HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Repeat bladder infection? Repeat bladder infection?

Unread 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Repeat bladder infection?

I took a full course of antibiotics for a bladder infection, I think I finished that up about a week ago. Now I feel like I have another one! Is it possible the first one didn't clear up properly? Yeesh, I don't have time for this and I'm sick of my bladder feeling like this. That one week reprieve was sooooo nice. I haven't peed that comfortably in years.
Unread 07-23-2008, 07:51 PM

So sorry you are experiencing this.

I think you need to call the doctor and ask to be seen at the office. The only way to know what is going on for sure is for them to get a sample and test it. Not to frighten you, but I once had a bladder infection that was so severe it traveled to my kidneys and cause me to excrete blood. The emergency room staff insisted that I was in some sort of traumatic accident (I wasn't) until they tested a sample of my urine and saw what was in there.

Hope you are better soon!
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:03 AM

I know I have to call the doctor. I'm just waiting for his office to open. I'm really quite sure I have another infection, or maybe the first one didn't clear up completely. I hope he'll get me started on antibiotics without waiting until the lab results come in. It took over a week last time.
Unread 07-24-2008, 06:11 AM

Depending on the bacteria that infect the urinary tract diffrent antibiotics and doses may be required. What antibiotic were you on? It is very plausabile that your antibiotic did not kill off everything. I was just diagnosed with a UTI. I just had a lot of abdominial pain. My doctor put me on levaquin for 5 days to make sure he got the bacteria.

I hope all goes well with your doctor today. You can buy OTC test strips for UTI too. They are made by AZO. The are the same strips your doctor uses to see if you have WBC's and nitrate in your urine, both signs of UTI. You can test yourself 1 week after a course of anitbiotics. I talked with my surgeon for another procedure yesterday and told him I had a UTI. He was adamint that I rest within 1 week of finishing the meds.
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM

Hello. Do please call your doctor, because infections can run rampant while we are healing.

Yet I also wanted to suggest something that works for me. I used to think I was having bladder and urinary tract infections, while recovering, but it turned out that, for some reason, after my surgery my body stopped processing things the same way.

I have taken out entirely or significantly reduced the following, and it has really helped me feel as if I have a *near*ly normal bladder:

raw tomatoes and tomato sauce (reduced - I need the lycopene in cooked tomatoes);

all sodas and carbonated beverages (none);

cranberry juice (yes, it caused problems, so I have none);

green tea (have it once in a great while);

regular, caffeinated, tea and

coffee (I have about 12 oz per day now -- that's all);

wine (alas - the acid and sulfites kill my bladder).

I'm doing much better now that I'm aware that what I was eating and drinking was causing me real problems.

I hope things improve for you really soon.
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:00 PM

Well I popped in for a test today, but I probably won't know the results until Monday. In the meantime I've started taking Advil again to help take the edge off the burning.

Blueheron, how did you come up with that particular list? Other than tomatoes and some coffee/tea, I don't usually have most of those things anyway. I had been drinking cranberry juice after my surgery but I stopped last week cause I got sick of it.
Unread 07-24-2008, 08:30 PM

Are bladder infections common with this kind of surgery? I have also had 2 bladder infections back to back but I am 6 months post opp so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I just know that I have only had 2 bladder infections in my whole life so this is not normal for me. If anyone knows the answers to these questions please let me know.
Amanda
Unread 07-25-2008, 04:27 AM

Hello, again, TGail. I came up with that list after reading up a bit about the bladder and things that can irritate our systems. (Just a number of things on the web.) I paid attention to things that are acidic and have caffeine. The list also includes orange juice, which I forgot to mention. I can have a glass of orange juice, and it's fine. But if I have that, plus more than 2 cups of coffee, plus a tomato or glass of soda later in the day, I go to bed feeling like 1) I have to go all the time, 2) there's a murring or irritation in my bladder, or 3) I'm in pain in my bladder area.

I've read up on interstitial cystitis (IC), and I don't think it's that I have that. I just have bladder irritations that evidently are caused by too much acidic and caffeinated things in my diet. If you are the kind who enjoys latte and those special coffee drinks that are favored these days, try dropping these out first and see what happens.

For amandaluna, bladder problems can happen for lots of reasons. If you've not had them before, then my *guess* would be that when you had the catheter inside, it might have been resting on the soft tissues that line the interior of the bladder. That's what it felt like for me. I got them to get the catheter out within hours of my surgery, because I could feel it in there, and it felt as if it had been blown up too much (they use a little balloon that they fill up a bit, to keep the tube inside).

Anyway, sometimes if the meds are not working for you, it could be that you might do well to try some simple dietary measures (not that giving up my 4 cups of coffee a day was easy). It's cheaper, and it saves your use of antibiotics for a period when you might really *really* need them.

I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1800
Depending on the bacteria that infect the urinary tract diffrent antibiotics and doses may be required. What antibiotic were you on? It is very plausabile that your antibiotic did not kill off everything. I was just diagnosed with a UTI. I just had a lot of abdominial pain. My doctor put me on levaquin for 5 days to make sure he got the bacteria.

I hope all goes well with your doctor today. You can buy OTC test strips for UTI too. They are made by AZO. The are the same strips your doctor uses to see if you have WBC's and nitrate in your urine, both signs of UTI. You can test yourself 1 week after a course of anitbiotics. I talked with my surgeon for another procedure yesterday and told him I had a UTI. He was adamint that I rest within 1 week of finishing the meds.
Do you know how much the strips cost and where can you get them ?? I think they would come handy, I was wondering sometimes if I have a UTI and I would like to know before I would call Dr. and them tell me to make a trip to the Dr's office.
Unread 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM

They are called AZO urinary test strips. You can get them at most pharmacies. They are about $10 for 3 strips. Here is the web address for the strips. http://www.azoproducts.com/faq/azo_test_strips

Hope you feel better soon.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.