senokot after 2 weeks. Walking and drinking a lot of water helped. I did have to use Miralax a couple of times a week for a few weeks after I stopped the Senokot. Stay away from spicy foods, beans , cheese and chocolate . These do cause more gas and constipation. I also added prunes to my diet. They are a great source of fiber and antioxidants. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.