HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fleet enema for bowel prep Fleet enema for bowel prep

Unread 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Fleet enema for bowel prep

I haven't even read the box yet, but my prep is a fleet enema. I haven't heard anyone say anything about that. My stomach is flipping thinking about it.
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Good Luck!!! Sending positive thoughts your way. I hope to see you on the other side next week.
-M
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:16 PM

imo...I think the fleet enema is a lot easier than having to drink your prep. Good luck to you!

Ruth
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Hi there,

I needed to use a Fleet's enema 2 hours before I left home the morning of surgery, but I had also done the Magnesium Citrate bowel prep the afternnon prior--double whammy

The Fleet's isn't too terrible, a tad uncomfortable of course, but just be right there and ready for a-c-t-i-o-n when you use it...do hang on, as per the instructions, until you feel the strong urge to go (could be anywhere from 1-5 mins as I recall?) Since I had done the other prep the day before, mine did take the full 5 minutes to kick in. I used my bathtub as my "staging ground" for the Fleet's (nope, not comfy but was practical). Oh, and also per the instructions, don't expect to expel all of the contents when you squeeze the bottle--there will be a little bit left in there.

Wishing you the very best for an uneventful surgery & a speedy recovery!

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:30 PM

some people have had to do both the drink and the enema.
My doc told me that no prep was necessary. I don't have endo or other complications. But I thought I'd give the old enema a go just to give my intestines a fresh start and, just in case he saw something he wasn't expecting while he's looking around inside.

When I had bladder surgery, my doctor recommended an enema prep. There was no way I was going to let anyone else give it to me and I wouldn't be able to self-administer the way it's suggested on the box. For me, it found it easiest to do it in the shower. Then, hold, hold, hold, making sure I was close by the potty.
Unread 07-11-2008, 11:41 AM

1-5 minutes? The pre-admission nurse I talked to said hold out for 10 to 15 min. Holy Cow, It's a good thing I asked!!!
Unread 07-11-2008, 11:49 AM

as usual this site is awesome and continues to amaze me - I got the instructions to do both the drink and the enema and reading the tips above really helped- I am so grateful for this website- it really helps me out to know others are dealing exactly with what I am dealing with - thanks
42 Y.O. fibroids and large uterus TAH July 18
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Hi again!

Wowie, if you were told to hold out for 10-15 minutes, you may want to read the box instructions, then check with the pre-admission nurse to be sure on that one! I've had to use the Fleet's a few times for surgeries and colonoscopies, and I cannot imagine being able to hold out that long ackkk!

I really would call to be sure though--always gotta follow doc's advice

Wishing you the very best!

Sincerely, Trish
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:58 PM

OK, so I just called and talked to the DR's office and the nurse said, "Ha, Good luck!" Apparently their advice is to hold on as long as possible.

Thanks for the "luck" wishes. I think I'll need the luck just to not make a huge mess! (sorry so graphic!)
Unread 07-11-2008, 03:22 PM

I didn't have a bowel prep (as in having to drink the liquid) but on the day of surgery, they did give me an enema to give myself.

Nothing much happened, but nerves had sort of, ahem, helped me "clean out" the day or two prior to surgery.

I wouldn't worry too much about any mess. The enema won't give you diarrhea, it will just make things come out, if you catch my drift. Good luck to you.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.