HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

vaginal cuff dysplasia symptoms vaginal cuff dysplasia symptoms

Unread 07-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Vaginal Cuff Dysplasia Symptoms

For those of you that have had vaginal cuff dysplasia, what were your first symptoms? Do my symptoms sound anything like what you experienced?

I just want to note that I AM scheduled to see a gynecologist but my appt isn't for another month. I can't get an earlier appointment. I'm a worrier so I'm researching.

I'm coming up on my 8 year anniversary for my LAVH. I had CIN III cervical dysplasia treated a few months prior to my hysterectomy by LEEP. I have not had a test for HPV. My hysterectomy was mainly due to my continued heavy bleeding, which we found out was due to adenyomyosis.

Last year during my yearly exam, my doctor mentioned that I had a vaginal polyp but she was not concerned about it at the time (she is not a Gyn). Over the past year, I have had increasing discomfort. It's hard to describe it....just pain running down the left side of my vagina and into my left buttock. My tailbone hurts all of the time. The pain isn't related to sex or any type of activity. It's just there all the time.

I know this is TMI but...this morning, I was feeling a little more pain than usual so I checked it out. Around the vaginal cuff area, there is now what I would describe as a lump. It is toward the side. I don't know what a polyp would feel like but I wouldn't expect a polyp to be hard.

When I try to research "vaginal lump", I find info about STD's and bartholins glands but I don't think that is what this is.

Thanks for any info you can give me!
Nancy
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM
vaginal cuff dysplasia symptoms

to Hystersisters, (((Nancy)))!

Personally, I would call the gynecologist and explain the situation and see if they could work you in sooner. If not, call your physician who noticed the polyp in the first place and ask to be seen. If there's a problem, your doctor will have more clout getting a gyn to see you more quickly. You should have it looked at, though, since you are having more pain and since it has changed.

Good luck! I hope you get in quickly and that you have something easily taken care of. Please keep us posted on what you find out!

Unread 07-18-2008, 08:43 AM

as jeanine said, i would encourage you to try to see the gynecologist sooner vs. later, particularly since you're having increasing pain. dysplasia, whether cervical or vaginal, doesn't usually have any symptoms at all; it's detected by abnormal pap smears. i hope you're soon feeling better and that whatever's wrong is benign and easily 'fixed'!
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:42 AM

I agree, I would be very insistent on getting in much earlier. And if they do not accomadate you and your situation, I would look for another gyno who can get you in sooner. If you have to, get dramatic.
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:54 AM

Hi Nancy,

I never had any symptoms when I had dysplasia, as I think is the case with most women. If there are symptoms at all, they would be abnormal bleeding and pain, especially during sex, but that would be in the later stages.

Please get this lump checked out by a gyn/oncologist. It could just be a cyst, but you don't want to take any chances.

I also have a vaginal lump that I found that I'm seeing my doctor about in two weeks. I'm getting rather anxious about it, since I also had carcinoma in situ on my vaginal cuff.

I hope everything goes okay. I'll be keeping you in my prayers that all will be okay.

:hug;s,

Lisa
Unread 07-19-2008, 03:41 AM

Hello, Nancy. It might be worth the extra effort to find a gynecology oncologist, and sooner rather than later. Waiting a month when you have a growth of any kind and it hurts you seems a little hard. Perhaps, as someone suggested above, calling your doctor and explaining that you are concerned and have a history that suggests you would benefit from being seen sooner -- perhaps that would do it. Or perhaps having your GP set you up with someone, particularly a gyn oncologist, would get you in sooner. But by all means, if you are hurting, and if you have concerns, waiting a whole month will be a long wait for you. Please try to get in to see someone, even if not your regular doctor, sooner. Many GPs can do exams, too, so that even if you could just get in to your GP, it would get the tests started. Ideally, however, an oncologist would be the person to see, as s/he would be more experienced in matters suspicious and benign.

Please let us know what happens, okay?
Unread 07-19-2008, 09:17 AM

I agree with the other hystersisters that waiting a month is not a good idea. You deserve peace of mind!

For what it is worth, I had a swollen Bartholin's gland and it was not a hard lump. Also, the swelling was at the entrance to my vagina. Eventually, it went away by itself. The gyn told me to watch it and there was no other treatment.
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:05 AM

Guess I need an anatomy lesson.. Can someone tell me what this Bartholins gland is, where it is located?
I for one have been too chicken to feel up there since the surgery...Must be another one of my coping mechanisms.
Unread 07-19-2008, 12:52 PM

The Bartholin's glands are located on each side of the vaginal opening. They provide lubrication for the area. They can become infected or blocked and a cyst can develop. I've had several Bartholin's gland cysts and they were very painful.

If you Google Bartholin's glands, there is a ton of information on them.
Unread 07-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you

Thank you for all of your responses!

I will not be waiting until my preventive visit to get in to see the doctor. I've been in pain all weekend and will be calling a gynecologist first thing in the morning.

After reading everything I can find this weekend, I have feeling that you all are right about me getting in sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
Nancy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.