HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Severe lower right side pain Severe lower right side pain

Unread 07-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Severe lower right side pain

I had my TAH on June 30th at noon. I spent three nights at the castle. All has been going well til last night. I have severe lower right side pain. The Dr took my right ovary, and he said that all looked well. So...what's the deal. My pain meds aren't real effective. Today I am going to pretty much stay in bed all day. Maybe I overdid it. Yes i have been walking around the block or further and the other day I mowed the yard with a push mower. But would that cause this much pain? any support would be appreciated. thanks.
Unread 07-13-2008, 08:27 AM

I am not a doctor, but I was given the impression that pushing a lawn mower or even a vacuum for the first 4-6 weeks was off limits. You should definitely take it easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantbeets
I had my TAH on June 30th at noon. I spent three nights at the castle. All has been going well til last night. I have severe lower right side pain. The Dr took my right ovary, and he said that all looked well. So...what's the deal. My pain meds aren't real effective. Today I am going to pretty much stay in bed all day. Maybe I overdid it. Yes i have been walking around the block or further and the other day I mowed the yard with a push mower. But would that cause this much pain? any support would be appreciated. thanks.
Unread 07-13-2008, 08:32 AM

Definately think mowing the lawn a bit too much! I am walking a lot too and certainly feel it when I over do that. My Dr told me not to do anything that required pushing down, and that constipation is not good. I had the Da Vinci and am so glad that I was able to have that and so I am determined to take care of myself. It's hard when physically you don't seem or sometimes feel like you have had major surgery but we ladies need to remember that we did. My husband sometimes has to be reminded that "no I can't go to the mall" and walk around there for an hour or two.
Take care, and try to rest inbetween your walking. Walking around the house is fine, and I do lots of small things nothing major like cleaning etc., but I empy the dishwasher, making sure I only take a couple of plates out at a time.
Take care and good luck
Unread 07-13-2008, 12:52 PM

iwantbeets

I'm so sorry you've experienced this.

A hysterectomy is major surgery and complete rest is advised for the first 6 weeks whilst the initial, and vital, healing takes place. Full recovery can then take anything from 3 months to a year.

As your ((sisters)) have said above, mowing the lawn at only 2 weeks post-op is definitely over-doing it, and there's a real danger of causing damage at this delicate stage in your recovery. It will help you to read our HS article <link> Doing Too Much, Too Soon which explains the dangers in more detail.

It might be a good idea to contact your doctor and explain what's happened, to be on the safe side. S/he may possibly wish to examine you.

Will you let us know how you get on? Please take good care as you've only this one chance to heal properly.

Unread 07-13-2008, 01:03 PM

Please call your doctor about this! I don't know whether or not you have your appendix, but lower right quadrant pain can also be a symptom of appendicitis! Sometimes it's hard to tell if pain is due to ongoing recovery, or if it's something new.
Unread 07-13-2008, 02:09 PM

I had my hys [all laproscopic] kept cervix in Jan. and have been in pain since. I had lower right pain and tenderness with swelling. After 3 c-scans and an mri I have finally[6 months later] been diagnosed with right ovarian vein thrombosis. This is very rare and none of my doctors had ever had a patient wit this. I am now being treated with 4 weeks of an injectable blood thiner called Lovenox. I am so worried that this will not work and I'm not sure what the next thing will be. Has anyone one else had this experience?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway