HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What does enlarged uterus mean? What does enlarged uterus mean?

Unread 07-27-2008, 11:12 AM
What does enlarged uterus mean?

I automatically thought when told I had an "enlarged uterus" and "large fibroid," that the fibroid was the reason my uterus is enlarged. Is that it, or does it mean something else?
Unread 07-27-2008, 11:20 AM

My dr told me (and I was surprised) that your uterus continues to grow to some extent. I had a history of anemia which was related back to my enlarged uterus (my body couldn't keep up with the amount of blood loss each month) which in turn led me to TAH on July 2nd. The enlargement can also come from the fibroids as you mentioned. Have your dr provide additional details during your next visit for clarification. Hope you are doing well!
Unread 07-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Not sure if this will answer your question but I had 10 fibroids in my uterus. I was told a "normal" uterus size is about 100g mine was 240g. It says in my report that with the enlarged uterus that I had I would not have been able to do a vaginal hysterectomy and even a TAH would have been difficult.
Unread 07-27-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks for your replies, Sisters. I was also told I am not a candidate for vaginal route either. I will be seeing a new doctor on the 12th of August. I recently had a switch in health coverage which enables me to get my second opinion then. I have another ultrasound scheduled this Wed.

Ladygal, I, too, have a history of the heavy, flooding periods, and anemia. It makes sense, the larger the uterus, the heavier the periods.

cdimples2, wow, your uterus was almost triple the size of normal. After my surgery I guess I will also find out what mine is. It feels so big, especially after eating (even something light), that my doctor and I named it Fat Albert.

Have a blessed day ladies.
Unread 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM

Mine was due to adenomyosio, it's swelling in the wall of the uterus. Mine was so swollen it expanded out and grew into my abdomen muscles and over a little bit of my bladder
Unread 07-27-2008, 04:54 PM

sounds like my problems too

fibroids filling the uterus, so i's biggr than it should be, heavy periods, major craps, anemia.. etc

my uterus is the size of if you wr 20 weeks pregnant... don't know what that is comparison to normal though
Unread 07-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Adenomyosis is another reason for an enlarged uterus.
Unread 07-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi

Yes, having a fibroid can cause you to have an enlarged uterice, i know because I too had an enlarge uterice about 12 week size from my fibroids. My doc told me the uterice grows like it would from being pregnant, when you have a fibroid, Good luck and God bless you. Denise.
Unread 07-27-2008, 06:08 PM

My uterus was enlarged because of the fibriod I had.

Good Luck with your second opinion

LSH
Enlarged Uterus with Fibriod
Unread 07-27-2008, 06:17 PM

Hi I am due to have a TAH, keeping Ovaries on 8/29/08. I also have an enlarged uterus do to multiple Firboids for sure 3. My uterus is 14.8x9.7x7.4 cm I think the noramal size uterus is 5cm so mine is pretty much 3 times the normal size and my stomach is big, I never had a big sotmach before so I could tell it was growing. My lower back aches alot too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.