HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

I need the real story, how is your libido after ovaries are removed? I need the real story, how is your libido after ovaries are removed?

Unread 07-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I need the real story, how is your libido after ovaries are removed?

I really need the real story here, I know everyone has a different effect, is libido really gone after ovaries are removed? What about natural female enhancement like Macafem, or Avlimil, or something like it?

This is my biggest issue, I've had 2 ovarian cysts in the past 5 months, and possibly another now. We were planning on leaving my ovaries, but now I'm not so sure. I'm only 33 and my sex life is extremely important to me.
Unread 07-27-2008, 01:43 PM

The short answer is YES. I had a TAH/BSO in March 2006. By the end of that year I had lost all sexual response and my nipples were numb. You will find many posts on this site from ladies who have had a similar outcome and it is not nice!
At your age I would advise you to think very carefully before having your ovaries removed unless you really have to. You will also go through an early menopause which is not good for your bones or long term health.
If you do have to have your ovaries removed in the future then you can always consider testosterone replacement along with your HRT.
That is my truth but you may also find some ladies to come along and say that having their ovaries removed has made no difference to them sexually.
But I think in the majority of cases it does
uk lady
Unread 07-27-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks!! Every bit of info I get helps! Negative or positive, I want to hear it all. Just tell it to me straight! LOL
Unread 07-27-2008, 01:55 PM

My libido is fantastic, but I just getting to my 6 week post op. I understand that it is long term that it creates a problem. Please pay attention to posts of people saying they are feeling ready because a post op common occurence is to have increased libido post op. I hope and pray as time passes I continue to find my husband to be the most irrestiable man in the world.

I think proper HRT will play an important role in keeping that interest and having a good doctor at keeping the balance right.

As you can see from my tag line, I had bad cysts also (apple size on each ovary, in fact). I concur that at this age you need to see if it is possible to remove the ovaries. My cysts were making my hormonaly CRAZY and I didn't want to hear anything but "Lets take them out" and then spend time preparing for what might happen. HRT is hard and will be with me life. Is there any other solution?
Unread 07-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love math
HRT is hard and will be with me life. Is there any other solution?
I don't know, of course this has to happen to me on a weekend, so I can't call my doc till tomorrow, assuming that he will be in the office. I know he either takes Mondays or Fridays off. I will definitely let you know what he says.

Tracy
Unread 07-27-2008, 04:51 PM

I feel for ya', hon!!

I'm having at least the right ovary removed because the cysts have become so enlarged and so painful that they've caused the ovary to also enlarge and quit functioning. My doctor said that he wants to leave the left one, but it will all depend on what it looks like when he gets in there (and if he can find it!).

My libido is zero right now and has been for many months. I've tried lots of creams, oils, etc. and only one has helped -- Zestra. I found it at Walgreens (don't know if there's one nearby where you live). It really helped!! DH loved it too! However, I don't think it would help much now because I'm in so much pain -- but I can't wait to try it again when I'm well.

My biggest worry has been how my sex life will change with my uterus and cervix gone. Those are VERY important in my pleasure and I've tried to explain to DH that things will be VERY different. We'll see what happens in a few weeks (and then healing time after that)....

All the best to you!!!
Unread 07-27-2008, 05:46 PM

I'm 48 -- had surgery in September and I finally HAVE a sex drive I made the decision to get rid of the ovaries because I was tired of ups and downs, mood swings, headaches, estrogen dominance, etc. I'm on BiEst and Testosterone and have felt wonderful. I had LSH, so I did keep the cervix. I use Replens (moisturizer), and probably could have used that years prior to surgery but again, better than ever.
Good luck!
Unread 07-27-2008, 06:26 PM

You need to do your research and not worry about what anyone else has to say positive or negative. I am only 25 and after suffering now for 15 years with endometrioisis that causus ovarian cyst, I am finally going in for my TAH/BSO. I asked my DR about this straight up because I had read and heard so many NEGATIVES. He told me that the women who do not get their sex drive back after a removal of ovaries, are those whose HRT's need to be reevaluated and changed. He said he has had nothing but positive outcome come by changing womens HRT around until the can find the right one. I researched this online, and he was write, most DR write in their medical journals (some available online) that after HRT's were changed significant improvements were made in sexual drive. I will not suffer another cyst if I can help it! It might take a while to get it right, but you just have to be patient. On another note though, I know alot of women who do not take any HRT's and have a great sex life. I am just going to take a chance, and do it. With everything you do in life you are taking a chance. As long as you are making and informed decision, and consulting not just your DR, but researching, you just have to trust that you are doing the right thing. Plus you dont want to go back and have to have them removed later. As for me I said, if your taking one thing, you are taking it all cause I dont want to ever have surgery, or pain, or periods, EVER again. Also, I have been put into a chemical menopause prior to surgery, so that it wouldnt be such a shock, and trust me, it has not affected my sex drive AT ALL! You also have to be aware that most women who have a hyst with bso who experience these problems are older, and losing your sex drive as you get older is also a side effect. I have hot flashes (not to bad), thining hair( not too bad either, and mood wings, but still desire intamacy, even more then before, since I have no pain now!
Unread 07-27-2008, 07:22 PM

I am almost 50 and I have been in menopause for some time now and I have noticed an increase in my sex drive. I am not on any meds either. I am having everything removed next month and am also worried about the sex drive because now that the kids are out of the house, I am excited about not having to worry about anything.
I think if my sex drive goes, I'm going to make sure my doctor helps me get it back with any meds that might be needed. Sex is important no matter what your age; my 92 year old grandmother agrees.
Unread 07-28-2008, 02:47 AM

Well....I kept my ovaries, but everything else is gone. My libdo is just fine. It has been almost 5 weeks. Althought I have a week to go, and I am counting the minutes until I can have intercourse with my BF. I was playing around yesterday with my vibrator(no insertion) and it is all still there. I was doing the *happy dance.* I orgasimed just like before, I was so afraid something would change. I have read stories on here, that they were not the same without the cervix. Maybe for some, but it was just as deep and satisfing as before for me!!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.