HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

I wonder about taking Metamucil before surgery I wonder about taking Metamucil before surgery

Unread 07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I wonder about taking Metamucil before surgery

I am thinking about taking Metamucil daily before the surgery. It says on the container to consult your doctor if you have abdonimal pain or nausia. I don't want to be a pest and call the doctor again. And my pre-op appointment isn't until 8 days before surgery. As it is I will probably have to call her about indicating on my fmla form that my anticipated return to work date is only 2 weeks after surgery! I would really like to do an extra good job cleaning out my innards!
Unread 07-11-2008, 08:26 PM

May I ask why would think you should take this pre-op?

I did not have any type of bowel prep for my surgery. Wasn't an issue. If your Dr wants you to do a bowel prep, I would think that he or she will give you instructions.
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM

You can probably take a little if you are backed up right now - but I would not use it to get yourself "prepared" before hand. Anything that makes changes in you body would not be a good idea unless the Doc has suggested or at least approved.

Blessing and good luck on your surg.

TANK
Unread 07-12-2008, 03:35 PM

If you are taking this to prepare for surgery, I would wait until your pre op appt. and discuss it with your doctor first. if your doctor thinks you might need a bowel prep, then he will give you instructions as to what you need to take or do.
blessings.
Unread 07-12-2008, 04:47 PM

If you are constipated, take it. It is just fiber and will not hurt you one bit.
I used a Fleet enema twice before my surgury just to make sure I was cleaned out because I did not want the doctor to have any obstacles during surgury (had vaginal hysterectomy).
I used one before bedtime the night before my surgury and early the morning of my surgury since my surgury was not scheduled until 1:00 pm.
I had a bowel movement that morning so I was glad I did the enema twice.
I also used a timer while doing the enema process to make sure I was waiting as long as I could since it is so uncomfortable. That also helped.
I hope all goes well. Let us know.
Unread 07-12-2008, 04:59 PM

Please talk to your doctor before starting this regime. One reason, your body may not react to the Metamucil like you think it will and you might end up with the opposite reaction (I say this as me and a fiber supplment of any kind do NOT get along and I am likely to end up constipated rather than "cleaned out" as you are hoping for! ).

Also, not all doctors want their patients to be "cleaned out." While it might be okay, it is better to ask and be sure. And you also need to talk to your doctor about the plan to go back to work at two weeks as that may be counterproductive for healing.

FYI, I did not have a bowel prep for my hysterectomy, only the "do not eat or drink after midnight," and I had absolutely no bowels issues at all!

Best wishes to you for your upcoming surgery!
Unread 07-12-2008, 05:28 PM

I have to strongly agree with what Weiser said because I am also one of those rare individuals who get constipated from Metamucil--go figure??? The best way to be sure that everything is working properly is lots of fluids, fiber from vegetables and whole grains, and exercise. I'm going to try to avoid red meat and dairy for the next few days because they seems to slow my system down a bit.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway